Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following in the footsteps of Chrysler except hopefully not going to the same extreme:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/61211029/1024

I think a Mustang sedan is a great idea. The car already has a back seat and is plenty large- they might as well put two more doors on it to get some usefulness from it. Having a rear seat without rear doors is retarded.

A wagon makes sense, too, given how large of a car the Mustang already is. Hopefully the car will not look like a traditional wagon, but more like a sleek hatchback (think Aston Martin hatch). This could work.

What scares me is how heavy the cars will be. Look at what Chrysler's lineup has become- extremely heavy and inefficient. I'm all for V8 RWD family sedans, but the current two-door Mustang already desperately needs a diet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think a Mustang sedan is a great idea. The car already has a back seat and is plenty large- they might as well put two more doors on it to get some usefulness from it. Having a rear seat without rear doors is retarded.
[/b]
will it be along the lines of this? Isn't this the last time that Ford mad a 2-door into a 4-door? :nana:

·
Registered
531 Posts
At first I was like oh no, but after some thought, it does make sense that they'll want to go after Dodge. This might actually work out pretty well for Ford if priced right.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I noticed the article said they would most likely use Ford Austrailia for some of the ideas. Yesterday I posted an article about a new Lincoln based on the Ford Falcon. Maybe Ford is finally wising up. Wagon Mustang though :(

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I think that making a RWD four door on the Musang platform is a good idea. I would just call it something else.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Since I don't have access to the full article, I'm wondering if it's aimed at Dodge or the import market. Would a 4 door Mustang be geared to the 300 or aimed at the Subie/Mitsu tuner market? Just wondering.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've always assumed Ford would bring the Falcon over as a 4-door Mustang. A little bodywork and that's it.
Too bad I like the Falcon look more than the current Mustang.

And if GM makes the Commodore look like a G6/GranPrix, I will have lost faith in American designs.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This sounds like a good idea, now that they finally have a decent platform under the Mustang. Hopefully Ford of Australia can help them add an IRS...what's the point, otherwise?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed the article said they would most likely use Ford Austrailia for some of the ideas. Yesterday I posted an article about a new Lincoln based on the Ford Falcon.
[/b]
Yes, that Lincoln is said to be the precursor to the four-door Mustang, and they will likely be similar cars. I hope the Mustang gets the independent rear suspension from the Lincoln (originally developed for the Mustang).

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, that Lincoln is said to be the precursor to the four-door Mustang, and they will likely be similar cars. I hope the Mustang gets the independent rear suspension from the Lincoln (originally developed for the Mustang).
[/b]
AHH. I would hope that this new mustang sedan and Lincoln are diffrent enough instead of Fords current debaucle making the Zeypher Milan and Fusion nearly identicle

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Maybe a slightly upscaled four door Cougar on the Mustang platform. That might be pretty cool, and people would be wondering into Mercury dealerships on purpose, not by mistake.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ford has reached a new low. Is there no more originality left?

"We're running out of ideas, so let's just retro-style the next mustang! Yeah!"

a few years later...

"We're out of ideas again. Um, let's just make the retro-stang into a sedan and wagon. Yeah!"

:barf:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Ford has reached a new low. Is there no more originality left?

"We're running out of ideas, so let's just retro-style the next mustang! Yeah!"

a few years later...

"We're out of ideas again. Um, let's just make the retro-stang into a sedan and wagon. Yeah!"

:barf:
[/b]
+1. I hate this idea.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
my biggest thought is if the current 2 door coupe weighs in at 3600lbs with a v8 this thing will weigh more than my old SUV did with less power. i think before ford tries to make a fat sedan and wagon, they need to make a lean machine IMO. now the 6 weighs a lot for a sedan i think but it's still only what 3500 isn't it? if ford can make a 4 door mustang with a RWD V8 weigh in at 3500-3600lbs then i'd be impressed, otherwise they can keep their 2 ton sedan.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you haven't figured it out already, all new cars are much heavier than 10 years ago... its because of our demand for safety, especially vs trucks/SUVs.

I think a 4 door, RWD, Mustang-based car is a great idea, just dont call it a Mustang. And you're right, the current Mustang is heavy, damn thing is built like a tank!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If you haven't figured it out already, all new cars are much heavier than 10 years ago... its because of our demand for safety, especially vs trucks/SUVs.

I think a 4 door, RWD, Mustang-based car is a great idea, just dont call it a Mustang. And you're right, the current Mustang is heavy, damn thing is built like a tank!
[/b]
if you call getting rear ended by a toyota corolla at 15mph and ruining the trunk, rear quarter panels, soft top mechanism tank then i suppose so. my fiance's mom has an 06' GT convert. and it's a fun little car to drive but i'd never buy one.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I dunno much about the trunk section of the 'stang, but I've seen pics and heard about the front clip, its ridiculous.
[/b]
did i mention her dad leter ran through a taco bell with that same stang lol. he was trying to power slide into a parking space to show off and wham right through the glass. here's a little pic from the town newspaper for those who don't believe me ;).

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I don't see a place for it in Ford's lineup. They already have the full 4-sedan lineup, and a premium priced Ford is simply not fitting with the marque. Mercury may be able to niche it if they make it upscale enough and make the Lincoln a stretched platform version.

I don't think RWD is a problem Ford needs a solution to (a souped up Fusion could do just as well), and takes resources from other markets Ford should enter (specialty coupe).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts