Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of purchasing a 6, but I'm on a limited budget. The performance of the car is somewhat important to me, and I was wondering how the performance is on the four cylinder engine. Is it sluggish and slow, or does it have adequate power - I'm not looking for a street racer here, I just don't want to kick myself later for not spending he extra money on the bigger engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Four or Six?

Do you want Manual or Auto? What options are a must have?

If you want a manual, the 4cyl could be plenty of power. Best bt is to test drive both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Four or Six?'

Sluggish is somewhat relative. If you are currently driving a 4 you will probably find the I4 has sufficient power. Just don't test drive the V6. As suggested above you will find the manual 4 has a reasonable amount of power. Personally I prefer the 6, but I currently am driving a manual 6 also. Hence I will be ordering a 6. It is however more expensive, and if you don't need the horsepower stay with the 4.

·
Registered
305 Posts

It depends a lot on the transmission, too. The 4 is just fine with the stick... Didn't like it with the automatic. If you want AT, the V6 is worth it, IMHO.

Also, you don't have your location, but keep in mind that if you're in the USA, the V6 includes a lot of items that are extra-cost on the i4 -- alloy wheels, ABS, alarm, and power driver's seat. Plus the V6 has the automatic climate control system; the i4 doesn't. So if those are options you'd want anyway, the price difference is only $1,370 between identically equipped 6i and 6s models.

·
Registered
791 Posts

If you're truly on a budget, get the 6i manual. A 6s auto will run you much, much more.

I agree with the above comments- the 6i auto wasn't too fun. I bought a 6i manual, so I obviously liked that. The 6s- that's up to you as to whether or not the cost is justified. Drive 'em.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

i got the 6i auto...i think a lot depends on what car you're coming from...i was coming from an old 87 reliant, and borrowing my brothers 2002 civic, so i found that it had enuf power, and i definitely enjoy driving the car...it's all bout the twisties!!!!!!!!!! no matter what, the low end torque is nonexistent....but i find when i get the car above 2000 rpms, it has a good umph of power and takes off...just the initial 900-1900 rpm (low end torque area) kinda sucks.

-yasir

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Test drive, test drive. I drove the four cylinder and found it adequate for normal driving, but just a tad lackluster for my tastes. Note, though, I'm not a horsepower whore. Would I have a problem with it if I owned it? Probably not. The 4-cylinder is quite a happy engine.

You may also want to take into consideration the extra options that you get with the "s" other than the engine.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

tru dat yo...get extra goodies standard with the s, but it all depends on if you need the extra hp, and whether you are goin auto or man.

-yasir

·
Registered
117 Posts

I've got 6i with auto. If it was a car only for me I'd get a stick. But back in January there weren't any 4cyl with sticks anyway.

But if I had to buy the car again I'd still choose the 4 cylinder version.

I test drove 6cyl and 4cyl back to back. 6cyl was definitely much more powerful and felt quicker but I didn't like the handling difference. The 6i felt much better in twisties.

It is up to you to decide.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

I spruced for the 6s AT, though the first one I test drove was a 6i manual. Didn't get any sharp corners to test either out on the initial test drives, but alot of potholes, bumps and plenty of open road in which the dealer let me open up both of them on.

I was really impressed by the 6s' power.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sadly enough, my live-in girlfriend and I share cars, so I'll have to be getting the AT because she refuses to drive the manual. I'll have to go back and test drive both again, thanks for the oppinions.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

BOOOOOOO! Man, thats one thing I wouldn't let my girl have a say on... well, she actually wants to learn to drive stick lucky for me :)

·
Registered
262 Posts

I don't live with my girlfriend but I will tell you guys something that a lot of my friends find funny. She drives a '99 Honda Civic manual (which she bought last year) and I'm stuck driving a '95 Saturn SC2 auto (which I bought with all my summer job money 3 years ago as a junior in HS). She rags on me all the time about how I'm a wuss because my car isn't a stick, but it's cool. I like the fact that she knows how to drive stick, actually likes to drive stick, and can drive my 6s manual hatchback when I get it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Test drove both cars again yesterday. I made my decision to go with the 6 cylinder...5 Speed AT.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I was just thinking, is the power of the I4 similar to that of the Acrua RSX (not the type S). The hp number is similar as is the tq although I think the RSX has 20 lb-ft less.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Good point, their numbers are quite close, although I've never driven any RSX.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I have the four cylinder auto. I noticed it shifts to early. If I want to accelerate faster, I just put it to the manual mode and shift at around 3K . I test drove both the 6 and 4 and the 4 cyl was more than adequate for freeway onramps.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Originally posted by chindo

I was just thinking, is the power of the I4 similar to that of the Acrua RSX (not the type S).  The hp number is similar as is the tq although I think the RSX has 20 lb-ft less.[/b]
The base RSX has 160hp/142ft lbs of torque, but you have to remember Chindo, RSX's engine is ALOT smoother and sooo much better (but at a price of course) and remember that the RSX is smaller and lighter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts