Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car the :swearin: e other day it was cold out. I Came out of a car wash about 5-10mins before this happened. I went to apply the brakes NOTHING right to the floor! I was lucky no cars in right lane swerved over and pumped the brakes fast and had enough to slow me down! I never even thought to use the e-brake happened so fast freaked me out! Went to dealer freaking told tech what happened. He said he never heard of this happening called Mazda tech 1800#. Anyway long story short he is ordering me a new master brake cylinder. Car has been fine since then. Has anyone heard or had this happened to them on the speed6?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was driving my car the :swearin: e other day it was cold out. I Came out of a car wash about 5-10mins before this happened. I went to apply the brakes NOTHING right to the floor! I was lucky no cars in left lane swerved over and pumped the brakes fast and had enough to slow me down! I never even thought to use the e-brake happened so fast freaked me out! Went to dealer freaking told tech what happened. He said he never heard of this happening called Mazda tech 1800#. Anyway long story short he is ordering me a new master brake cylinder. Car has been fine since then. Has anyone heard or had this happened to them on the speed6?[/b]
Man that sucks....Right to the floor huh?

I wonder if mabey some kind of one way valve in the MS froze up or something....???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Never heard of that happening, that is freakin scary! Did you happen to look and see f the brake fluid was low or anything? It seems like our cars are having alot of issue with the cold weather.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Never heard of that happening, that is freakin scary! Did you happen to look and see f the brake fluid was low or anything? It seems like our cars are having alot of issue with the cold weather.[/b]
No kidding!! Glad I live in Texas!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happened to me in every car i've owned coming out of a carwash. It's mostly wet brakes and the cold combination. Brakes rely on friction/heat to work properly.. cold water kinda kills that quite nicely! Pumping the brakes was the right thing to do, helps dry them off and heat them up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No kidding!! Glad I live in Texas![/b]
Texas schmexas, I'm in Dallas and my ride just gave me problems last night after it hit 23 degrees outside. Our cars are definitely having a problem with the cold me thinks. :swearin:

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Texas schmexas, I'm in Dallas and my ride just gave me problems last night after it hit 23 degrees outside. Our cars are definitely having a problem with the cold me thinks. :swearin:[/b]
Nooo!!
But this 20-something degree stuff is a real rarity.

So how'd your car give you trouble?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'll say it correctly... glad I live in Houston, Texas. We haven't quite made it to freezing yet this winter.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
damn never heard of that kind of occurance before....I'm worried >_<

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'll say it correctly... glad I live in Houston, Texas. We haven't quite made it to freezing yet this winter.[/b]

San Antonio Tx here and we are going thru this freeze thing right now...But TCS light is stuck on...my freaking rear window is creaking like a bitch.... seems like the mazdaspeed6 does have a problem with cold weather. :yesnod:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Happened to me in every car i've owned coming out of a carwash. It's mostly wet brakes and the cold combination. Brakes rely on friction/heat to work properly.. cold water kinda kills that quite nicely! Pumping the brakes was the right thing to do, helps dry them off and heat them up.[/b]
Yeah, could be.

Mazdaspeedguy: Did you try to brake more afterwards and found outh that they was workning as normal?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Happened to me in every car i've owned coming out of a carwash. It's mostly wet brakes and the cold combination. Brakes rely on friction/heat to work properly.. cold water kinda kills that quite nicely! Pumping the brakes was the right thing to do, helps dry them off and heat them up.[/b]
This was something different; OP states that the pedal went to the floor. On a car in otherwise good condition that indicates something in the hydraulic system is severely broken - like a popped line or bad m/c. Wet brakes will still prodived some stopping power, more than enough for an easy, low speed stop, tho any detergent or wax sticking to the rotors would make the water far more slippery. Sounds like an ordinary defective part; a QC issue rather than something about the MS6 in particular.
"...heat to work properly". Stock passenger car brakes do not need to be or benefit from preheating. The brakes work by changing energy from one form to another. The kinetic energy stored by the vehicle's motion is changed into heat via friction. Heat is the end product of slowing the car not the means of doing so.
It would be good to keep the bad part so we can find out what killed it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you drive your car to the dealer after this happened, or have it towed? I'm confused as to whether your brakes then went back to normal and the master cylinder was replaced out of precaution, or the master cylinder in fact failed completely. It sounds like you proceeded to your dealer in your car?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My old Honda had a broken master cyl. for awhile. I drove for a month or so with it like that having to pump the brakes every time I wanted to stop. I was in college and couldn't afford to get it fixed. It was bad.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm in North Texas as well, we had a pretty cold weekend, it was in the 20's.
I took my car out a couple of times, the only thing I noticed were the brakes were very touchy till the fluid heated up.
That ice was fun :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Deff something that should make every worry. If you were going into an intersection you could have been killed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep right to the floor! Master brake cylinder has been ordered. This is the third problem I have had with this car. I had the dreaded P2600 Cel for the actuator plus my trunk request switch has not worked since day on on this car. When I say cold I mean cold -30+C and that is without windchill factors. I'm not impressed at all :swearin:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow, that sucks. That could've potentially ended really badly. You could've been the first to total their MS6!

As for cold weather problems, though, I haven't really experienced any. I've had my car since last summer and living in El Paso, TX, I don't get that much cold weather (in winter, varies anywhere from 30's to 50's, usually in the low 40's). However, we got a cold front too last night so this morning it was low 20's. When I went to turn my car on (with no jacket or shirt :/ haha), the engine sounded a bit different when it was cranking. And it had to crank for a little while longer before actually turning on, but nothing severe. I'm just going to account that to a cold engine :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow, that sucks. That could've potentially ended really badly. You could've been the first to total their MS6!

As for cold weather problems, though, I haven't really experienced any. I've had my car since last summer and living in El Paso, TX, I don't get that much cold weather (in winter, varies anywhere from 30's to 50's, usually in the low 40's). However, we got a cold front too last night so this morning it was low 20's. When I went to turn my car on (with no jacket or shirt :/ haha), the engine sounded a bit different when it was cranking. And it had to crank for a little while longer before actually turning on, but nothing severe. I'm just going to account that to a cold engine :)[/b]
he wouldn't have been the first. There has been at least 1 member who has scrapped his ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.