Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the car less then a week, and the driver's side fog light catches a rock. At least I assume it was a rock, because the lense is cracked. I stopped by our Mazda dealer yesterday to see how much a new one cost. $159.00!!! Holy crap. Just for giggles, and probably because I thrive on rejection, I asked the service department if they would replace in under warranty. Uh, nope. Big suprise there. So anyway, I do not really want to shell out $159.00 for a single fog light. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I do not really want to shell out $159.00 for a single fog light. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
[/b]
there was a post a couple of weeks ago of a wrecked MS6 with the information of the wrecking yard that was parting it out. try doing a search for the thread & get the info of the yard. it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
get rid of them, they dont help at all. remove the entire insert and get a wire mesh to cover the back. then get a cai so u have airflow in that area. if u still want fog lights, get some PIAAs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! Are there PIAA replacements that fit pretty well??

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
there was a post a couple of weeks ago of a wrecked MS6 with the information of the wrecking yard that was parting it out. try doing a search for the thread & get the info of the yard. it's worth a shot.
[/b]
Yeah but that place wanted almost as OEM prices for parts off a wrecked car. Apparently, all the calls they got from this board led them to believe the have a rare exotic.

get rid of them, they dont help at all. remove the entire insert and get a wire mesh to cover the back. then get a cai so u have airflow in that area. if u still want fog lights, get some PIAAs.
[/b]
Are you insane? When the regular 6 came out in 2003 people were clamoring to fit the lower fogs from the Appaearance package on the Sports package cars. People were literally drooling for lower fogs. I love the looks of the fogs on the Speed6. Sure they are mostly aesthetic, but they make the car look like a mean SOB at night.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, I like the lights down there. I wouldn't mind spending the cheese on some PIAAs that will actually light p the road, but I hate to spend that money on something that is purely for looks (but I will eventually if I have to).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would call the dealership you bought the car from and talk to your sales guy. See if he can get the service dept. to give you the light for their cost as opposed to retail. They are not losing any money on this, and it would go a long way in retaining customer loyalty. If they say they can't tell them to call your district rep and see if Mazda is willing to give you a break on a replacement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used several different types of PIAA aux lights on my previous car, and while they are very good lights for the most part, the bulbs are expensive to replace! Easy to install, but $25/bulb for the H3s. I had the 2100 series driving lights and they were great, then I got the 998 Projector Fogs, and they were Terrible! I think in general, PIAA makes a very good product. If you find a set that will fit well, make sure you turn them off before you kill the ignition, and only have them turned on when it's dark enough to use them. I blew through so many lights before I learned this. My old car's auto on/off ambient light sensor would create a power surge and blow the H3s regularly around dusk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not to get too pedantic on anyone, but there is a difference between "driving" and "fog" lights. We have fogs (that are indeed virtually worthless for non-inclement weather at least); I would like driving lights, too.
See, e.g., http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Beams.htm
(How about those crazy "pencil"/rally lights, huh?)
(NB: driving lights often aren't even DOT or SAE certified, so they shouldn't be used in ordinary traffic)

Since fogs are ideally mounted closer to the road and driving lights are ideally mounted atop the bumper, the blank spot in our headlight assembly would be an ideal location for a pair of phat PIAA 1100xs if anyone can produce a bracket to hold them in:
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-98633.cfm

Back to the real subject of the thread, I'd do exactly what dstone20 outlines; or call other out-of-state dealerships & see if they'll ship you the part at 1% above cost or the like.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
masscounsel
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing