Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Reading Topic: Ford Admits Taurus is yucky

i consider the taurus, cavalier, neon, grand am all rental cars. I honestly dont know why american companies can't find good designers for their cars.

Reputation is such a hard thing to get back once its tarnished.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My guess is that guy is out of a job. You can't SAY that even if you KNOW it's true... :sarc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Actually, Ford is the last of the big 3 to admit that their product focus has been off the last several years. Product has fallen victim to brand management and other nebulous marketing concepts. Marketing is a wonderful tool, but the old "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" saying still holds. Sooner or later, no matter how brilliant your ad campaigns are, people are going to cotton on to the fact that your product stinks. Ford has come out and said it. GM has already admitted it. So has Chrysler, when Daimler bought them out.
This hopefully marks the beginning of the turnaround process for Ford, as it did for the others.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Ford Admits Taurus is yucky'

Originally posted by kenoka

"you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"[/b]
Unless you have already made a sow's ear out of silk...or out of a silk purse perhaps...

saying still holds.  Sooner or later, no matter how brilliant your ad campaigns are, people are going to cotton on to the fact that your product stinks.  Ford has come out and said it.  GM has already admitted it.  So has Chrysler, when Daimler bought them out.
This hopefully marks the beginning of the turnaround process for Ford, as it did for the others.[/b]
I think that if you are genuinely going to turn your image around, admitting past failures might be a good start. It shows you are not denying the facts and adds to your credibility to make things better.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

But what about Mondeo? Isn't that the same size of car as the Taurus? Can't they just sell Mondeos instead?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The Mondeo = Contour, right? If this is true, then it is a smaller car, as the Contour was (is) a smaller car than the Taurus.

And if I recall the rumor correctly, the Mondeo will be moved onto the '6 platform, and it will be the Taurus here.

·
Registered
158 Posts

From what I've heard from people who deal with FMC on a far more regular basis, there are two seperate programs for the Mondeo and the Taurus. They may end up sharing powertrain components, but the underlying platforms will be different.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

The Mondeo = Contour, right?  If this is true, then it is a smaller car, as the Contour was (is) a smaller car than the Taurus.  

And if I recall the rumor correctly, the Mondeo will be moved onto the '6 platform, and it will be the Taurus here.[/b]
I thought Ford was getting rid of the Taurus name altogethere or was it something else.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh yeah, I do recall hearing Ford's desire to ditch the Taurus name. Either way, a Taurus by any other name is still Fords mid-size segment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Reading Topic: Ford

I only know the new vehicle (Mazda6 based) as CD338... The next Mondeo is CDX (or something like that)

·
Registered
319 Posts

Ford is bringing out a new sedan called the Five Hundred.

It is supposed to be of much higher quality than the low-rent Taurus. Ford will continue to build the Taurus in Atlanta, mainly for those who are looking for big sedan at cheap prices, and for rental fleets. The Five Hundred will be built in Chicago and will be more along the lines of the high quality imports, a good step above the Taurus in luxury, engineering, and quality parts.

Between the Five Hundred and the Freestyle, along with the impressive new Navigator and Aviator, I think Ford is really coming back. The new F Series looks like a BIG winner.

If they can deal with the low quality that's plagued them for so long, they'll be back and on a roll. If they do what they did with the focus, with its 9 recalls, they're screwed.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The 500 platform will also underpin the Mercury Montego. The Montego is the car incorrectly labeled as Mercury's version of the 6. The 500 and Montego were penned by the designer Ford recruited from VAG. That's probably why they both look like Audis.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Is the 500 in the segment to replace the Taurus? I thought that was going to be RWD in a segment slightly above the Taurus.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Whoops on me. Maybe I was thinking of the Crossfire, or...is Ford looking at anything for a RWD car?

·
Registered
5 Posts

There are some early reports that Ford is considering basing the next Australian Falcon on the new Mustang platform (DEW platform that curently underpins the Lincoln LS and Jag S-Type) and that the US will get a version. So a new RWD car is supposedly in the works but they are talking 2007. Also the next Falcon will get some the 427 concept styling cues (for those of you that know what it looked like).

·
Registered
446 Posts

That 500 promo picture I've seen around still looks like a VW Passat to me.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Ford Admits Taurus is yucky

More like an Audi A6, but I get your point. It may have something to do with the fact that Ford recruited the guy who designed for VAG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts