Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just took a trip to tahoe yesterday and got to try out the awd in the snow for the first time. first of all, even with the summer tires, the car handles much better than anything with 2wd. i got past chain control by just saying i had awd, while everyone else had to put chains on. and now for the scary part.

some of you may remember my AEM cai install log with my hydroshield and my splash guard. well, boy am i happy that i had put those one. you should see the filter area. the snow/water got everywhere. the splash went all the way up and dirtied my entire cai pipe up to the silicone elbow. theres mud spots all over the place. down at the filter, theres mud and salt and rocks and its everywhere. the liner is holding a bunch of it now and i havent dumped it out yet since the days are so short during the winter. the splash guard i fabbed is all muddied as well. im going to have to take off the filter and clean that entire area up and possibly vaccuum. if i didnt have the protection on there, im sure the filter would have soaked and caused the MAF to short or even waterlock my engine.

ill take pics when i have time to get that sucker open to clean it out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i believe your the first person to say the awd was good in the snow, even with summer tires. last year i found that it was horrible with summer tires soo this year i got snow tires.

on the other point of this thread. yeah plz do post some pics id liek to see it

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe your the first person to say the awd was good in the snow, even with summer tires. last year i found that it was horrible with summer tires soo this year i got snow tires.

on the other point of this thread. yeah plz do post some pics id liek to see it
[/b]
the only problem i had with slipping was when braking downhill. i couldnt stop even at a 5mph crawl.

·
Registered
706 Posts
When I pulled my resonator out last night I noticed mud splatter on it and just under the airbox. Those louvers in the fender well allow all kinds of crap in there. It needs a solid fender liner.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is the point of those louvers anyways? They don't cool the brakes, allow crap into the air intake, so what gives?

·
Registered
249 Posts
there supposed to be anti-splash ducts... keeps the water from splashing up apparently... just runs it into your engine bay... kinda dumb if you ask me

·
Registered
787 Posts
What is the point of those louvers anyways? They don't cool the brakes, allow crap into the air intake, so what gives?
[/b]
The louvers on the inner fender directed into the wheelwell are to control engine compartment temps. It's so tight in modern engine rooms that air can't move, thus they let it out at a low pressure area - wheelwell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put on my CAI just after it rained last week, and thats the first thing I was thinking, everything was soaked so how can the filter stay clean?

I'd like to go up to Tahoe a bunch this season, but might have to put the stock air box back on. Are people in the east coast who drive in snow regularly having this problem?

I couldn't stop even at a 5mph crawl.[/b]
serious?? driving back from Tahoe in traffic is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just drove my car in the snow/ice for the first time Sunday at Mt. Charleston here in Vegas...actually about 20 minutes outside of of the city. I know that snow tires are always the way to go, but for a spur of the moment decision to go up, I was impressed with the AWD and Potenzas. Obviously when mainly compared to other 2WD cars, though. We met friends who drove a G35 coupe up, and they told us they could hardly get up the mountain, fishtailing in the stop and go traffic... On the way down we stopped by a hotel and parked at the low end of the multi leveled/graded parking lot (stupid). When it was time to go, we realized that everyone with out chains with 2WD was basically screwed. Each level and the inclines were all hard ice (11º F at this point) .... So off everyone went in the MS6 down to the closest Walmart for chains for the G35 and the night was saved. I and everyone else was impressed. While I wasn't really flying, the car was controllable and dare I say even a bit fun... Of course, the braking and overall handling could have definitely benefited from dedicated winter tires. My 2¢.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I just drove my car in the snow/ice for the first time Sunday at Mt. Charleston here in Vegas...actually about 20 minutes outside of of the city. I know that snow tires are always the way to go, but for a spur of the moment decision to go up, I was impressed with the AWD and Potenzas. Obviously when mainly compared to other 2WD cars, though. We met friends who drove a G35 coupe up, and they told us they could hardly get up the mountain, fishtailing in the stop and go traffic... On the way down we stopped by a hotel and parked at the low end of the multi leveled/graded parking lot (stupid). When it was time to go, we realized that everyone with out chains with 2WD was basically screwed. Each level and the inclines were all hard ice (11º F at this point) .... So off everyone went in the MS6 down to the closest Walmart for chains for the G35 and the night was saved. I and everyone else was impressed. While I wasn't really flying, the car was controllable and dare I say even a bit fun... Of course, the braking and overall handling could have definitely benefited from dedicated winter tires. My 2¢.
[/b]
now that I've read this....

I'll be buying a "pre-filter" to install over my AEM air filter
And I'll be buying dedicated snow tires :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I fabbed up a light piece of aluminum, and put this over my wheel-well duct, on the inside, and absolutely no water goes into my engine bay anymore.

I used to have noticeable water spots on my CAI after driving through rain or snow. Now the thing is dry as a bone no matter what.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I fabbed up a light piece of aluminum, and put this over my wheel-well duct, on the inside, and absolutely no water goes into my engine bay anymore.

I used to have noticeable water spots on my CAI after driving through rain or snow. Now the thing is dry as a bone no matter what.
[/b]

can you snap a pic of this mod????.....sounds like a good one for winter use.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i can see the filter being clogged by snow and ice, but they'll eventually melt. no way on earth those elements will climb up the pipe into the engine bay, i guess i'm just not seeing the real threat here.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i can see the filter being clogged by snow and ice, but they'll eventually melt. no way on earth those elements will climb up the pipe into the engine bay, i guess i'm just not seeing the real threat here.
[/b]
Other than a dirty filter.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Other than a dirty filter.
[/b]
I read somewhere that the MS filter works better when a little dirty.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I also fabed up a splash guard. I'll attach some pics. I'd really like to see what you did to cover the louvers.

I installed my cai right AFTER I went through an auto-car-wash, and when I took the bottom piece out, the resonator I believe, there was water on the TOP of the resonator. Made me a little worried about water penetration.

I had thought of putting a guard over the louvers. I may just use some black duct tape and close the louvers off.

Even with the wheel well closed off I think the airflow and air temp will be better than the stock setup. If I loose a little performance for piece of mind, it's worth it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
That does make me feel better. Do you have any guards or shields around the filter?

I was in some pretty heavy rain yesterday and I didn't have one hint of a problem, it made me think if the CEL didn't come on through that, it wouldn't come on for anything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts