Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys heres the issue..

in my ms6 if i decide that i need/want to use the front defroster it disables the ability to use the internal cabin air. It basically forces you to use outside air when tou have the front windshield defroster on. This is an EXTREME PAIN IN THE A55. Theres nothing quite like driving on the NJ Turnpike through the swamp-marshlands AKA "the meadowlands" and being forced to breath not only the toxic outside air from the deisel chugging smog spitting box-truck in front of you but the NASTY smell of death that you have to smell while driving past Newark.

doesn anyone know if this can be altered??

thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Manual says this has to do with the compressor. I doubt it's a feature than can ever be altered.

Funny I just posted a thread sort of like this one.

·
Registered
940 Posts

in my ms6 if i decide that i need/want to use the front defroster it disables the ability to use the internal cabin air. It basically forces you to use outside air when tou have the front windshield defroster on. This is an EXTREME PAIN IN THE A55. Theres nothing quite like driving on the NJ Turnpike through the swamp-marshlands AKA "the meadowlands" and being forced to breath not only the toxic outside air from the deisel chugging smog spitting box-truck in front of you but the NASTY smell of death that you have to smell while driving past Newark.

thanks
[/b]
Makes sense - for years many cars have had warnings to not turn on recirc when trying to defrost (I specifically remember a friends probe had a sticker on the climate control when they took delivery) - I guess mazda just forced the issue.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Theres nothing quite like driving on the NJ Turnpike through the swamp-marshlands AKA "the meadowlands" and being forced to breath not only the toxic outside air from the deisel chugging smog spitting box-truck in front of you but the NASTY smell of death that you have to smell while driving past Newark.
[/b]
Heh! I've attended a conference in March for the last 3 years in Woodbridge, NJ and I can attest to the smell of Newark first hand! Ugh, that place is like hell on earth!!! I even flew Jet Blue to JFK and drove 45 miles this year to avoid having to go through EWR :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
rather than max defrost, select feet+windshield mode ... should allow recirc but will likely require some ac compressor use, and may also have a timer on recirc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense - for years many cars have had warnings to not turn on recirc when trying to defrost (I specifically remember a friends probe had a sticker on the climate control when they took delivery) - I guess mazda just forced the issue.
[/b]
Why does this make sense? This is the first car i've ever seen that dis-allows the use of internal air.

Heh! I've attended a conference in March for the last 3 years in Woodbridge, NJ and I can attest to the smell of Newark first hand! Ugh, that place is like hell on earth!!! I even flew Jet Blue to JFK and drove 45 miles this year to avoid having to go through EWR :)
[/b]
LOL- yeah- its not a please odor--- especially in the summer. The only thing in the summer that makes it bearable is that you can crank AC and Recirc...But this morning when it was raining and my windows were fogging it was not fair that i had to breath that death in.

rather than max defrost, select feet+windshield mode ... should allow recirc but will likely require some ac compressor use, and may also have a timer on recirc.
[/b]

I thought i tried that and wasnt able to...ill doublecheck tonight.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
[/b]
Correction, if you select that mode, you are stuck with ac and no recirc.

Closest I could get to what you want in Jersey is select acc and set temp highish, fan as needed. If cool/cold out, it soon defaults to feet only, which also sends some air to windshield. AS long as ACC selects this mode, and you don't, you can switch ac on or off, and select recirc, and still get some defogging. Wotked for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why does this make sense? This is the first car i've ever seen that dis-allows the use of internal air.
[/b]
In the winter, when your windshield is cold, any moisture hitting it tends to condense, because the temperature drops below the dew point. Therefore, if the humidity inside the car is high, you will get internal condensation on the windshield, obscuring your vision. This is a safety issue. When you breathe inside the car, you add to the humidity. With the climate control on recirculate, the humidity has no place to go, so builds up, thereby increasing the risk of obscuring your vision. The longer you recirculate internal air, the more humidity increases and the more likely you will fog the windshield. If you refresh the cabin air with outside air, the evaporator coils in the A/C unit dry the air as it comes into the system. Therefore you are expelling humid air and bringing in dry air. This avoids the fogging problem altogether.

Most systems do not automatically turn on the compressor when the outside air temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because heating the air to normal cabin temperatures lowers the relative humidity so that moisture which hits a cold surface will not reach the dew point and condense. If you need the defroster, just be safe and enjoy the odor. ;) If your windshield is not frosting up, just use the floor or dash vents. :yesnod:

Additionally, most new automatic climate control systems have this same feature. The companies do it to avoid liability lawsuits. If they allowed this and your windshield fogged, causing an accident, they fear that you would hold them responsible and sue.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts

thanks
[/b]
Im from bergen county NJ and feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have a solution to this problem for everyone. Rain-X makes a liquid solution that wipes on the inside of the winshield and windows, appropriately called Fog-X. I have been using it for years and my windows rarely fog. You should give it a try.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have a solution to this problem for everyone. Rain-X makes a liquid solution that wipes on the inside of the winshield and windows, appropriately called Fog-X. I have been using it for years and my windows rarely fog. You should give it a try.
[/b]
I am considering that (just rain-x'ed the outside of my new windshield last night), but heard people complaining about condensation and weirdness with it. You have had no issues?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I am considering that (just rain-x'ed the outside of my new windshield last night), but heard people complaining about condensation and weirdness with it. You have had no issues?
[/b]
My cars always get Rain-X and Fog-X. Water beads off it like it was coated in Crisco and no fog.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've been using Rain-X for years. It works well if you don't put a lot on (follow the directions) and really give a good polish afterwards. However it does need to be reapplied about every month. I used to use Fog-X but haven't for a while.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replies...I guess im stuck just breathing that crap. I will give "fog-x" a try....its worth a shot.

You know whats funny- i asked if there were any way i could "alter" the situation...Im suprised no one bounced back with a "You could move"!!...lol :p

Anyway- thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
thanks for all the replies...I guess im stuck just breathing that crap. I will give "fog-x" a try....its worth a shot.

You know whats funny- i asked if there were any way i could "alter" the situation...Im suprised no one bounced back with a "You could move"!!...lol :p

Anyway- thanks again guys!
[/b]
I was going to tell you to move, but then I remembered how adament you NY/NJ people are about certain things and one of them, your state pride.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Correction, if you select that mode, you are stuck with ac and no recirc.

Closest I could get to what you want in Jersey is select acc and set temp highish, fan as needed. If cool/cold out, it soon defaults to feet only, which also sends some air to windshield. AS long as ACC selects this mode, and you don't, you can switch ac on or off, and select recirc, and still get some defogging. Wotked for me.
[/b]
It's on AC if the temp is at 60-70.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts