1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Not sure if this can be adapted in the Mazda6.
[/b]
It wouldn't be a simple bolt-in conversion. Some modifications would definitely be needed since the wheelbase of the 6 is 105.3 inches and the wheelbase of the Fusion is 107.4 inches. How much modification, though, is the question. And would it be worth it?

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,571 Posts
You KNOW someone's gonna try it...

Hello MrTea, are you out there?? :p

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Wish they would have done something more useful like the 3.5 litre and a MTX.

A sport suspension wouldn't hurt first either.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You KNOW someone's gonna try it...

Hello MrTea, are you out there?? :p
[/b]
Yup, MrTea is already secretly adapting an automatic tranny from the 3.5L V6 Duratec to his 2.3L I4. Not only is it realistic, but its entirely worthwhile!!!!!!! :sarc:

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you wanted to try to make your 6 AWD (ignoring the fact that it would be cheaper/less problematic to just buy a car with AWD in the first place), why not use the AWD system from a 6 that already has it (speed6)????

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
If you wanted to try to make your 6 AWD (ignoring the fact that it would be cheaper/less problematic to just buy a car with AWD in the first place), why not use the AWD system from a 6 that already has it (speed6)????
[/b]
No! That would be TOO logical! Are you crazy? :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
No! That would be TOO logical! Are you crazy? :)
[/b]
Sorry about that - will try to minimize logic in future. ;)

Reminds me of the threads where people want to convert their automatic transaxle to manual, but worse.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
But this looks moreand more interesting as the 08 Mazda6 will have the 3.5L 264bhp Duratec available.
[/b]
just a question I notice everyone gets excited about a possible 264hp AWD 2008 model that will most likely be heavier that the current model as reports have shown the mazda6 will grow in size.

Why doesnt everyone get excited about the 274hp AWD model that is out now and will most likely weigh less than the 2008?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Just get a MS6! Be done with it. At the same time, you can see it as having a turbo upgrade as well.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 250+ HP mazda sedan with AWD? That's un-possible![/b]
Are you being sarcastic?

Looks like the car today is still not selling well.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
No advertisement of the car is to blame for that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Speaking of the Fusion. Have you guys noticed their current ad campaign where Car and Driver compared the Fusion to an Accord and Camry? They compared styling, handling, and performance. The Fusion came out on top in all three categories. I just don't see it. Each time I see that commercial, I snicker.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Speaking of the Fusion. Have you guys noticed their current ad campaign where Car and Driver compared the Fusion to an Accord and Camry? They compared styling, handling, and performance. The Fusion came out on top in all three categories. I just don't see it. Each time I see that commercial, I snicker.[/b]
Compared to those 2, I don't doubt it.

The Fusion is actually a pretty nice ride. Minus the lack of a manual transmission, it's not far off from a Mazda6 (which is to be expected given they're 99% the same). It's handling and performance (outside of straight-line acceleration) is leagues beyond the Camry and Accord, particularly the Camry which actually took steps backwards with their new redesign, enough to be openly chastised in numerous car rags. I think it was Road and Track that ranked the new Camry dead-last (actually above the new Sebring, but that model isn't even worth ranking) primarily because of its' complete lack of performance. And styling is completely a subjective thing.

In most car rags the Fusion consistently places at or near the top of comparisons. Consumer Reports even ranked it better than both the Accord and Camry in reliability to boot. It's only sitting on the lots for an average of 30 days, that's half the average for mid-size cars. It has a much higher conquest rate than the Accord and Camry with 40% of Fusions being sold to people that are coming from other makes (almost double its goal of 25%). Proof that, if Ford can get people to try the car, they actually really like it a lot. And that's the entire point of that commercial -- that if you give it a shot, you're probably going to be very surprised.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Compared to those 2, I don't doubt it.

The Fusion is actually a pretty nice ride. Minus the lack of a manual transmission, it's not far off from a Mazda6 (which is to be expected given they're 99% the same). It's handling and performance (outside of straight-line acceleration) is leagues beyond the Camry and Accord, particularly the Camry which actually took steps backwards with their new redesign, enough to be openly chastised in numerous car rags. I think it was Road and Track that ranked the new Camry dead-last (actually above the new Sebring, but that model isn't even worth ranking) primarily because of its' complete lack of performance. And styling is completely a subjective thing.

In most car rags the Fusion consistently places at or near the top of comparisons. Consumer Reports even ranked it better than both the Accord and Camry in reliability to boot. It's only sitting on the lots for an average of 30 days, that's half the average for mid-size cars. It has a much higher conquest rate than the Accord and Camry with 40% of Fusions being sold to people that are coming from Japanese makes. Proof that, if Ford can get people to try the car, they actually really like it a lot. And that's the entire point of that commercial -- that if you give it a shot, you're probably going to be very surprised.[/b]
Styling: agreed it's subjective. IMO the Fusion rear looks like the Accord from ten years ago with clear tail lights. The grill on the front looks like Hideki Matsui's. I must admit, I've never even noticed one much less been in one. It must be well styled on the inside.

Performance and handling: few people that buy these types of cars are going to get into this level of comparison when they buy one of these. And if performance is important to them, they'd get the six cylinder sport edition. Most people that test drive these are going to be most impressed with how smooth the car drives.

My real problem is with their ad campaign. Toyota could easily call out Ford in an ad campaign by comparing one of their models with one of Ford's with a select population of testers with select comparison parameters and run with the results. It just seems bush league.

Here's my advice for Ford and GM: build good cars, back them, and the rest will take care of itself.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If anything Honda and Toyota will complain that you can't compare the handling since the Fusion used AWD and theire models were only FWD. What are the 0-60 times and 1/4mile times for the Fusion AWD. Car and Driver only got a 7.3 for the MKZ w/ AWD and that has the larger engine. I def agree though that the Fusion is a sexy looking car... Just like her japanese sister ;)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Compare FWD to FWD, and the Fusion outhandles almost everything else in its class (the slightly smaller and firmer Mazda6 still handles better). It would handle even better if Ford chose a decent tire (last I saw, they were still putting the Michelin Kiln Fuel Specials most of our 17" wheel Mazda6's came with.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,571 Posts
I had a Fusion SE 4cyl auto as a loaner car while my 6 was being prepared. I didn't like the mouse fur seats, the ugly green illumination on the dash, the uncomfortable seats, the taillamps, or the small tires (15s) that lost traction in every turn. I prefer the 6 much to the Fusion personally, as did 2 of my friends who have driven both.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts