Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The camber on our cars goes positive when you lower them. Without the camber bolts you would likely have positive camber on the front. Its a good thing you got them. Did you use them in the top holes? that is where they should be if I remember right.
It goes negative but only to a certain degree. When I installed these I had hoped to go past OEM specs to tuck the wheel in a little more under the fender and go lower. I did install in the top holes. Results may be different for everyone depending on how low you already are.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Results are in!

DO NOT spend your money on these camber bolts! When it says adjust-ability of +/- 1.75 degrees it means from a position of no camber at all, 0 degrees if you will. So if you're like me and you're already lowered installing these bolts will not add extra negative camber past maximum OEM specs. However, if you are lowered and for some reason you wish to add positive camber then this would work.

The idea for me was to remove the collars on my front coils for better fitment and to run a little more negative camber. Hoping this was a solution I installed them after I removed the collars, and reinstalled the coils. When I tried to adjust the bolt for more negative camber it was already maxed out. Reinstalled the wheels and hoped for the best, there was slightly more negative camber but I'm sure its as a result of the missing collars and spinning the shock down as opposed to the addition of camber bolts.
It isn't that they don't work it is just that they don't work enough to make us happy apparently. Only giving maybe .5-.7 degrees, instead of 1.75.

I think the long length of our struts geometrically reduces the amount of change these bolts can give.

When I get my new struts I'm going to slot the upper holes slightly on a bench with a dremel grinder and use these bolts. I hope to get close to 1.5 negative front to match the roughly 1.5 negative rear when dropped.

I think slotting the strut is more palatable to me with these bolts because they are undersize diameter and clearly not relying on shear through the interface to do there job which means the slots don't have to be that precise to be both effective and safe.

·
Registered
779 Posts
So I just lowered mine on the Tanabe NF210 and the wheels don't look as straight anymore.

My understanding is that these bolts can adjust that?

Will a normal adjustment help or do I require the kit?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I finally put on my tanabes yesterday along with the camber bolts. Opened them up all the the way.

Went and got the alignment done today.

Fronts are at negative 1 and rears are at negative .5 right after the install of the springs and the camber bolts without him touching anything. So he left it there. Toe is in 1/8

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I just lowered mine on the Tanabe NF210 and the wheels don't look as straight anymore.

My understanding is that these bolts can adjust that?

Will a normal adjustment help or do I require the kit?
Do you mean straight as in up and down? Then the answer is yes. These bolts allow you to adjust the camber. Get the bolts and get an alignment. You can install them yourself or have your alignment shop install them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I finally put on my tanabes yesterday along with the camber bolts. Opened them up all the the way.

Went and got the alignment done today.

Fronts are at negative 1 and rears are at negative .5 right after the install of the springs and the camber bolts without him touching anything. So he left it there. Toe is in 1/8
Seems like it was Tanabe day yesterday :)

Are you using these bolts here?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another question, for all 4 sides .. do I need 4 kits?
Just one for both front sides. The bolts are not for the rear. If you wanted to eliminate some of th negative camber in the rear you need the adjustable rear camber arms.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just contacted SPC performance technical line about their camber bolts. They said there is no safety issue associated with using two sets of camber bolts (both top and bottom bolts, both sides), just that the second set for the bottom will not offer nearly as much additional change in camber as the upper set, maybe only half.

These bolts are so cheap in the grand scheme of things, I'd pay for another set to get the camber that much closer to the desired value for a street performance setup (1-1.5 deg negative camber).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently dropped my car with Megan Racing Coilovers on new rims, and aligned the car. I ended up needing camber bolts and arms, but it seems that the camber bolts didn't do enough. I wanted to go slightly negative with my camber for performance reasons, but I don't really know what these numbers mean. This is what the shop did with the parts I installed. Could someone translate? Please and thanks.

Left Front / Right Front
Camber / -2.0 / -2.2

Toe / 0.02 / 0.03

Left Rear / Right Rear
Camber / -1.8 / -1.8

Toe / 0.08 / 0.10​

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for all the info on here guys.

I'm planning on lowering my car most likely will go tanabe springs cause I dont want my car slammed, been there done that. Will most likely get new struts/shocks KONI yellows or LSD? I think is the other version.

Anyway I don't want any negative camber from stock, so if I read all of this correctly I can jus add these camber bolts to get some negative camber to make up for the positive camber lowering will produce?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently dropped my car with Megan Racing Coilovers on new rims, and aligned the car. I ended up needing camber bolts and arms, but it seems that the camber bolts didn't do enough. I wanted to go slightly negative with my camber for performance reasons, but I don't really know what these numbers mean. This is what the shop did with the parts I installed. Could someone translate? Please and thanks.

Left Front / Right Front
Camber / -2.0 / -2.2

Toe / 0.02 / 0.03

Left Rear / Right Rear
Camber / -1.8 / -1.8

Toe / 0.08 / 0.10​

Dang you hit -2* using only camber bolts up front? That's pretty good.

Another resurrection but this topic is very interesting to me now that I have my air ride in. My long term plan is custom arms to reach double digit negative camber all around.

Any further input on what a super low coilover or bagged setup brought you alignment wise is helpful.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I'm planning on lowering my car most likely will go tanabe springs cause I dont want my car slammed, been there done that. Will most likely get new struts/shocks KONI yellows or LSD? I think is the other version.

Anyway I don't want any negative camber from stock, so if I read all of this correctly I can jus add these camber bolts to get some negative camber to make up for the positive camber lowering will produce?

Thanks in advance

Yes just one set installed per manufacturers instructions will get the job done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just confirming since I only saw one person post this but our size is 16mm?

Also for those commenting on natural rear camber with a drop. It can get quite extreme. When I fully air out I am about 4.1 - 4.3 degress negative depending on which side.

·
Banned
886 Posts

Thanks in advance

Slammed? ? Not even the corksport springs will slam the car. I've seen slammed cars on real life and youtube, the corksport and h&r look like monster trucks in comparison. The Tanabe, you may be dissapointed of how little change it has, especially at first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Camber bolts are an effective and affordable solution for suspensions without camber adjustment. Eibach makes them as well if you want a reputable product. In fact, my old Genesis Coupe R-Spec came with camber bolts for track days or whatever. I say go for it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts