Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got my 6 up on stands right now. I'm replacing the control arms due to a horrible creak that's been developing. (166k miles on the car - all original.)

I was going about removing the ball joints the old fashioned way (BFH) and it seems the actual sleeve has removed from the hub/spindle. I took the rear lower out and attempted to remove it. Unfortunately i've lost the battle. It withstood major abuse, heat, and swearing. And is sitting on my garage floor, mocking me.

I've looked at a few parts diagrams but can't seem to locate this part/number so i can just go buy replacements for the new arms (which don't come with this part...)

Any help is appreciated. Car is dead in the water right now.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Did it actually move or are you "thinking" it moved. That sleeve does not sit flush. You can kinda see in these pics:

I have removed the control arms many times - I recall thinking the first time "is that sleeve supposed to be flush?"

CR

·
Registered
13 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I was trying to change my control arms. I used the ball joint removal tool to get it out. The way the tool works is that it pushes the ball joint out of the sleeve from one side. Due to the this the sleeve was coming out at an angle, which is not good. I immediately stopped it and placed the removal tool on the other side and it just popped out with a loud bang! It took me some heating and a lot of pb blaster soaking to achieve this. Now, when i think about it more, it seems that taking the sleeve out when the other end of the control arm is connected to the car might be easier. Good luck anyway.

That's the tool I used.
Amazon.com: GearWrench 3916D Universal Ball Joint Separator: Home Improvement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

All four actually removed themselves from the hub/spindle. Thanks for the additional pics though.

I found the part: GJ-6A33023C (mazda reference 33-022)
BUSH (GJ6A-33-023C) - $14.16 - GJ6A33023C

More back story: I rented a pickle fork for the job from Oreilly's. He gave me one that was barely too small. So, since i already had most of the car apart, i defaulted to the BFH instead of going back and getting a different size or that puller tool. (no second vehicle for a couple more hours, no battery in the moto.)

The local Mazda dealer just happens to have 4 replacements in stock ($18/ea). Once my wife is home and i can take her car, i'm going to go pick them up, and the proper size pickle and puller.

I'll see if i can salvage the remaining three but based on how much effort i put into the first one without it budging, the Minnesota winters have fused those parts forever.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I popped them off with a pitman arm puller and put them back in. Not really the best proposition in my opinion, but it worked. I hate those things. They're the worst part about doing front end work on one of these cars. I don't think a pickle fork is going to break those things loose, but good luck.

I put some loctite sleeve retainer on mine when I put them back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I popped them off with a pitman arm puller and put them back in. Not really the best proposition in my opinion, but it worked. I hate those things. They're the worst part about doing front end work on one of these cars. I don't think a pickle fork is going to break those things loose, but good luck.

I put some loctite sleeve retainer on mine when I put them back in.
Pickle fork didn't have the height to actually apply force. -Fail
Press kit didn't have a small enough ring and my over sized sockets are in my truck, at the shop - Fail
I didn't get the pit man kit. My bad. - Fail

Parts guy gave me a good deal on the replacements, $14/ea. Not exactly thrilled at the additional expense, but i'll call it a - Win

Took it out for a spin, all the creaks and groans are gone!

New symptom... ABS and the two TCS lights are on. Must have hit something while i was under there. WHOOPS!

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts