Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week marks my forth year of Speed6 ownership. Originally, I planned to keep the car five years. Frankly, we had some bumpy spots - I nearly left her on the side of the road several times when dealing with 'power-loss'. Overall, the Speed6 has been more than adequate. I think I may be one of the last early adapters still on the board with a MS6.

That's not to say I haven't been looking. I seriously looked at trading the car in six months ago. I looked at the Volvo C30, Subaru STI, Ford Escape and F150. Pretty wide shot group. In the end, I decided that keeping the MS6 was my best course of action. It's the best bang for the buck. I went ahead and paid it off.

I think I can keep it one more year. I've got to see whether Ford brings the Focus RS to the US. If so, that's my next car - even if I've gotta wait two model years. Otherwise, I think I'll pick up an SHO.

About the car:
- Original owner
- 50,500 miles
- Paid off yesterday
- No major issues (applied TSBs for clutch, power-loss, and HPFP fix)
- No accidents
- CPE 3" (w/ 2 resonators), CPE CAI & BOV kit
- Couple good dings in the rear quarters
- Still running with factory battery and brakes (both shown good when inspected last weekend)
- Several long road trips with no issues
- Car still runs great and is a blast to drive every day

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any problems with powerloss still? Or did the HPFP TSB fix it?
Ever have any part throttle detonation/stutter?

How is your gas mileage? I average 21-22 mpg, mostly highway.

QUOTE (mk706 @ Jan 25 2010, 02:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632094
This week marks my forth year of Speed6 ownership. Originally, I planned to keep the car five years. Frankly, we had some bumpy spots - I nearly left her on the side of the road several times when dealing with 'power-loss'. Overall, the Speed6 has been more than adequate. I think I may be one of the last early adapters still on the board with a MS6.

That's not to say I haven't been looking. I seriously looked at trading the car in six months ago. I looked at the Volvo C30, Subaru STI, Ford Escape and F150. Pretty wide shot group. In the end, I decided that keeping the MS6 was my best course of action. It's the best bang for the buck. I went ahead and paid it off.

I think I can keep it one more year. I've got to see whether Ford brings the Focus RS to the US. If so, that's my next car - even if I've gotta wait two model years. Otherwise, I think I'll pick up an SHO.

About the car:
- Original owner
- 50,500 miles
- Paid off yesterday
- No major issues (applied TSBs for clutch, power-loss, and HPFP fix)
- No accidents
- CPE 3" (w/ 2 resonators), CPE CAI & BOV kit
- Couple good dings in the rear quarters
- Still running with factory battery and brakes (both shown good when inspected last weekend)
- Several long road trips with no issues
- Car still runs great and is a blast to drive every day[/b]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Congrats on paying it off, and I'm glad to see some long-term owners with no real problems. I'm a second owner (got it with around 20k miles on it) and I plan to keep it for a long time. We do plan to pick up a second more "economical" car eventually, maybe next year, and that will help to keep the miles off the 6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (OJ Bartley @ Jan 25 2010, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632101
Congrats on paying it off, and I'm glad to see some long-term owners with no real problems. I'm a second owner (got it with around 20k miles on it) and I plan to keep it for a long time. We do plan to pick up a second more "economical" car eventually, maybe next year, and that will help to keep the miles off the 6.[/b]
I purchased my 2003 Mazda 6S the year it came out and still running strong. I haven't made any significant changes because I like the original looks, i still love it. I have the RedFire Metallic and when clean it looks brand new. Although i drive it alot, i have 119k miles on it already, a daily driver.
It's been relialibly besides the normal wear nothing major to report, Overall i think is a great car if you are an average driver and dont abuse it.

I dont like the new look just the interior. Soon i will be looking for a new car and this will be handed down to my son. I am not sure if I should go American this time or foreign again.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still get about 22 mpgs with mostly city driving. Even short trips see the mileage climb to 25. Long trips have seen up to 32 mpg.

What ever flash is on the car now seems to run really well. The HPFP TSB called for a flash followed by pump replacement, if needed. Mine ran much better with just the flash.

The car was delivered to me with nine miles on it. From there I put about six more on during the test drive. That's all it took for me to trade in my 2004 M6s MTX.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What was your purchase date? If you purchased in 2005 you got me beat! I've had her paid off for a while now and getting some work done as we speak. I plan to keep this car for several more years. I was given a great oppertunity to get this vehicle in the first place... I'm in no position to upgrade (or downgrade) to anything for a good long while. Speed6 is quick (and with modifications you can resolve most of the issues it ships with from the factory)...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
afew more months and i will have had mine for 4 years, i still have another year before it is paid off, currently i have 15,000 on it but i store mine all winter.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Puchased Jan 27, 2006.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got mine Jan. 25, 2006.... so today is her 4th b-day! I've thought about swapping cars from time to time, but the new debt is not appealing. Plus, the MS6 still does everything I need it to very well and is amazingly reliable. I'm rolling along at about the 75k mile mark. Hopefully I don't need a new car for a while!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Congrats on owning(paying off) the car. Just paid my off in the spring, what a nice feeling.

As far as the build date goes my car turned four in December but I'll have four years ownership in October. It's really good to read about people not ditching their speeds after a few issues. I guess having a good dealership is a big help too.

Again congrats on four years and hope you get four more with your speed. Just think about what you can buy if you put your old car payment in the bank!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Wow- nice to hear from a few paying off their note!
Way to go kids

/me waaaay jealous!

I'm still a newb in comparison :)

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
QUOTE (Chucky12 @ Jan 25 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1632183
I got mine Jan. 25, 2006.... so today is her 4th b-day! I've thought about swapping cars from time to time, but the new debt is not appealing. Plus, the MS6 still does everything I need it to very well and is amazingly reliable. I'm rolling along at about the 75k mile mark. Hopefully I don't need a new car for a while![/b]
That's funny, I got mine brand new Jan 25, 2008. 2nd birthday for me. I'm pretty sure I'll have her a long time, but would trade her in a heartbeat for several things.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Got mine in October of 2006...
im trying to justify getting a cts-v right now... lol.

Car is almost back to stock :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
Picked my 06 up as a leftover in Jan 07. I plan on keeping her for awhile. I bought it to get me through college. By the time I get out she will be paid off and then I will incur college loans FTL!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man what mapping did you get from Mazda?

I was getting great MPG until I through a CEL and they performed the TSB on the fuel pump which included flashing the ECU. They also replaced the purge valve on the gas tank. I was getting about 22-23 MPG with mixed driving and now I'm lucky to get 20! I've even had a tank at 16! I don't know if it's the 10% ethanol for the winter w/ my COBB SFI or what...

It has seriously had me thinking about getting something else. I mean, I know I didn't buy this car for fuel economy but averaging 18 MPG is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have 2 maps with my AP, performance map at 21PSI on a GT2871r that gets me just shy of 22MPG with my normal mix of spirited and highway driving and an 18psi "economy" map that's largely similar but gets me 25+MPG with the same driving. The difference lies in the throttle mapping, and I imagine that's what the difference was between the original "bat out of hell" ecu flashes people had and the "dead" feeling flashes people complained about after dealerships reflashed them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts