Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my 06 Speed6 without drilled front bumper. I have have been driving without plates until I figured out a way to mount the front plate - I couldn't bring myself to drill on the car or use the huge screws provided.

It was possible to use ZIPTIES and the front mount bracket provided by Mazda attached to the plastic grill. Though it may block a bit of airflow, it looks good, is centered, and doesn't break up the front lines as much, IMHO. The bracket and plate hide the ZIPTIES great.

I guess I am slightly concerned about less airflow to the radiator, but this should be minimal right?

[attachmentid=17175][attachmentid=17176]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about less airflow.... If you are going for super extreme performance and a 10 second car... you won't be using a front plate anyway.... But for just about all normal use speed6's... you'll be fine...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I say take the whole thing off. In IL no front plate isn't a moving violation so you can't get pulled over for it unless you do something wrong then they can get you for that. I've never had a problem with no front plate.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I received my 06 Speed6 without drilled front bumper. I have have been driving without plates until I figured out a way to mount the front plate - I couldn't bring myself to drill on the car or use the huge screws provided.
[/b]
If your state requires a front plate, then your state law probably prohibits the dealer from selling a vehicle without mounting a bracket for a front plate. Most states require dealers to do this if a front license plate is required. Check your laws and bring it back to the dealer if the law requires it.

·
Registered
380 Posts

It was possible to use ZIPTIES and the front mount bracket provided by Mazda attached to the plastic grill. Though it may block a bit of airflow, it looks good, is centered, and doesn't break up the front lines as much, IMHO. The bracket and plate hide the ZIPTIES great.

I guess I am slightly concerned about less airflow to the radiator, but this should be minimal right?

[/b]
Your lucky, the first thing I did was remove my front plate after I bought the car to see those two awful drill holes in my bumper :( I really wish they didnt do this :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
856 Posts
I used the touch-up paint Mazda sent me to paint over those holes.
I would much rather have 2 small holes than a front plate, It just ruins the lines on the front of the car.
Yes, I live in Texas, and they do require front plates. I would almost be willing to say about 35% of the cars on the road here don't have a front plate.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm also in Texas and know multiple people that have received a ticket for no front plates. Mine is installed and since the procedure I have rarely noticed the front plate. I was sad initially, but a year will make you forget...

·
Registered
364 Posts
On my trip to Ruidoso ,NM; I got a warning in Fort Stockton for no front plate (on top of my speeding citation).

There is no way I'm cluttering up that sweet front-end with an ugly plate. :nana:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm also in Texas and know multiple people that have received a ticket for no front plates. Mine is installed and since the procedure I have rarely noticed the front plate. I was sad initially, but a year will make you forget...
[/b]
I know a lot of people as well that get pulled over for that, but like you said, they are usually caught doing something else.
It doesn't take much to get a front plate ticket dismissed, just an inconvenience. I'm willing to take an inconvenience vs an ugly plate and bracket up there.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't blame you for that mindset, I agree with the looks. The problem down here is, maybe it's a Houston cop thing, that the cops will often park in the busy u-turns under freeway over passes and just wave you over and give tickets for no front plates and no seatbelts. Sometimes they have multiple cars pulled over at once, but they can do it easily since we are all stuck in the traffic in the u-turn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I say take the whole thing off. In IL no front plate isn't a moving violation so you can't get pulled over for it unless you do something wrong then they can get you for that. I've never had a problem with no front plate.
[/b]
Not in Chicago, ticket Marshalls has a list to check from no front/expired plates to city sticker. Money proceeds from parking and non moving violations is a $398,000,000 income for the City of Chicago alone.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
VA requires a plate but i bought my car in PA. :)

the plate sits between the passenger seat and center console

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
VA requires a plate but i bought my car in PA. :)

the plate sits between the passenger seat and center console
[/b]

YOu'll get pulled over soon or later. I had mine on the dash but was pulled over twice. I got tired of paying the fine so put the plate on.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Mine has the stupid thing because I bought it in Illinois. I don't like it, but I don't think i'm ready to see those 2 holes in the bumper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not in Chicago, ticket Marshalls has a list to check from no front/expired plates to city sticker. Money proceeds from parking and non moving violations is a $398,000,000 income for the City of Chicago alone.
[/b]
I did get ticketed in chicago a couple of time for no front plate but also got a packing ticket at the same time. On the ticket is mentioned that if I got it fixed that they would excuse the fine. So I took some tape and double sided it to my front bumper and took a picture to show that I fixed it. :nana: Paid the parking fine and have heard nothing from them since.

Front plates blow!!!

BTW... told the dealer to take of bracket before delivery.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I hate the front plate but because of an extreme amount of fatalities due to street racing, the cops in Sac. are really cracking down on cars that look modified and those cars usually don't have front plates.

Street racing got so bad here that the Feds gave a 5 million dollar training grant to Cali to train the varoius city traffic divisions around the state to look for and pull over modified street cars.

The grant program kicked off in Sac. and the first thing at the top of the list for a pull over inspection is the missing front plate if the car looks "riced out". It goes downhill if the cops start lifting hoods and they break out the measuring tape to check ride height. :tear:

·
Registered
998 Posts

[/b]
I'll trade you bumpers. I want an undrilled bumper. I hate front plate laws.

Jason

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'll trade you bumpers. I want an undrilled bumper. I hate front plate laws.

Jason
[/b]
Dude, you beat me to it. I want an undrilled bumper!!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Live in new jersey here and when i was with my friend in his RX8 he has the license plate in the front windshield on the dash and out of nowhere a state trooper bagged him for unclear front license. Nice amount ticket to. sucks

·
Registered
987 Posts
I recently put the plate on the dash because of gate cops giving me crap. It's clearly visible from any angle in front of the car. I have a worry though....Would a cop take notice of no front plate because it stands out more in the windshield? Would that cop have noticed it if the plate wasn't in the windshield at all?

I get these questions from this story of mine. 3:00 a.m. absolutley no cars on the road. NO LEFT TURN sign, a small curb for a median, and my Jeep. I make a left over the median and get pulled over...Cops statment: I was eating at McD's and saw you hop the median because you used your turn signal! :slap: Gave me a warning.

Would he have seen me if I didn't use my signal...probably not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts