Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a Cold Air Intake and hooked everything up. This was prolly 5-6 weeks ago. I drove it around for a bit and the check engine light came on. I looked on here (forums) and people said it was normal. 1) will that ever adjust itself, 2) will I need to plug in the sensor to the motor that has no place to go (green plug that went on airbox).

That isnt my problem but still want to know. So, 2 days ago, I was sitting a light and I noticed my car was jerking as if it was not getting enough fuel. I had the traction light come on while this was happening. I pulled over to the side, turned off my car then started it again and everythign was fine. Then on the way home, It happened again. This time however, I could not accelerate. I could down shift and the RPM's would go up as normal but still couldn't downshift. All thie dash lights came on again. Once again, I turned it off and turned it on and it worked fine. It happened one more time the next day, but this time the power steering went off as well.

I then proceeded to take it to AUtoZone where I woudl have them run a diagnostic. They did and 13 codes popped up. Mostly about my car runing too lean and the 02 sensors reading my car running lean. 3 dealer codes popped up too. So I took it into the dealer where they charged me $92 to tell me what the codes meant and that the dealer codes meant there was a forced shutdown due to the o2 sensors shutting down.

What do I need to do to solve this problem. I read on the forums already about some thingk it could be the throttle body and what not. The guy at the dealer, however, it was all directly related to my CAI which they couldnt touch because it was after market.

Is there a good name out there that should be able to work on my aftermarket stuff should there ever arise a problem?

I know this is a lot of information, but I decided that I would just do it all now and let you guys take a gander. No flaming please. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
sorry, but i have to ask- did u unhook the battery when installing the CAI? because when u do that's when the computer adjusts it's fuel parameters and what not. if u did, then it sounds like a throttle body problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
1. Will it ever adjust itself? Yes and no. Yes as in the car will try to compensate for the modified intake (and funky mass air readings). No as in you put a bigger pipe in and it screws up the sensor readings. It will always read funky unless you do something like cpe injen fix or go back to stock (removing the baffle and resonator are 99% CEL free).

2. the green sensor goes nowhere. It used to go into the flapper assembly but you took it out. From now on, you will get an error code because the connector is disconnected. You can get the flapper thing from the airbox and plug it in to get rid of the code, but it's not a critical code.

Lastly, take tenshiko's advice and pull the batt. It will reset the engine computer forcing it to relearn its operating parameters. However, the check light will still come back (like magic)!

If that doesn't work, go back to stock and see if this problem repeats. Oh, and put your location in your profile.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
1. Will it ever adjust itself? Yes and no. Yes as in the car will try to compensate for the modified intake (and funky mass air readings). No as in you put a bigger pipe in and it screws up the sensor readings. It will always read funky unless you do something like cpe injen fix or go back to stock (removing the baffle and resonator are 99% CEL free).

2. the green sensor goes nowhere. It used to go into the flapper assembly but you took it out. From now on, you will get an error code because the connector is disconnected. You can get the flapper thing from the airbox and plug it in to get rid of the code, but it's not a critical code.

Lastly, take tenshiko's advice and pull the batt. It will reset the engine computer forcing it to relearn its operating parameters. However, the check light will still come back (like magic)!

If that doesn't work, go back to stock and see if this problem repeats. Oh, and put your location in your profile.
[/b]
+1, good right up cbob!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.. I appreciate it. Any ideas if this CAI would cause the o2 sensors to die like the dealership said? Or could there be something else wrong. I could care less if the light comes on, that doesnt bother me. It is the power steering going out on me while doing 80 on the freeway. ;D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It is the power steering going out on me while doing 80 on the freeway. ;D
[/b]

Eh dont worry about it, youll just go straight anyway :) Id do the back to stock thing, and if it still does it you can have them warranty repair it, or atleast investigate further.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The car is designed around a certain set of assumptions. One of those assumptions is that the intake will be of factory sizing. The CAI you have causes the mass air sensor to read low. The engine management uses that info along with a hand full of other sensors and does the best it can to run stoch, keep emissions in check, and not break anything, etc. You're running the vehicle in a untested configuration. Yes, you are running the car in a configuration that it was NOT designed/intended for.

Look at the big picture here. Is a CAI really *that important* if you're having a car that's unreliable to drive. It's actually so unreliable you found yourself with a stalled engine and no power steering. You've expressed fear of dying because of not having powersteering when going 80 down the highway. You have check light/error code galore. 13 was it? and that was only for stored codes, not those that are lost when the engine was shut off. Frankly, I've never seen 13 error codes at once.

So what am I getting at? You're looking for diagnostic help. You've gone to autozone, they couldn't do much and turned you to the stealer. You then turned to the stealer, they charged you a hundred bucks, and they couldn't do much. I, along with Djlethal and Rox* are trying to help you, but we can't do much. why can't anyone help you? because that crap tube is messing up sensor readings to the ECU. You tell us you don't care about CELs. Well guess what, the CELs are because something is wrong and the CAI is the most obvious wrong on your car right now. So trust me when I tell you to take that crap tube off and go back to stock. It's the only way we can proceed with helping you with the diagnostics.

As for your 2nd question.
Why does the powersteering go out because the engine cut out? Well, the powersteering is driven by the engine. When the engine cuts out, its not making power to drive your accessories (and hence powersteering cuts out). You should also know that your brake booster stops working after the engine cuts out and once the vacum reserve is gone, your braking effort is going to be MUCH MUCH greater. Don't want to experience either of these unforunate events? Go back to stock and troubleshoot the vehicle in a configuration it was designed for.

Ps. I don't mean to be a jerk, but seriously go back to stock. Running the car on setup it was designed/validated for is the only way to troubleshoot.

Edit: *- we are trying to help you by telling you to go back to stock. Tensshiko has suggested resetting the ECU in hopes of having it relearn. Anyway, I firmly believe running the vehicle in a configuration it did not leave the factory in is no way to troubleshoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts