Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Citing shifting consumer tastes and dismal sales, Ford Motor Company announced today that they will be discontinuing a majority of their passenger car models by 2020. This includes the C-Max, Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Taurus. The only remaining passenger car models will be the Mustang and a model called the Focus Active, which is akin to the Subaru Crosstrek and VW Golf Alltrack. This would explain why Europe unveiled their next gen Focus but not North America.. there won't be one.

Is this a smart move? With gas slowly creeping back up (approaching $4/gal in California), Ford won't have anywhere to turn back to should consumer taste shift back to fuel efficiency. Time will tell...

Read the article here

·
Registered
536 Posts
Shocked, disappointed and appalled. I probably sound like a hypocrite never having bought a Ford in my life, but if I were in the market today for a fun but affordable small car, then the Fiesta ST and Focus ST would be very high up in my list. Such a decision would not have been taken lightly without a thorough analysis, meaning other manufacturers would be keenly watching the outcome and they too may take the axe to their car lineups sometime in future.

I disagree that Ford will be caught at a disadvantage when the gas prices start crawling towards $4/gallon. The smaller SUVs that have replaced the cars are within 10% of a mid-sized sedan's fuel economy. Besides, most vehicles today are built on global platforms, so Ford will have no trouble putting together a car if the market demands. Remember, the Fiesta is still one of the best selling cars in Europe, so Ford can make bring it in state side with minimal modifications.

All in all, its a sad day for all car lovers. I can never understand America's insatiable thirst for SUVs .

RIP Focus RS ! Keep drifting !

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not totally shocked about this decision by Ford, I'd understand if they canned the C-Max, Fiesta, & Aged Taurus. The Fusion & Focus are their more commonly sold sedans here in North America so I'm not sure why they would can the Focus especially with the RS just recently being released here finally. I do know that the RS owners are having Engine failure as soon as 25K miles do to the flaw in the head gasket design which is hydro locking the motors between cylinders 2 & 3 i believe. Anyways car sales across the market here have been pretty low the past few years with the amount of small cross overs taking lead. It's all about sales so if I were Ford I'd keep the Fusion & Focus models alive for a few more years, can the rest & see how that works before going all out like that.

·
Registered
941 Posts
There is likely more going on behind the scenes than we are getting from this news release. With Europe getting ready to ban new gas engine sales in 2025 it most likely means Ford, along with everyone else, is investing heavily in the upcoming electric market. Whether we like it or not, the petrol engine is going to be killed off in new cars within the next 20 years. Before you tell me I am full of it, just look at the European market. They are aggressively switching to electrics, Vovlo has REALLY ddove into the electric car very deeply.

This is just another cryptic sign that the US market will join with the rest of the world in the coming years to get rid of new petrol engines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If Ford hadn't ruined the Fusion design back in 2013, I wouldn't be on this forum today. But I guess they can design it however they like. Wonder if they even had a next gen designed, or what it would have looked like......

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
For over 100 years, the sedan and pickup truck has been a popular means of transportation.

What about the other types? Merely trends that have faded.

Wagons? Popular in the '60-'70s. Not anymore.
Minivans? Popular in the '80s-'90s. Not anymore.
SUVs? Popular in the '00s. Still around, but waning.
Crossovers? Popular currently...

Just like everything else, the auto industry is cyclical, and crossovers will also suffer the same fate. Today's children will probably grow to detest crossovers their parents drove (like previous generations that ditched wagons for minivans, SUVs for minivans, and Crossovers for SUVs), and Ford will be caught with their pants down.

It has nothing to do with whether they're powered by gasoline, diesel, or electric, it has to do with the object they're powering.

I can see them dropping the Fiesta. But the C-Max, isn't that already a crossover? The Fusion, one of their best-selling products in the U.S? The Focus, one of their best-selling products worldwide? The Taurus, the most popular fleet, police, and municipal vehicle?

Ford is shooting itself in the foot, and they'll be losing much more than gaining by this short-sighted decision.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I still feel that there is something else going on that the public is not aware of yet. In Europe, they are stricter but more open with the public about their plans, that's why I talked about the EU banning new petrol engines sooner than later.

We need to pay attention to this, this could rapidly trickle down throughout other brands, but I don't see small volume producers (think Mazda) will make such dramatic changes so quickly.

Ford could also have something hidden up their sleeves to replace all these models dropped as well.

EDIT: Now that I went and actually read that news article it clearly states they are ramping up EV's to take the places of dropped models.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This is mostly about the fleet fuel economy requirements, fines for not meeting them, pushes by several states to demand those fines be both enforced and increased (RADICALLY increased, in fact) and the difference between the classifications of vehicles into buckets in these rules.

Ford has decided that rather than risk the fines from segments it doesn't think it can hit the targets on it will exit those segments. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So wait, FORD is dropping cars to focus on SUV/CUV and pick-up sales because they're afraid of not being able to hit their CAFE numbers? That makes absolutely zero sense...so that's probably exactly whats happened. Morons.

SUV's. Why does everyone want to wobble around in a boring tippy box that looks exactly like every other boring tippy box? I don't get it? People won't buy wagons...but they'll buy a crossover, thats exactly the same freaking thing except uglier! Morons!

Modern life. It don't make no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The C-Max has been mostly a dud since inception, so I doubt there will be few tears for it.
The Fiesta is a victim of the US market continually shunning such small cars. The Aspire and previous run of the Fiesta in the early 80s is testament to that.
The Focus has been steadily going downhill since the first generation. People were won over mostly by the Zetec motor and European style handling. By 2009, it eliminated both those draws. The craptastic DSG transmission they debuted in the current generation was a final nail on the casket.
The Fusion is the most surprising. When it debuted in 2006, it was a darling for Ford. I agree that the 2nd gen debut in 2013 was a turning point. Like the Focus, the Fusion has been heading downhill since the 2nd gen debuted.
The Taurus should have A) either stayed dead after 2006 when the Fusion replaced it or B) should have actually been the Fusion. Never understood the logic of taking such an iconic name linked with one of the most successful midsize cars in modern history (86-95 Taurus) and slapping it on a full sized Five-Hundred. Outside of fleet and government sales, I bet this car rusts on car lots. With the Explorer and Expedition Interceptor models, there's no more need for the Taurus. And before you question the use of a midsize SUV as a law enforcement vehicle, consider that a city local to me is going to ditch their entire police fleet and convert 100% to Chevrolet Tahoes. Why? Cheaper overall with less maintenance and longer lifespans.
I think @tickerguy is on the right track regarding CAFE. Truck bodies don't have to meet the same CAFE ratings (or safety ratings) as passenger cars. This may also explain why the revised 2020 Explorer is reverting back to a truck based RWD platform. Cheaper to build and high demand equals big profits. And if history teaches us anything, Detroit will always chase the easy money and worry about the fallout later.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Take a look at the escalation in CAFE requirements for small vehicles and tell me how you meet them.

Ford is simply doing what everyone else is going to do. You're going to lose the choice to have a fuel-burning vehicle within the next 10 years because the CAFE is 60Mpg fleet-wide by then for a small car, and 46 for a larger vehicle (e.g. a Mazda "6".)

TRUCKS aren't a LOT better, until you get to the larger trucks. Then it's 30, with a real EPA window sticker of 23 -- which the current F150 with the new diesel can hit NOW.

Kill all the carbon weenies right NOW or lose the ability to buy a vehicle that doesn't have to be plugged in and can only travel 150 miles without requiring a 3+ hour charge. Oh, and they still haven't (and won't) solve the physics problem with the battery packs either, so welcome to $20,000+ batteries; this makes a sub-30k car basically impossible to build.

The only other answer will be something like the Elio, and only because it's legally a motorcycle and thus doesn't have to carry around 500lbs of garbage that the government mandates every "car" must have, and which impacts fuel burn tremendously.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The current gen Fiesta and Focus especially in ST trims are fantastic cars ! They are great value for money but somehow we in this country refuse to outgrow our love for CUVs and SUVs. Ford teased us with european spec Focus and Fiesta for few years and are now snatching them away from us ! As for the Fusion, it was and still is the third best selling car in the states, and it baffles my mind why Ford would want to kill it. As of last evening, Ford has confirmed production end dates for Fiesta and Focus will be May/June 2018, but Fusion remains open-ended until they revisit the decision in 2020.

This decision wont remain confined within Ford, other manufacturers especially those who are strapped for cash or are burning cash like Mazda and Hyundai/KIA will take a closer look at the outcome of this decision. With the current Mazda6 already into its 6th year with just minor cosmetic revisions, i wonder if Mazda will decide to completely kill it off to make space for a new CX7. Interesting times ahead....

·
Registered
941 Posts
I stand firm on the concept that the internal combustion engine is going bye bye very soon and they have just not let it slip in any official way. Seeing that the EU has publicly stated a date of demise it would be wise for North America to understand that we alone do not dictate the global market and as such we are not going to be able to demand anything from manufacturers.

I would not be surprised to see small engines (well under 1L) used as range extenders but they will only generate electricity, not propulsion. This way, manufacturers can easily meet MPG ratings while giving us some sort of usable range. Trucks and larger vehicles will remain internal combustion for a while longer, but that will only last until we get some sort of advanced battery technology.

Without starting a political debate over climate change, we are being pushed out of the combustion engine by imperfect science and I also think that the manufacturers see more profit in electrics and the prospect that once there is an official ban on petrol engines there will be an initial huge demand for new electrics. It's like they all said in a private closed boardroom "If we all do it at once we will all make lots of dough".

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the world is too enamored with vehicle electrification. That electricity comes from somewhere, and those sources aren't much cleaner than internal combustion when you take everything into account. Large wind and solar farms are a major hazard to birds. Solar panels produce a very toxic bi-product in the manufacturing process. Both forms only have 20% efficiency in the best conditions with the current technology. Hydroelectric plants tear up an ecosystem to put the reservoirs in place.

The other question that still has not been answered is: What about people who don't have access to 'at home' charging stations? Tesla is starting to crack down on 'moochers' who do 100% of their recharging at their supercharger stations. I still don't see multi-family units being proactive in building charging stations into their complexes. What will those who cannot either afford or get access to electrification do when it's their only choice?

Mazda, Hyundai and Toyota are proving that internal combustion can be much more efficient (HCCI, fuel cell, etc) but when these eco-terrorists get their mind set on an idea, they try to force the rest of the world into their line of thinking.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Whether we like it or now, electric and self driving cars are the future. Volvo has already said 2020 will be the final year for their pure IC engines and everything after that will have electric motor either being primary or as supplemental.

Mazda is already working with Toyota to get hybrid technology, and pretty much everyone in the industry is gearing up towards automation and electrification. I've said this many a times, we are perhaps in the last golden era for internal combustion powered automobiles. Never in my life time do i remember having so many great choices across manufacturers in every segment. 20 years from now we'll probably only see little self driving electric CUVs and SUVs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Whether we like it or now, electric and self driving cars are the future. Volvo has already said 2020 will be the final year for their pure IC engines and everything after that will have electric motor either being primary or as supplemental.

Mazda is already working with Toyota to get hybrid technology, and pretty much everyone in the industry is gearing up towards automation and electrification. I've said this many a times, we are perhaps in the last golden era for internal combustion powered automobiles. Never in my life time do i remember having so many great choices across manufacturers in every segment. 20 years from now we'll probably only see little self driving electric CUVs and SUVs.
Its gonna be a pretty grim future.

I guess by the time your grandkids' grandkids are adults, nobody will remember how to drive a car. Then nobody will care.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have already told my 15yr old he will very likely see the end of self driving cars, but I also believe we are 50-75yrs from that. Time will tell.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have now noticed that FOrd is only advertising on TV for their SUV lineup. I would think the coming regulations don't touch SUV's yet and seeing how well they are selling this segment will likely stay petrol powered for some time. Diesel power, other than commercial and industrial, is toast though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I taught my 17 year old how to drive a stick two years ago. I'm hoping he'll teach his kids the same some day, even if there won't be very many traditional manual transmission cars around by then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts