Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blown Bose speaker in the right front door, and would like to replace both speakers at the same time with an aftermarket set. I previously had a Nissan Maxima with Bose, but this was back in the early 2000s. As I recall, replacing things with aftermarket was a bit of a hassle unless you re-wired the entire car and replaced everything. I have no interest in doing that, I don't want or need to add an amp or subwoofers. I've been researching both this forum and google searching and have seen mixed results, but it seems like I may be able to just throw any 2 ohm speakers in there and they should be a tremendous upgrade over the Bose paper garbage. Has anyone replaced just the speakers in a Bose equipped 6?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well both true and false.

You CAN throw in some 2ohm speakers and have them work. But the quality of sound is going to be bad. The bose amp is not very strong, so those speakers you just replaced aren't going to have the power to sound good. Next problem, and the biggest problem, is the eq that is in the bose amp. Since the bose amp is sending an eq'ued signal preset to the stock bose speakers, the new speakers will sound horrible. Replacing or bypassing the bose amp will help get the most out of new speakers.

To say you're going to hear a tremendous upgrade by just replacing the stock speakers is absolutely false. You will hear a slight upgrade, BUT you will hear more of the shortcomings of the stock system. It will sound lifeless and muddy. When most people start replacing just the speakers, they rip out/ bypass the whole thing in a relative short amount of time.

Sent from my S7E .. RIP N7.. ='(

·
Registered
56 Posts
I fully second what toy4x said on this matter.

I love seeing people add an aftermarket amp but I understand why you might not want to. It makes such a difference but it does cost money and takes either time to install or additional money to have someone else do it.

What are your thoughts on getting an aftermarket amp at this time?

Another thing to remember is when you start replacing the amp, you might want to replace ALL of your speakers at that time as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fully second what toy4x said on this matter.

I love seeing people add an aftermarket amp but I understand why you might not want to. It makes such a difference but it does cost money and takes either time to install or additional money to have someone else do it.

What are your thoughts on getting an aftermarket amp at this time?

Another thing to remember is when you start replacing the amp, you might want to replace ALL of your speakers at that time as well.
If it was as simple as adding a small 4 channel 250 or so watt amp I would consider it. I'm guessing it's not that simple and I would need a Line Output Converter or something along those lines for the input of the amp (not replacing the factory nav)? I would be fine with factory quality sound, I just can't deal with the paper rattling sound of a blown speaker and don't want to deal with another blown speaker down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it was as simple as adding a small 4 channel 250 or so watt amp I would consider it. I'm guessing it's not that simple and I would need a Line Output Converter or something along those lines for the input of the amp (not replacing the factory nav)? I would be fine with factory quality sound, I just can't deal with the paper rattling sound of a blown speaker and don't want to deal with another blown speaker down the road.
What did you end up doing? Im in a similar situation. Don't have enough cash to do a proper upgrade so I want to replace the front door speakers so that they sound the same as when Bose speakers were new. The woofer is really shallow and Im not sure if I can replace it with an aftermarket 9" or 8" woofer in the door.

·
Banned
886 Posts
They will not sound the same as the bose speakers though. You can have the dealer replace that particular speaker and it will probably cost the same as going and installing 2 aftermarket speakers and replacing the bose amp

I have bose and if one went crap I would just pay the dealer, too much trouble going aftermarket and you could mess up something. 2014 here so far speakers solid maybe cause i domt drive much so i rarely use them

Why do they go bad? I wish I knew

·
Banned
886 Posts
You can get an amp and speakers, but the installation is probably gonna be a pain in the ass.

If bose speakers are good, I wouldn't mess with neither the speakers or amp. Just an second aftermarket amp on the trunk with subwoofer, that should be enough to make everything sound a little better. No need to spend more unless you are one of those sound freaks

·
Banned
886 Posts
Just have the dealer replace the speaker and do the installation, it will be warranted, and if something goes bad, you can have them fix or replace since is an oem part

If you go aftermarket, the speaker could fail too, if you install it yourself, would they give you another one free of charge or replace it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
https://youtu.be/X2iz_s9Nbw0

Guys check out the video above I bet it can help a lot of members here.

Sorry I don’t want to jack this thread but our Mazda 6 doesn’t have a Bose system so could I get away with just regular 4 ohms speakers and will it sound as good as it does now??
Thanks! RJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
They will not sound the same as the bose speakers though. You can have the dealer replace that particular speaker and it will probably cost the same as going and installing 2 aftermarket speakers and replacing the bose amp

I have bose and if one went crap I would just pay the dealer, too much trouble going aftermarket and you could mess up something. 2014 here so far speakers solid maybe cause i domt drive much so i rarely use them

Why do they go bad? I wish I knew
They go bad because water leaks through the window and drips down to the speaker. The speaker rusts a bit then pulls away from the housing. The fix is to take the speaker out and re-glue it. You can iTunes the fix. It’s very common. Just saved tons of money and did this fix. It totally worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts