Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bulbs already, I just need the proper resistors before i install. I've read every post on this forum regarding resistor setups and there's a lot of conflicting information. Some say you only need 3 ohm resistors in the rear to prevent hyper flashing. Others says you need 6 ohm resistors on all 4 corners to prevent hyper flashing.

What is the correct answer to this question? I'm not going to go with the switchback setup in the front, just the standard 7443 amber led.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
As far as I can tell, and what I remember from school, those few extra ohms aren't going to make a world of difference. My setup required 6 ohms per light in the rear ('16 6), and 12 ohms for DF and 6 ohm for PF. If you're worried, start with 3 ohms on each corner and if it hyper flashes, add three more, three more, etc etc. Best of luck.

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
As far as I can tell, and what I remember from school, those few extra ohms aren't going to make a world of difference. My setup required 6 ohms per light in the rear ('16 6), and 12 ohms for DF and 6 ohm for PF. If you're worried, start with 3 ohms on each corner and if it hyper flashes, add three more, three more, etc etc. Best of luck.
Huh? :huh:
:headscrat:

For two bulbs (either in the front OR back, not both) go with 2 50-watt, 6-ohm resistors.

For all four corners, 2 50-watt, 3-ohm resistors are what you need.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Huh? :huh:
:headscrat:

For two bulbs (either in the front OR back, not both) go with 2 50-watt, 6-ohm resistors.

For all four corners, 2 50-watt, 3-ohm resistors are what you need.
No, trust me, I know. That was my reaction too. I bought the LEDs and 50w/6Ohm resistors from DD. Wired it all up properly, and got mad hyperflash on the driver's front light. Wired /exactly/ the same as the passenger front, which was fine when it came to blinking. I ran a million different tests to figure out why 6 ohm's wasn't enough for the DF light, and finally called DD. They recomended an additional resistor, and lo and behold, I don't have a hyper flash anymore. That's why I recomended starting with 3 Ohms each corner, and adding as necessary.

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
That's my thought as well. Where did you buy yours?
vleds.com. Expensive, but excellent quality and customer service.
I just realized you don't own a 3rd gen? I'm not sure how comparable the 2nd and 3rd gens are.
True, but I can't see it being a HUGE difference in the wiring, since multiple vehicles from multiple makes have used the same setup as I have, with no problems...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

True, but I can't see it being a HUGE difference in the wiring, since multiple vehicles from multiple makes have used the same setup as I have, with no problems...

Thank you. I really appreciate your help but I'd feel more comfortable with feedback from 3rd gen owners. These these two car don't have much in common besides the badge.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like Ghost said... 2 50w 3 ohm resistors is all you need in the back if you have 4 LED blinkers.

Here's my setup.... and these were $5 ebay resistors.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Ok so i'm looking to swap my front ambers for the switchback LEDS. I just want to ensure that i am properly understanding this. I can change out the front corner lights and then apply the resistors to the back (since there is more room) and it will all function properly? (I had assumed that the resistors had to be in line with the lights being changed....this is a first time mod for me)

Thank You in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No - each bulb needs its own resistor - that's why you get 4x if you buy one pack ...

No that's not true at all. Did you not read anything above? If you replace all 4 corners with LED's you only need 2x 3ohm resistors instead of 4x 6ohm resistors. I have also verified this on several other forums including vleds website.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No that's not true at all. Did you not read anything above? If you replace all 4 corners with LED's you only need 2x 3ohm resistors instead of 4x 6ohm resistors. I have also verified this on several other forums including vleds website.

Ok, so to clarify. If I'm "upgrading" all 4 then I CAN just place the 2 resistors (3ohm each) in the back...correct?

But if I'm ONLY "upgrading" the front two corner lights, then do I just use 2 x 6ohm resistors, one on each FRONT corner?...or can those be placed in back?

I'm primarily asking because obviously the back has more room for me to tuck or hide anything so it's obviously easier, but if the resistors need to be placed IN LINE with the lights being replaced then I will do so (I'm only looking to replace the front two at this time)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so to clarify. If I'm "upgrading" all 4 then I CAN just place the 2 resistors (3ohm each) in the back...correct?

But if I'm ONLY "upgrading" the front two corner lights, then do I just use 2 x 6ohm resistors, one on each FRONT corner?...or can those be placed in back?

I'm primarily asking because obviously the back has more room for me to tuck or hide anything so it's obviously easier, but if the resistors need to be placed IN LINE with the lights being replaced then I will do so (I'm only looking to replace the front two at this time)

If only 2 LED's are being used the resistors should be with those bulbs.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 42 Posts