Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest Update....Just hit 1500 Miles and working on Week 3 of ownership.

Started a new website for the 6, surprised at how few are out there still. Most of my future updates I'll just post there, including pics of any mods I do. The URL is:

http://geocities.com/my_mazda_6/atenza.html

A lot of the links won't work at first, writing the whole thing in my spare time, should be done by March 03. If anyone else builds a 6/Protege/Atenza site let me know, I'll include it in my links section. I've also got about 5MB worth of hosting space to work with, I'm going to try to include a gallery section of other 6 owner's mods once I get the time.

Fourth Day Of Ownership Review Below

Car:

Sterling Silver
Mazda 6
S Trim
V6
AT

Odometer is at 480 miles and I still feel like a kid with a new toy. I saw a Mazda 6 for the first time when I was surfing the internet, desperately looking for a replacement for my painfully slow, top heavy, gas hog '99 4 Runner. Ok I'll admit, for once those annoying internet ads actually worked. I had almost resigned myself to a Nissan Maxima, although there were many little things I just didn't think I would ever like....the taillights and headlights to name a few. The instant I saw the Mazda 6 I knew it was the car I'd been looking for. Three 3wks later I had it.

At the Dealer:

On the internet the prices seemed really reasonable, couldn't believe such a great car could be had for such a great price. However, once I arrived at the dealership, the whole 'great price' landscape seemed to change before my eyes. They hemmed and hawwed and eventually somehow got the price up around the $29,000 range. Of course I hadn't walked in there unprepared. I had my www.carsdirect.com quote in hand, along with dealer holdback, MSRP, Invoice, and current incentives. The long and short is, I ended up not paying a dime over MSRP which was $26,365, for every possible option except the Bose system. I made an attempt to get it with the Bose system as well, however they informed me it would be 12wks before it came, because they were only getting a limited amount of the v6's. Still not really sure if this was true or not, but it seemed very difficult to get the Mazda 6 with the v6. The dealer had 20 Mazda 6's on the lot and only 1 had 6 cyls so I kind of took his word for it. A word of advice is, if you haven't bought your 6 yet, make sure to arrive at the dealership armed with pricing information, or the car's appeal will overwhelm you and you will probably get took by the dealer in some way. Also make sure you are well aware of the trade-in value of your car before you ever step foot on the lot and don't accept a penny less. Dealers have ways of working pure magic with numbers and somehow you don't notice until weeks later, after the new car excitement has worn off.

First Day:

My car arrived 2wks later (no silver ones were available, one happened to be inbound so I ordered that one) and I picked it up. It was dark when I finished all the paperwork, and the first thing that caught my eye was how great the luminescent dashboard looked at night. The car rode like a dream and I have never had one that handled better. I simply couldn't resist......the first available stoplight I floored it.....and watched the headlights behind me disappear. The unbelievable part is how well it handles all that power. The Nissan Maxima certainly had more power, however, it was barely controlled. The 6 provides power when you need it withought feeling like you are even moving.

Second Day:

The instant I got in the car in the daylight, one thing was painfully obvious..it needed tint...baaaddd. Four hours later I was returning home with an excellent job done by the local word of mouth tint expert. For $155.00 got all 4 windows tinted as well as a strip added to the front windshield ( Pics fourthcoming ).

Third Day:

I have read several reviews downing the 6 for limited space. So far I have yet to see where that comes from. I think the world today is too infatuated with huge SUV's, and bigger than ever family sedans to truly appreciate what a well built car has to offer. If I can sit in a car withought scraping the door, roof, or passenger, I am satisfied. This car has the perfect proportions, I am still ecstatic over how easy it is to park compared to my 4Runner. The trunk is huge, and I have yet to fill it up. I don't even know how they fit the spare tire in there, and knock on wood I don't have to find out anytime soon.

Fourth Day:

The gas mileage never ceases to amaze me, I am so used to being able to watch the needle go down, its great when this one doesn't move. Most of the people knocking the 6's 220HP never mention the 19/27+ rating it gets in fuel economy.

So far I am still having all the fun in the world with this car, however of course I do have two very minor gripes: low-end torque is a bit on the low-end side, and the center console one piece construction. If the car where a stick shift I probably would have no complaints in the torque department, however being an automatic.....the car does take awhile to get to it's peak range. Once it reaches the 3800+ range it's a wonderful puller, but getting it there with an automatic is a bit tricky. I don't fully trust the manual shift mode yet, without a true clutch I think I will let the tranny make the decisions.
The other very minor gripe is the one piece custom center console. I love the way it looks, however I am an audiophile as well. Every car I have ever owned in the past has had some type of custom sound system. The contruction of the center console in the 6 however, makes it next to impossible to install an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Fourth Day of Ownership....

Congrats and welcome aboard! 480 miles in four days shows that you are indeed enjoying your new toy. Don't worry about trusting the manumatic. It should work just fine. Shift when you want. It's definitely sportier than letting the computer figure it out.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Congrats!

Don't fear the manual mode of the automatic transmission. I banged it around like crazy on my test drive and it never complained.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Congrats on the new car!!

I guess my only question is why did you still pay MSRP? If you had invoice pricing readily available you know how much profit the dealer was making even selling it at MSRP.

As far as putting a steroe system in it, head over to the forum there and you should see a few posts about a dash kit that might be developed for the 6... It's something we can all add to the list of things we want!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am not sure why I couldn't get it below MSRP, the only thing I can figure is my location, I live in Florida. I checked epinions, edmunds, and my favorite carsdirect.com, and they all quoted me at MSRP for my location. My only option may have been to travel out of state, however there would be no guarantee that I would get the color or options I wanted if I did so. Not to mention the additional mileage I would have put on the vehicle I was trading in. Dealers seem to subtract $100 per additional mile you put on a vehicle, so I took that ripoff into consideration as well.

Quick Update:

Fifth Day:

Read a post somewhere on here that the 6 has a speed governor set to 120MPH. Of course I had to see for myself so I took it up there last night. Sure enough, the car won't go over 120MPH, quite a surprise in my opinion, already researching how to take the governor off. This probably won't affect many people, but it's not very comforting in my opinion that the car is limited to 120MPH when the dash registers up to 150MPH. Another catch is that the European models have a higher limit.....133MPH, is Mazda trying to say Americans can't drive?

·
Registered
514 Posts

Americans *can't* drive, on average... particularly in comparison to the rest of the world.

IMO,
-Alt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I agree with you Alt, half the morning radio shows are spent discussing which wreaks to avoid on which highways. I don't even have to mention what happens when it rains.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Great review and I echo most of your observations with my Mazda6 too.

I am very impressed with the Bose system though; I too have always been a audiophile (I am a musican, engineer, and mastering engineer too) and the Bose is actaully one of the better OEM systems I have ever come across. Certainly the best in a 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I admit, I really should have waited or called around to see if I could have gotten a silver one with the Bose. However, I had full intentions of dropping my $1500+ system from my 4runner into the car, so I wasn't too worried about the factory system. What I didn't realize until after driving the car, I don't want to put an additional 150lbs+ worth of audio equipment in the trunk, so now I'm kind of stuck trying to decide what to do. I'm thinking about building a smaller box and dropping a single 12" or 15" HCCA series sub in it, along with a HCCA 1,000 watt amp. This will bring me back to the sound strength of my original system, but only weigh about 75 lbs. What sux is that withought the Bose components, I still won't have much SQ only plenty of SPL.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Fourth Day of Ownership....'

Originally posted by halfadozen

Great review and I echo most of your observations with my Mazda6 too.

I am very impressed with the Bose system though; I too have always been a audiophile (I am a musican, engineer, and mastering engineer too) and the Bose is actaully one of the better OEM systems I have ever come across. Certainly the best in a 4 door sedan.  [/b]
But is it acceptable?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

nice review and it is always good to walk into the dealership armed with figures. I am alot like you, i prefer to add in an aftermarket audio system catered to myself, but I dont want to add a rediculous amount of weight to my car this time. my last subs were 15 eclipse aluminum 88150s that weighed in at a lil over 40 lbs a piece not including the huge box. i think im gonna tone down the spl and the weight this time and go a couple good 12's

the thing about the bose is that it complicates adding a new headunit. if a good dash kit for the 6 comes out i want to have that option available and go thru as little hassle as possible

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

also if any1 is wondering, steering wheel controls CAN be programmed to an aftermarket headunit, i dont know what can be done about the display center tho

deisel im curious, you said something about an incentive, is there one out for 6's yet? i havent heard of any, but would definitly like to know when or if there is any! :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replying to Topic 'Fourth Day of Ownership....'

Choppa, I got a little carried away with the price sheets, at the moment there are absolutely no incentives that I know of, basically the sheet I took with me showed that as well. I am pretty sure there won't be any incentives for this one for at least another 8 months....when the 2004 Mazda MPS 6 ( yea I know I'm dreaming...keeping fingers crossed) comes out.
That is interesting info on the steering wheel controls though, that was another cause of heartburn for me.....it would be pretty annoying to have that many buttons rendered useless by a new HU. I have never seen a harness or HU that can take an external input for controls like that, can you list some HU's that will ? Currently I have a Pioneer DEH-P6400 ..... a $250+ HU sitting in a drawer gathering dust because of my 6. Of course the display center is probably beyond hope, which I really wouldn't miss too much since what I really want is one of those motorized LCD screen deals.:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

the steering wheel controls can be programmed as long as your HU uses a remote control (which the deh-6400 does). i worked at best buy a while ago and i cant remember the exact procedure or how it exactly works, but there is a module that uses the HU's remote control signal for the steering wheel controls giving you full functionability. u dont need your actual remote at all, just as long as your HU has that capability :)

the module is around $30 (i believe) and I know best buy does this procedure for sure, there should be plenty others

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Fourth Day of Ownership....

Yes.. I worked at best buy as well. It was around a $30-50 part to install.. but if the customer wanted to still use their sterring wheel controls they needed that module to control the new HU.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well that is good to know, thanks for all the info. Of course....until the dash kit comes out, probably won't be installing it anytime soon. Not to mention the amber display still appears to be a lost cause. It would kind of clash...having a bright blue/green display in the midst of all that amber and titanium, I'll probably just leave it all alone and rig some kind of system in the trunk...not the best option but definitely the most cosmetic one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts