Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car has been clunking lately and I just found out why...

Attached are to pictures... with springs the "firm" setting of the bar will hit the spring cup, causing a terrible clunk...

Car feels better now, nice and quiet....

Pictures pretty much explain it all, not much at all was grinded, but from the angle I took the picture it looks like it...

All that was needed was to round the corners...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well my car has been clunking lately and I just found out why...

Attached are to pictures... with springs the "firm" setting of the bar will hit the spring cup, causing a terrible clunk...

Car feels better now, nice and quiet....

Pictures pretty much explain it all, not much at all was grinded, but from the angle I took the picture it looks like it...

All that was needed was to round the corners...
[/b]
im getting the same problem and i dont have springs. no clunking tho, but the bar definitely is rubbing the spring cup. thanks for the heads up wiggum.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was loud as can be on my car, and once I got it fixed the car actually felt much better...

Wasn't hard to grind much off, maybe 5 minutes once the endlink was loosened...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wiggum,

Did you change your endlinks too or do you have the stock ones on?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stock ones...[/b]
Wiggum you have Megans right???
I just ordered my rear sway from SU, is the install a pain in the ars???

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes its a pain, I had my dealer do it because I can actually trust the mechanic there...

Also, i don't have Megans, I have springs designed for the car ;)

Before all you "Megan" fans get mad, if I had to pick other springs besides the AutoEXE's it would be them :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wiggum, how much did you dealer end up charging you for the install if you don't mind me asking. I have been given an estimate of around $90, but I know they are thinking about a regular Mazda6 RSB install and not the MS6, despite me specifically saying Mazdaspeed6. I have heard this install takes around 4 hours on a lift! I know that is going to be pretty up there in price.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If a dealer is willing to install the bar for $90 do it, pay up front, and make it very clear to the service manager all you brought is $90 and that you have a MAZDASPEED6...

Then watch the mechanic cry :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
If a dealer is willing to install the bar for $90 do it, pay up front, and make it very clear to the service manager all you brought is $90 and that you have a MAZDASPEED6...

Then watch the mechanic cry :)[/b]
I'm sure a competent Mazda technician could do this in 1 hour with a lift and air tools, so $90 sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure a competent Mazda technician could do this in 1 hour with a lift and air tools, so $90 sounds reasonable.[/b]
Have you seen the install procedure?

·
Registered
429 Posts
About how much did you have to grind off to have the bar clear the spring cups?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. Believe me, a competent mechanic can do that in an hour with a lift and air tools.[/b]
Believe me when i say it won't take an hour... i realize it seems like simple bolts, but this is NOT a simple task...

About how much did you have to grind off to have the bar clear the spring cups?[/b]
Not enough... i still get some small clunking..

The only reason its doing this is because of the AutoEXE springs (or any springs for that matter)...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
"Not enough... i still get some small clunking.."

Take it to a shop with lift

remove lower link bolts

die grind off 1/4" at the corner of sway bar ends ... about 30 degree cut.

brush on some paint

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Dead thread resurection here I come.

I just got done installing the Autoexe springs, Koni's and AWR Endlinks on my Speed which already had the Whiteline bar on it. I took a small bit of the bar off like your pics Wiggum but I still hear a small clunk. Did you wind you taking any more off of the bar. I never plan on adjusting the bar so would it be okay to cut the softer setting off all together?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
bump

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.