Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the school I will be attending next year ( Colorado School of Mines ) apparently hosts free aluminum casting Fridays from like 3-5 or something. This sounds cool so I want to come to you guys for ideas. What shall I cast? Preferably related to the 6, but if you have a brilliant idea hit me up! Looks like you can get pretty extensive. ready GO!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yea I was thinking....and thinking....and thinking....and all I could come up with, since it seems this is a new thing for ya, start off small, with maybe like a new design for a hood ornament? Ya know Jags had the jag, GM had the GM symbol. Just something to get your feet wet.

B

·
Registered
440 Posts
That was actually my first thought, but I decided to start small. But yea an exclusive set of wheels designed by Halozander would be cool. And the evil m you could do up nice and shiny. Actually I saw a ms6 last week on 287 and he had the evil chrome m on his rear.

·
Vendor
757 Posts
How about a valve cover? You could set it up to accept a different oil cap, different coils, or some crazy text.

-Derrick

·
Registered
102 Posts
We could provide more suggestions if we knew what grade of aluminum and casting process. (Green sand, lost foam, etc.)

I wonder if they would let me cast a set of wheels LOL. I don't know how they acutally make wheels but that would be sick
Cast wheels are a very Very high risk. Tons of work would need to be done to verify a design will survive. Once that massive design engineering effort is over the process engineering starts. Proving in theory that the process will work (cooling rates, material property consistency,post treatment,etc.) is still far from practice. If the project lasted this far, a standardized wheel test (not on car) is a good way to check the results of the finale product.

Not trying to be a dick, I am just massively afraid of cast wheels. I think you will find during the design phase, that a cast wheel will be heavier than other wheel options in order to keep similar material properties/ strengths.

How about a valve cover? You could set it up to accept a different oil cap, different coils, or some crazy text.
Not a bad suggestion as long as there is access to a machining operation after the cast is complete.

My suggestion is to start small like the "Mazda 6 Club" logo or a turbo shaped key change. Once you finish a smaller project you will better understand the limitations of the facility, then projects will start naturally flowing.

P.S. When I did casting exercises in school, I made a small version of the school mascot (required) and a small christmas decoration for my Mom. ( I didnt have any money...or a 6 to make parts for yet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts