Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16-month-olf son and he sits in a child car seat in the backseat of my 6. In my last car, I had leather interior and I never needed one of those protective seat covers under the child car seat.

A few days ago, I took the his seat out of my 6 to put in another car. I noticed that my cloth seat now has two parallel white marks on it exactly where the car seat makes contact with the seat. I figured it was just dust from the button of the child seat or something. But I tried to quickly brush it off and it didn't brush off.

I haven't examined it very closley yet, but I have a feeling that the color actually "wore" off those two spots where the seat makes contact. The problem with stupid car seats is that they leave the plastic on the bottom made of very narrow or rough plastic. They don't smooth it out or widen it to disperse the weight more evenly. So all the weight sits on two areas under the child seat.

For now, I have a towel under the seat to protect from further damage. I'm thinking of purchasing one of those vinyl seat protectors made especially for this purpose, but they seem like a waste of money when a towel will do just fine. I'll examine the seat further this weekend to see if the damage is actually permanant.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Reading Topic: For Those of You With Child Car Seats...

In my dads Ford Taurus, the leather seats seem to get like a rusty residue on it from the car seat for my nephew. It looks like rust and its very hard if not impossible to clean off.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I don't have this problem as I have cloth seats. However, I always use some towels under the seat base to make the rear seat as level as possible for the car seat.

You may want to try some leather cleaner kit found at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I might give it a shot. I really don't care since its his car and he really doesn't take care of it like I take care of mine. I wash mine once per week at the least, he washes his once every two months at the most unless I do it for him.

Thanks for the suggestion however.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'For Those of You With Child Car Seats...'

Originally posted by davecoyne

I don't have this problem as I have cloth seats.  However, I always use some towels under the seat base to make the rear seat as level as possible for the car seat.  

You may want to try some leather cleaner kit found at an auto parts store.[/b]
Actually, I have the black cloth seats kin my 6, not the leather.

·
Registered
207 Posts

I purchased a "carseat mat" for the child-seat. Originally, I had a towel underneath to protect the leather interior, but the seat slid-around too much (fun for the kid, but mom disagreed).

The carseat mat is made out of the same stuff as rubberized non-slip shelf-liners. The seat is now rock-solid (we can take corners at 2G now!) Only drawback is that it's grey, so it doesn't match the black leather interior, but since most of it is covered by the carseat, it doesn't show much.

Thx.

·
Registered
76 Posts

we just put a towel under the car seat, and we have leather. I am hoping that is easier to clean up.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

But, in this case, the powder would be coming from our children's pants!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts