Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys seen the brake dust boots get torn? the ones that surround the brake piston.

I had my brake pads replaced a few months ago at a local shop and they said the boots were torn, i took it to the dealer and they said it would be $300 to fix and they didn't think that the boots were torn bad enough to warrant being fixed at the time.

I replaced the pads again today, going from hawk hps to performance ceramics. I looked at the boots today and yeah they are pretty well torn. It's on the bottom and looks like it ripped.

Now my question is does anyone know what would cause this? The brakes were stock when i took them to the local shop to have the hps pads put on, they told me they were torn but they couldn't fix it because they didn't have the parts. It is torn in the same spot on both sides, the dealer thought it was unusual.

Could this be caused by normal driving? Do you think the shop could have torn them replacing the brakes? Should i pay the $300 to get it fixed? I couldn't figure out how they would get torn doing a brake job though it seemed easy enough to me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have any of you guys seen the brake dust boots get torn? the ones that surround the brake piston.

I had my brake pads replaced a few months ago at a local shop and they said the boots were torn, i took it to the dealer and they said it would be $300 to fix and they didn't think that the boots were torn bad enough to warrant being fixed at the time.

I replaced the pads again today, going from hawk hps to performance ceramics. I looked at the boots today and yeah they are pretty well torn. It's on the bottom and looks like it ripped.

Now my question is does anyone know what would cause this? The brakes were stock when i took them to the local shop to have the hps pads put on, they told me they were torn but they couldn't fix it because they didn't have the parts. It is torn in the same spot on both sides, the dealer thought it was unusual.

Could this be caused by normal driving? Do you think the shop could have torn them replacing the brakes? Should i pay the $300 to get it fixed? I couldn't figure out how they would get torn doing a brake job though it seemed easy enough to me.[/b]
Just buy a caliper rebuild kit maybe 3-5 bucks from a parts store dont replace the caliper o ring just the boot

Get a flathead screwdriver and a set of needle nose pliers and pry the old one out and press in the new boot, Don’t worry about the caliper o-ring you will be ok without replacing it, Unless you have brake fluid leaking out 20-30 min job max G/L You cant do it!!
And then take $295 you saved and do a mod of some sort :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it can't really be that easy can it? Why would the dealer charge me so much money if it's that easy? they said it would be a few hours to do it because they have to completely remove the caliper from the car and disassemble it. I've never had any problems with this dealer and they seem like straight shooters.

Hmmm i'll have to look into this.

Nobody else has had this happen??

·
Registered
430 Posts
it can't really be that easy can it? Why would the dealer charge me so much money if it's that easy? they said it would be a few hours to do it because they have to completely remove the caliper from the car and disassemble it. I've never had any problems with this dealer and they seem like straight shooters.

Hmmm i'll have to look into this.

Nobody else has had this happen??[/b]
The only reason to remove the piston is if it is leaking then in that case you replace the o-ring then the boot if its not leaking just replace the boot, you have all ready replaced your brakes your self so it will be an eazy fix for you, and if you feal need to replace the o-ring take the caliper off and pump your brake pedal till the piston pops out, clean the inside of the caliper out and sand with lite sand paper replace the o-ring put the piston in, and replace the boot and press the piston in with a big c-clamp and bleed your brakes it's not hard at all, I have done it many times save your money for a cpe cai or obx headers,tires,rims, ect... :D :D :D

http://www.stylintrucks.com/Articles/brake...ng/article.aspx
http://homepage.mac.com/joeyh/PhotoAlbum20.html
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/caliper.htm
http://www.firstfives.org/faq/brakes/in-pr...perRebuild.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
Did this work?

Just saw this tonight thank god. I did all my brakes and noticed both front dust boots were torn... gotta replace both, but I'm not leaking fluid and have no issues with the brakes (especially since I replaced the pads and rotors today) so you really don't need to take the caliper off and pop out the piston? You can force it in with a flat head screwdriver?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just buy a caliper rebuild kit maybe 3-5 bucks from a parts store dont replace the caliper o ring just the boot

Get a flathead screwdriver and a set of needle nose pliers and pry the old one out and press in the new boot, Don’t worry about the caliper o-ring you will be ok without replacing it, Unless you have brake fluid leaking out 20-30 min job max G/L You cant do it!!
And then take $295 you saved and do a mod of some sort :D

This was a terrific tip, thank you. I was able to replace the boot cover without removing the caliper from the hose. One tip I'd give is that the bottom of the boot where it is closest to the "claw" part of the caliper is almost impossible to get a screwdriver into; I solved this by gently rotating the boot a few degrees so that the part of the boot that was already pushed in rotated to the hard to access part, and then the section that was hard to reach became accessible. Just be gentle so that you don't tear the new boot.

Also be sure to push the caliper out as far as possible (depress the brake) so that you can clean the piston before putting the new boot on. Mine was filthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
toecheese
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing