Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyways, after I finished my last set of headers I noticed that one of the primaries comes within about 2in. of my alternator. It took me a month to find the energy to research and buy header tape. So for a month this primary was exposed to the alt. I should also point out that I have a pc680 battery and it is now almost 2 years old. The bottom line is that if the car sits for 3 days without being started it will no longer start on its own. Ok guys lets hear it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
How many miles are on it?Doubt the headers fried it,the headers runs at a cooler temperature than the stock exhaust because of the pre-cats that come off the manifold.Do you have a aftermarket stereo?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the headers runs at a cooler temperature than the stock exhaust because of the pre-cats that come off the manifold.
[/b]
I dont understand this.

No aftermarket stereo, 16,000 miles

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
The pre-cats retain heat and stay hotter than the headers.Take it in for warranty repair

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I think it's the battery getting drained by the car when not in use. The radio and other fuctions like alarms need to have power to run. Also temps are getting colder now and that could attribute to it. If you have a volt gauge you should be able to tell if your alternator is dead or dieing. When the car is on is there a reading of less than 14.4V. (unless of course you are operating all the windows and sunroof at the same time)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no no. I have headers that I made myself! And one of the primaries comes that close.

So you think it's just the cold prolly?

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is possible that you have fried some of the diodes in the alternator, if the alt has reached a high enough temp. I used to work for Bosch, remanufacturing them, and saw that alot.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I have the same battery. I also have an alarm and aftermarket radio. If the car sits without being driven for 3 days it won't start. The purpose was to reduce weight. I could throw in my Optima yellow top but as of right now I don't drive the car enough to care. I just hook it up to a battery charger to make sure i keep power to it. Try another battery. Grab one from someones elses car. Do a swap to save money and see how that goes. Alt. should be fine. I have headers as well and the heat shield needed to be modified to accomodate them. Also, the are pieces of plastic in the engine that are closer to the headers than the alt.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the advice guys. Much appreciated!

I'm going to throw the old charger on there from now on and if it gets worse I'll know its the alt.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
No no no. I have headers that I made myself! And one of the primaries comes that close.

So you think it's just the cold prolly? [/b]
let's do some simple troubleshooting:

you can have both the battery and the alternator tested at most of the auto parts chain stores. charge the battery fully and have it tested with a load tester.

finally you can also have the starter tested to see if it's drawing too much under a load, that could also be your problem in cold weather.

obviously if either the battery, starter or alternator fails the test that's your problem. if not, then you need to find out if something in the electrical system is draining your battery when the car sits.

once the problem has been solved it might be a good idea to make yourself a heat shield out of some aluminum sheet to help the alternator out a bit.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To the people who have been following this thread night and day, the battery was fried! I can't believe it cuz it's only 1.5 years old! Anyways the worst part is that I emailed the company and they wont reply.

Also my 6 is now top-heavy by like 50lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts