Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased the 2016 Grand touring my front passenger door sounds lie a tin can when you close it. None of the other thee doors sound like this. I asked my local dealer to look into it and they wanted $300 to spray Great Stuff expanding foam into the door. I don't think they ever took the door panel off to check. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have never been inside one of my car's doors, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was going to suggest that a tuned mass damper had come loose, but from looking through the parts diagrams, I don't believe we have them in our doors. So without anything else to suggest, I would say you need to pop the door open and take a look.

I will also say that my doors don't have a very solid feeling when they close. They feel light and tinny. I would not be surprised if they have just been made to be very light, especially if they opted out of putting tuned mass dampers in them, like most cars have these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Just seeing if anyone else had this issue. My buddy across the street has a Acura with the same issue. I'm gonna take a look this weekend. May take the driver side off as well to compare.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Use a square of CLD, (self adhesive) Constrained Layer Damping, constituting about 10% by way of area, versus the rough calc of what the entire doorskin area is. 10 -15% is all u need. Center this square, where tapping on the outside sounds the most tinny. More, and ur just adding needless weight. Also, buy some butyl rope and force it between the anti-intrusion beam and the doorskin. Should sound much better then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Use a square of CLD, (self adhesive) Constrained Layer Damping, constituting about 10% by way of area, versus the rough calc of what the entire doorskin area is. 10 -15% is all u need. Center this square, where tapping on the outside sounds the most tinny. More, and ur just adding needless weight. Also, buy some butyl rope and force it between the anti-intrusion beam and the doorskin. Should sound much better then.
OP: I second this.

I added CLD to all 4 doors and butyl rope as well. Mostly because I upgraded the sound system. My doors make a nice "thud" sound when closing.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The quarter panels of my '17 Mazda6 have what sounds like cigarette-paper-thin sheet metal. Now it doesn't oil-can, it doesn't reverberate, but even so I'm inclined to add a square of CLD tile just because... so if I tap it, it'd sound a bit better 🙂. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Mazda's "cheapness" if you want to call it that, with sheetmetal gauge. Yes, extra thickness doesn't impact drive quality, etc... and actually, thinner, might improve crash survivability... but it seems so, so cheap 😐. Checked out my buddy's '21Jetta. No such cheap feeling. Decent sheetmetal gauge. Mazda makes fragile cars 🙁.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts