Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the friction rating of the Mazda replacement brake pads for the 3rd gen? 2015, if I have to pick a model year.

What about the friction rating of the popular aftermarket pads?

I'm accustomed to seeing this stuff advertized for motorcycle brake pads, but it seems like no one wants to tell us what they are for car pads.

I'd like a pad that has equal (or better) friction vs. Mazda pads, but ideally a bit more fade resistance. I'd also take reduced dust if I had a choice. I do NOT want squeally pads, though.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Youve been in threads where weve talked about brakes and pads, guess you didnt read all of it? As far as real numbers, i dont think so. With stock ceramic pads i could tri-pod my 3 during autox. Im running Centric rotors and Power Stop Z23 pads now and with 200TW tires can invoke ABS if that tells you anything.

With stock pads i never got brake fade, nor warped rotors once i changed the shitty ones that were on the car when i got it. They got ruined from sitting on the car lot almost 2 months in the rain not being driven till i bought it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read them all. I can't find the info I just asked for in them, though I thought I'd seen a post about it somewhere.

I'm undecided on the braking system. Our 6 shakes its wheel under braking. Sometimes a shocking amount, other times just gently. If it's shaking hard, I can brake harder and longer and get most all of that to go away (at least until someone else drives it a couple times). That suggests to me the problem is the pad material rather than the rotors, or perhaps the combination of pads and rotors. I am fairly happy with initial bite, feel, etc. I don't want whatever it is between the Mazda pads and Mazda rotors that causes 'stuff' to deposit and make the car feel like it has warped rotors. I'd like a little higher fade resistance in case I sell the pickup and put a hitch on the car. I am able to do without that, though, even in the mountains here.

All that adds up to: I'd like to know the friction ratings of the Mazda pads, and any aftermarket pads people know those ratings for.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Youre asking for a value that doesnt really exist in a hard number, at least that i ever seen. Tire Rack has a bar graph that shows data (dust, noise, braking) on a scale of 1-5, but only on stuff they sell.

If your steering wheel shakes, your rotors are warped plain and simple, has nothing to do with the pads, but you should replace both and bed them properly. The fact that the shaking goes away some means youre super heating the rotors and slightly smoothing them out more or less.

The Silent Stop pads i got last summer are basically a 2 for braking and 5 for low dust and noise. The Power Stop Z23s are highly popular for autocross and i see why.

Im not sure anyone on here has much more data, you might have to browse multiple forums and sites and gather the data you think you want.

Power Stop, Centric, EBC are all good brands.

Bottom line is, buy good quality stuff and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There is an alphabetical designator for friction of brake pads at cold and at hot temperatures. They are mandated by USDOT, and are required to be painted or stamped on all street-legal brake pads in the USA. I assume, but do not know, that Transport Canada has a similar regulation. The ratings look like:
AA
HH
FG
and similar. A is lower friction, and friction level increases as you go through the alphabet. The first letter is a ‘cold’ rating. The second is a ‘hot’ rating, but also gives you a rough idea of fade characteristics. The codes are derived from testing in accordance with SAE J866A. Friction level “E” is generally comparable to steel-on-steel, at 0.25.

I’d look at a set of new Mazda pads, but I don’t have any.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well… That’s disappointing. I can see a few numbers on the backing plates of the pads on my car, but that’s it. Some pads I’ve seen the friction designator on the edge of the pad material, but not often. Thanks for looking.

Reactions: TalonTsi90

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I miss the $30 Raybestos metallic pads i could get for my Talon, everything has ceramic in them these days. But, dont get me wrong, the Silent Stop cheapos and off the shelf stock equiv rotors were fine. I only went with the Centric rotors cause i waited too long IMO to just do a pad swap and have them bed right on a used rotor when i installed the Z23's.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Figured I’d follow up to close this off if anyone ever looks in the future.

The Mazda rear pads are FF.
The Mazda front pads are FG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts