Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being tempted since a few days, I finally decided to throw some bucks at Philips HID kit and test drive around few block. Now before someone you scream "cheap chinese" and run after me with what ever at disposal, let me clearify that Philips indeed sells an after market HID kit with D2S bulbs as OEM replacement in some markets. What the clever retailers do is subtitute D2S bulbs with H2, H3, 9004, etc as per customer suitablity and call it an "geniune philips kit". The orignal intend was to improve road visibility for better pothole detection at night.

Anyway, I installed HID in OEM halogen projectors and so are my findings.

1. Couldnt find an H1 lamp below 8000K so lamps are bluish and do not illuminate potholes properly. Talk about "kewl dudez".

2. The glare is absolutely blinding. There is light everywhere execpt where it is suppose to be..right infront of car..

3. Light flickers dont know why..gotta hunt a fix for that tommrow!

4. I hate the blue hue and want a color closer to white or OEM halogen. Do they make 100w H1 Halogen?? Might be better replacements for Xenon.

http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?prod=38

http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?prod=160

Can stock wiring support this?? or better throw in a 2 bucks relay??

Anyone has an idea how improve stock lightning without swapping in OEM hid?? Vehicle modification is costly business here as anything non-OEM or approved could get you a big fine at random checkpoint plus the humilation of parking car on side and taking mods off. We have to carry invioces from authroized dealers for any mods or glass tints to prove our innocence at checkpoints and random pullovers!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I assume that since the prices you've shown are in £s you are in the UK.

You guys may actually have a more oppressive system than California.:mad:

Our test is not as easy as some states, but if you have decent tread, window tint is legal, brakes are good, gas cap passes, lights are the right color, and you're clean at the tailpipe, you pass. Sometimes the inspector can be a douche about my exhaust and/or intake but I usually don't have any problems

I have a set of 4300k that are fairly close to regular halogens in color. They passed here, but no guarantee on passing your country's annual MOT with them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Being tempted since a few days, I finally decided to throw some bucks at Philips HID kit and test drive around few block. Now before someone you scream "cheap chinese" and run after me with what ever at disposal, let me clearify that Philips indeed sells an after market HID kit with D2S bulbs as OEM replacement in some markets. What the clever retailers do is subtitute D2S bulbs with H2, H3, 9004, etc as per customer suitablity and call it an "geniune philips kit". The orignal intend was to improve road visibility for better pothole detection at night.

Anyway, I installed HID in OEM halogen projectors and so are my findings.

1. Couldnt find an H1 lamp below 8000K so lamps are bluish and do not illuminate potholes properly. Talk about "kewl dudez".

2. The glare is absolutely blinding. There is light everywhere execpt where it is suppose to be..right infront of car..

3. Light flickers dont know why..gotta hunt a fix for that tommrow!

4. I hate the blue hue and want a color closer to white or OEM halogen. Do they make 100w H1 Halogen?? Might be better replacements for Xenon.

Philips Rally H1 100W from Car Bulbs Direct | Free Worldwide Shipping

Philips X-Treme Power H1 from Car Bulbs Direct | Free Worldwide Shipping

Can stock wiring support this?? or better throw in a 2 bucks relay??

Anyone has an idea how improve stock lightning without swapping in OEM hid?? Vehicle modification is costly business here as anything non-OEM or approved could get you a big fine at random checkpoint plus the humilation of parking car on side and taking mods off. We have to carry invioces from authroized dealers for any mods or glass tints to prove our innocence at checkpoints and random pullovers!
If you ARE overseas, you have better OEM replacement options.

PowerBulbs - Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes.

Search for "H1" --- Osram NightBreaker aren't US legal, but they are overseas . . . they make a big difference.

I've actually dealt with this company for US legal bulbs and they're good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am located in Saudi Arabia.
Looking to fit in some projectors as I need decent amount of light to due my night vision problem.
Window tint is legal here as long done by approved vendor. Hence we have to carry the certificate and orignal invoice along with vehicle papers to prove at random checks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The funny thing is, if you had just gone with a generic Chinese kit, you'd have easily found a bulb lower than 8000k.
well i did find lower temp bulb but none to fit H1 sockets. Only H4 and 9004. Market changes with demand and supply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts