Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click here....

Going from a 215/45/18 18x7+55 to a 235/40/18 18x8+50 makes for some interesting calculations :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
yeah that is pretty neat actually

·
Registered
286 Posts
Click here....

Going from a 215/45/18 18x7+55 to a 235/40/18 18x8+50 makes for some interesting calculations :)
[/b]
Very cool website indeed.

Now I feel comfortable to get some 18x7.5 with +48 offset wheels and 225/40R18 tires on my speed6.

The stock wheels have +50 offset, right?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Very cool website indeed.

Now I feel comfortable to get some 18x7.5 with +48 offset wheels and 225/40R18 tires on my speed6.

The stock wheels have +50 offset, right?
[/b]
The big omission on that site is that it fails to take into account the effect of rim width on the other dimensions. Both the section width and the sidewall height will change as the same tire is mounted on rims of different widths. The difference in section width will be about 40 percent of the difference in rim width, so if a 215/50 tire is mounted on a rim one inch (equals 25.4.mm) narrower than the measuring rim, the mounted tire' section width will be about 10 mm less than what is molded into the sidewall. In addition, the sidewall will be elongated (depending on the curvature and stiffness of the sidewall in the original design) by a smaller, indeterminate-until-actually-measured amount. Moreover, because the aspect ratio is the sidewall height divided by the section width, having a smaller section width and larger sidewall height will make for a larger aspect ratio. On a narrower rim than the measuring rim, a tire marked 215/50 could actually be a 205/55.

If you were going to "sticky" a good site for calculations, Chris Longhurst's Tyre Bible would be a more reliable URL to post. The "tyre size calculator," followed by an informative discussion on rim size (and a rim width calculator) is about two-thirds of the way down the (very long) page.

The 17" OEM wheels on the Mazda6 have a 60mm offset, I believe; is the offset different on the Speed6?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
50mm offset i believe on the speed6
[/b]
no I think Wiggum is right, everywhere Ive read they are 18X7 +55

EDIT:

So Wiggum are you going to go forward with your choice? I'm looking at the same size except a 51 offset.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean??? I have had 18x8+50's on for a while, as have others.. all of them that i know of have been RX8 wheels...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What do you mean??? I have had 18x8+50's on for a while, as have others.. all of them that i know of have been RX8 wheels...
[/b]
:doh:
I'm an idiot I thought you were shopping new wheels I can't remeber who has what now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts