Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2006 Mazda 6,

After reading the forums I decided on the 2.3 MTX thinking that a.) I like four bangers and b.) I was dead set on going turbo. However, I have recently come to a crossroads of sort you see, if I go FI then two things are for sure going to happen, a.) my warranty is gone and I have a really good warranty 10 year, 100,000 miles and b.)i'm going to have to keep the car as if I invest that much money into something I am not just going to trade it in. So that brings me to my question:

If money is not a concern, since I will be saving and spending based on what I need should I go NA or FI

What I have come up with so far is if I go turbo, the pros are fast, powerful, and easy to make more power plus a really good high end powerband, which since i also like hondas and vtec is something I really enjoy. However, the cons are no warranty, computer tuning (which apparently is horrible on 6's), speed governor, and last but not least, very expensive repairs or at least the greater chance of repairs.

If I go NA the pros are its all motor power (bragging right), its always there, and as long as my engine doesn't blow up there won't be any visible signs of aftermarket internals other than Intake, header and Exhaust which shouldn't cause any problems anyway. Plus all motor just is a nice sleeper for Mustang GT with a big mouth driver (you know when they can't accept that a fourbanger just beat them with no turbo). But that is just personal satisfaction. The cons are typically the same as turbo except for there is going to be a limit on how much power you can make and still be streetable and you can't adjust the power while driving like you can with turbo and boost controller.

My overall goal is to be a streetable but dragable daily driver but I would like to be able to be a low 13 high 12 and still be able to get decent gas mileage (at least until I get another car) so all of that brings me back to the same question.

To FI or not to FI.

Also I got say mad props to MrTea, saw you car on CarDomain......f**king sweet ride, much respect.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Your 10/100 warranty exists primarily to cover engine failure. It won't provide much coverage for everything else and/or the deductible will be too high to worry about using it. So, while the aftermarket internals might not be obvious externally, in the event of an engine failure when you're really going to want that coverage it's going to be rather readily obvious as soon as they go in there.

And, yes, your intake, header, exhaust could cause problems with the extended warranty. Extended warranties are not covered under the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects consumers with regards to manufacturer warranties. While the Manufacturer has the burden of proof with failures during the standard factory warranty, the extended warranty provider (which is not Mazda, even if you bought it from the dealer) can decline you for any reason they want. Just about any extended warranty is going to be void with any modification done to the car at all, and unlike the manufacturer, they are within their rights to do so.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply,

Well I didn't actually purchase it and theres no deductible to speak of (it is a good warranty), it came as a added bonus from the dealer but I also do have the mazda warranty up to what I believe is like 70,000 miles and the dealer warranty is from that to 125,000 miles. But I understand what your saying and you're probaly right. I have asked the dealer and according to the dealer, if I buy from mazda or have a mazda certified tech install it then they won't hassel me but who knows if that will hold up in light of complete engine failure. Money talks. So at least I know that my warranty is screwed either way but just looking at a performance aspect. Is it possible to have a 12 second , all motor streetable car or am I going to have to go turbo for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts