Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installed the CP-E HKS SSQV BOV kit and i have a question....

Everything is gone except this c-ring... can't figure out how it goes...

I am assuming this is what holds the BOV onto the flange?? Where does it go???

Thanks
BEN

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm installed the CP-E HKS SSQV BOV kit and i have a question....

Everything is gone except this c-ring... can't figure out how it goes...

I am assuming this is what holds the BOV onto the flange?? Where does it go???

Thanks
BEN
[/b]

You set the bov in the flange on top of the o-ring, the c-clip goes above the flat base of the bov and locks into the groove on the adaptor flange. Make sure the tapered side of the c-clip is on top.

Go here for an install tutorial. It's for an EVO, but the BOV still bolts up the same.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
u mean the gasket? make sure u put that in between the adapter and the bov. and make sure u take the ring off the bottom of the stock bypass valve and put that between the adapter and the IC pipe. u dont want any leaks.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 2 gaskets in place... but it seems like you have to place the BOV into place and then compress the C ring... which seems like it will be an impossible feat...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have the 2 gaskets in place... but it seems like you have to place the BOV into place and then compress the C ring... which seems like it will be an impossible feat...
[/b]

that's exaclty what you have to do. Its a huge pain in the ass, but after alot of foul language and some really hurt fingers, you'll get it to work. You can also remove the body of the BOV which I've been told makes it alot easier(I did it the hard way).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah well it would help if I didn't just drop the f-kin clamp into the engine bay...

Is HKS stupid?? I mean what kinda clamp is this anyways...

And to make things better i was taking the body of the BOV off and the stupid wife had to come outside and say "do you need help!!!!"... scaring me enough to drop the allen key into the engine bay as well... i mean i guess if I was asian with skinny little arms i could retrieve it but damn it...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i think i have like 3 or 4 bolts down there and a hex key. one thing i did to retrieve the pieces i really need was to stick some tape on a screwdriver and poke around down there. had to remove the airbox for more room tho. and it helps that im a skinny asian.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, please update us on your progress Wiggum, as I am reading this and pre-empt what will happen to me when my BOV is here :) Also I am learning all the tricks you guys are giving out now.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wiggum is frustrated...

Advice #1... remove factory airbox and hosing for install... as when you drop tools your gonna need it outta there....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wiggum is frustrated...

Advice #1... remove factory airbox and hosing for install... as when you drop tools your gonna need it outta there....
[/b]
:laugh: :irate: :laugh:
You have fat hands and arms :laugh:
I won't even start on some of the sh** I ran into when working at our stations or getting ready for the races. :sarc:
I love listening to others, learning what it is to " do it yourself ". :laugh: Makes me remember WHY all the family business` are sold and I do it now, again for fun and hobby. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
WHy not install the BOV onto the adapter flange prior to installing on the car? If you can't then that's just bad design in the adapter.

Jason

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
WHy not install the BOV onto the adapter flange prior to installing on the car? If you can't then that's just bad design in the adapter.

Jason
[/b]
Yah that's what I did. I installed the flange on the adapter and the recirc. fitting before I bolted it on the car. Yah that C-ring is hellacious. I was using some snap ring pliers and it kept flying off of the tips but finally I got it on there.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even still its a pain in the monkey's ass!!!!

Just bought the ultimate snap ring pliers... but im off to work so ill do it later...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Even still its a pain in the monkey's ass!!!!

Just bought the ultimate snap ring pliers... but im off to work so ill do it later...
[/b]
I definitely agree, just watch out for it to fly off of the nose of the pliers and plant itself in one of your fingers. Is hard as that thing was to compress, at least we can be sure that the BOV is securely attached to the flange!

How come you guys are installing BOVs, I thought the MS6 used a MAF?
[/b]
WHAT? MAF = Mass Air flow sensor. That's how most any fuel injected engine determines the amount of air flowing into the engine so that it can calculate how much fuel to pass through the injectors. Of course that is simplified a little. That's on the engine whether there is a turbo or not. A BOV = blow off valve, is a device on a turbocharged engine that releases excess boost when the throttle plate closes in order to prevent compressor surge and decrease spool up time between shifts.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
[/b]
yeah, it does use a MAF and that's located after the air filter. the recirc comes back in after that. most of us are running recirc with an aftermarket bov. so pretty much, we're just upgrading the plastic bypass to a metal one. so far, it's been noted to hold boost at higher rpms and allow for a quicker spool at low rpms. not to mention they sweet sound.

only a couple people are running vta which causes the car to run rich for a split second because the unmetered air that is normally recirc'd is no longer available.

·
Registered
490 Posts
[/b]
The MAZDASPEED6 is a Turbo'd 2.3L completely built up in Japan. Not the NA version. In case you were not familiar.
A Blow Off Valve is used to bleed the air pressure off of the Turbo when the demand is negeted(dropped). This is to ensure that the Forced induction is not boosted into the engine cylinders when under deceleration for any reason.
(just for ease of clarity) :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
WHAT? MAF = Mass Air flow sensor. That's how most any fuel injected engine determines the amount of air flowing into the engine so that it can calculate how much fuel to pass through the injectors. Of course that is simplified a little. That's on the engine whether there is a turbo or not. A BOV = blow off valve, is a device on a turbocharged engine that releases excess boost when the throttle plate closes in order to prevent compressor surge and decrease spool up time between shifts.
[/b]
Thanks for the lesson. It's actually not on every engine. The other system is a MAP, Manifold Air pressure which is used instead of a MAF and calculates the amount of air going in the engine based on tempature, RPM and other factors.

ryce : Thanks :) Good to know people have the sense not to vent to atmos with a MAF.

Z'sSpeed : MS6 = MazdaSpeed6. So yes, I was aware :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks for the lesson. It's actually not on every engine. The other system is a MAP, Manifold Air pressure which is used instead of a MAF and calculates the amount of air going in the engine based on tempature, RPM and other factors.
ryce : Thanks :) Good to know people have the sense not to vent to atmos with a MAF.

Z'sSpeed : MS6 = MazdaSpeed6. So yes, I was aware :D
[/b]
Yah I know, that's why I said, "most". It seems to be a popular choice in air/fuel management these days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
10 Participants
M6Gr8
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing