Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been curious about this for a little bit now. The user hasn't gotten back to me so I figured I'd just post here and maybe some people can clear this up for me.

Ok. I dont' claim to know alot about cars. so this is probably stupid.

Anyways. a while back, I was trolling around on Cardomain at other 6's.

I came across this one http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2455618

Very nice 6.

The thing that interested me was that it's not turbo. But I noticed in the performance mods it sais

PERFORMANCE
AEM CAI, WITH PIPING FOR FRONT MOUNT

and this pictures is posted of it.

It Looks pretty cool and all I guess, but it made me confused on what the hell is up. Because his rides not turbo. but it appears he has installed an intercooler? is that even possible? specially since I don't think there is an IC kit for our cars is there? but in the mods it sais he as the AEM CAI with piping for front mount. But thats no AEM CAI i've ever seen.

Figured maybe someone could clear up this confusion i've had for a while since I havn't heard back from the owner when I asked him.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i actually saw them use this setup on a civic on HorsepowerTV (i don't know why they did a civic build, whatever) a while back. it's supposed to provide the coolest air and almost have that "ram effect" the everyone loves.

good or bad, i don't think it will do much difference for performance, but the look gets attention.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
is this a universal type mod (putting in the intercooler type thing) ? im guessing we would have to put in custom piping, which wouldnt be that much as my buddy did for his scion. I want one!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually saw them use this setup on a civic on HorsepowerTV (i don't know why they did a civic build, whatever) a while back. it's supposed to provide the coolest air and almost have that "ram effect" the everyone loves.

good or bad, i don't think it will do much difference for performance, but the look gets attention.
[/b]
Yeah I found a couple links for the Aerospeed FMIS. Alot of peopel are calling it crap. Guess this is the first I've heard or seen of anything like this myself.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to find them just to see the price with no luck

. I have no want to get one. But i've read a few honda reviews now talking about how ungodly expensive it is lol.

Oh well.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oo do i love the turbo look.

WE WANT TURBO WE WANT TURBO!
[/b]
That things is a LONG way from turbo. Might as well add the speaker the lets out the BOV sound too. lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i like that, thats bad ass lookin. Wonder if there is any water hazards..
[/b]
I believe the front mount intakes come with a lexan plastic cover to ward off rocks, bugs, etc. (which boggles my mind since you're blocking the air with it on) Not sure if the plastic cover is slightly angled or lifted off the front mount intake or not... but aren't you better off with not so many bends in the piping, for instance a CAI?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That isnt an intercooler, it is a huge open air intake, with a pipe leading out the side. And it is a cool idea, however you would have the whole water hazard issue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
That isnt an intercooler, it is a huge open air intake, with a pipe leading out the side. And it is a cool idea, however you would have the whole water hazard issue.
[/b]
water hazard...true.

plus...my car and Maf would choke on that "ram" turbulence...i'd love to know how his rides.

·
Registered
279 Posts
[/b]

i have one of those setup in closet collecting dust right now. i bought one for my integra gsr wich got stolen almost right after i drove it off the dealer. i was also wondering on wheter to rig this up wich it doens't really seems that difficult to do since the pipes looks to have the bends to fit in the 6. as for water you an always use a bypass valve (i think thats what it's called) and it also has a lexan cover on it too.

i bought it from ebay for $50-60 shipped and it's called a front mount intake :drive: :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've dipped the front of my car into a puddle twice now where water builds up at the bottom of a street without you really knowing the street has a dip in it... Only for a little bit, but enough to get that rear wet fairly easily. If I had one there, i would have been sucking liquid by now. My CPE keeps it far away from there and I love them for it, otherwise a bypass valve would be a must.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
What you guy are talking about is a "fooler cooler" aka front mount cold air intake. Its just a air intake that is made to mimick an intercooler. On some of the Honda boards it was mentioned that this actually made less power than a CAI. It won't be a ram air intake since there is a plastic shield on it to protect it from the elements. But it should in theory draw cold fresh air from that location. A lot of people consider this "rice" since its meant to fool people into thinking your car is turbocharged.

Nice link, but not what we are talking about here....
[/b]
I posted a pic of a front mount air intake in that thread. Just posted it so people can see what it looks like.

Off topic; Hey Fullmetal6, my favorite cartoon is the "Fullmetal Alchemist" on Adult Swim. Does your screenname has anything to do with that show?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts