Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody else had there rotors and pads replaced so early and any luck with dealers.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/airbusmazda6/BrakeRotors004.jpg[/img]]Pics of inside surface rotor

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/airbusmazda6/BrakeRotors003.jpg[/img]]Pics inside rotor surface.

Sliders were good and piston was not stuck but these have been bad from the 31000 km mark. Dealer don't want to hear about it unless under 20000 kms. Marks that are on the rotor surface are from the 10 lb sledge I had to use to remove the rotors from hub.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
those rotors look in terrible condition!!

I have to replace my rotors but i m at 160,000 km
getting slotted ones

·
Registered
682 Posts
Those are your fronts? My rear's were pretty bad after the car sat in storage for a while...they are just about toast at 90,000 kms but the fronts are fine.

Overall, how hard was it to change the rotors out on your own?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are your fronts? My rear's were pretty bad after the car sat in storage for a while...they are just about toast at 90,000 kms but the fronts are fine.

Overall, how hard was it to change the rotors out on your own?
[/b]
I'd say the hardest part of the fronts is removing the 2 set screws if they are stuck in which case just drill them out and removing the rotor from the hub assembly. There is a threaded hole in the rotor that a 10 mm bolt can fit into to force the rotor off the hub but you have to make sure it is a hard steel or will strip the bolt. I think it is 10 mm anyways, someone can correct me if I am wrong. I didn't try the bolt and just used a 10 lb sledge and still took me an hr to get the two rotors off. The mounting bracket for the caliper is just 2 bolts which are 17 mm if memory serves me correct and the caliper slider uses a 8 mm allen key which is under a dust cap.

All in all if first time give yourself a 2-3 hr window for up and down on the ground, if your first time give a bit more time. There is a good write up on mazda6tech regarding the pad replacment and your are just going the extra step for the rotor replacement. Use a good grease for the sliders when you put them back together and anti seize the big bolts for the caliper bracket and set screws and easier next time around.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^Thanks much for the tip. It looks like I'll be doing this in the very near future.

By any chance, do you work at Goodrich?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Airbusmazda6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing