Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 06 MS6 for a few weeks and the car is fantastic! But, I can not get past the crunchy 1st gear to 2nd gear shift. I have taken the car back to the dealer multiple times and get the "this is normal and you need to get used" to speech. It only seems to appear when 60* or lower outside and/or the car is parked over night.

I have seen great reviews about the Ford MTX Fluid curing this for the Speed3's. But, not to much info for speed6's.

Tried Amsoil and it seems to make shifting over all better, just not the morning drive.

I just dont want try something that could damage the syncros. Most of my automotive experiance is in tuning and engine building but....transmissions are not my speciality!

Thanks

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I will try it out and report back. The Amsoil is an improvement, I just don't understand why these transmissions are so finicky?

whats weird is the harder I drive the car the less sticky the shifter feels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are some of the signs of syncro failure? If 2nd gear is failing would it grind or feel difficult to get in gear on the up-shift and the down-shift?

It seems fine down-shifting, but the up-shift does not feel as smooth.

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think I'm running XT-M5-QS from Ford. PM Matt Damond he put it in my car lol.
Been in there for a good while now (maybe 4 months now), and I havn't had one problem with shifts, although I didnt' before either..

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ive been running the Ford Getrag trans fluid for ~20k miles, it takes about 2k miles to really break the syncros in and about 10k to get the trans back to normal. I have no shift problems anymore. Its good stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just filled up with the Motorcraft Fluid so we'll see how it goes.

When I drained the Amsoil out I noticed bronze colored shiny particles in the fluid, is that normal for 1700 miles of use?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yeah probably

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I highly recommend the Ford fluid! It hasn't completely eliminated the cold morning 1st to 2nd gear shift wierdness but it has had a very positive effect. I probably have a mechanical issue. But, the fluid does live it up to the hype.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts