Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ticker thanks for the useful info about Douglas Performance tires. I am also looking to replace the OEM Yokos and been researching a bit. I shortlisted Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring and General EXCLAIM HPX AS V-rated.

Uniroyal has 70K miles tread warranty, very good reviews and lists at $89 at Walmart. It has 35K miles more warranty than Douglas for $14 more per tire.

General EXCLAIM HPX - 'V' has 65K miles warranty and lists at $92 at Walmart. It is a new tire with no reviews, that is the downside. General's site describes it as Balance of high performance responsiveness, traction in wet and light snow conditions with excellent tread life.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I finally went with General Altimax RT43 'T' rated tires. Ordered them online from Walmart and had them install. Initial impression after about 100 miles of driving is that they are quieter than the Yokos. I used to have the radio volume up at 30 but now 26 works. The 2014 Mazda6 to begin with has poor sound insulation so I did not expect a dramatic difference but the Altimax made a noticeable difference. Road grip seems to be same as Yokos in dry pavement, tried a few sharp corners at 55-58 mph and it did not disappoint.
Will update wet/snow traction after some winter driving.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I finally went with General Altimax RT43 'T' rated tires. Ordered them online from Walmart and had them install. Initial impression after about 100 miles of driving is that they are quieter than the Yokos. I used to have the radio volume up at 30 but now 26 works. The 2014 Mazda6 to begin with has poor sound insulation so I did not expect a dramatic difference but the Altimax made a noticeable difference. Road grip seems to be same as Yokos in dry pavement, tried a few sharp corners at 55-58 mph and it did not disappoint.
Will update wet/snow traction after some winter driving.
Wet traction update - Drove through the Smokey mountain national park's twisty roads in a downpour, the tires gripped like glue. Cruised comfortably at 80 mph for about 200 miles in heavy downpour on interstate highways from TN to VA via NC, they had great traction, never gave me a moment of worry.

Did the tail of the dragon road (11 miles 318 curves) , zoom-zoom put a smile on my face :)

https://roadtrippers.com/stories/tail-of-the-dragon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.