Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/bov.html

this is the site we use in the dsm world. it has most of the BOV on here along with sound files. while some are not the best quality files, they do give you a general idea.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
cant get most of those sound links to work unfortunately

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really i was listening to all of them last night. give it a few and the links should be fixed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
hey..dont laugh...I had that on my Evo. Sounded Great.
haha....Yea right!!! :-D
[/b]

no you did not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quick question on the MazdaSpeed6....just picked one up last night.

Is this cars intake system close-looped????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Umm, there are two different types of intake systems....open loop and closed loop.

An open loop system allows the use of a real BOV...venting the backpressure out to the atmosphere. A closed-loop system uses a diverter valve...it recirculates the air back through the intake system to help keep the turbo spooled up.

The reason I ask is because of the use of BOV's here on this car. I'd like to get one, but the problem is that using a BOV on a closed-loop system causes the car to run rich for a slight moment after each shift, or lift of the throttle. While this isn't so bad up front, over time this causes some problems.

Anyway, past experience leads me to ask this question. Thanks.

Guess I should have looked at that link before I posted.

Our MazdaSpeed6 system runs on closed-loop system. From past experience, you should NOT be using BOV. Your car will be running rich right after your shift....in fact, you could be LOSING HP from using a BOV because of the momentary air/fuel mixture problem, not to mention the damage you will be doing to your cat/cats (not sure how many we have...haven't dug into that yet!)

Now, I could be way off base with this....I had a 1.8T Passat and this was the outcome if my using a BOV on it. It was a closed-loop system. Dyno results showed that I LOST close close to 11hp but installing a BOV...ANY kind that vents to the atmosphere. I would be curious to know if this is the same result on this car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts