Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport MT
11 Posts
I agree with how shoes can impact driving a manual transmission. With certain shoes, I cannot feel the gas pedal, which directly influences rev matching or shift quality in general... sometimes giving too little or too much gas. Can get annoying sometimes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice. I almost bought a Mangusta back in the day. I still remember the salesman telling me how quiet the car was as I drove faster. The motor being in the back and all means that you "outrun the sound"... :unsure:
It is actually quieter at 130 mph than it is at 40.

A lot of folks assume that with the engine just behind the seats that it is hot and loud, but that isn't the case at all. With everything behind you, heat from the engine, exhaust, and transmission travels rearward AWAY from the passenger compartment.

With a front engine car the engine, exhaust and transmission are all right in front of you & as you drive the heat travels rearward TOWARDS the passenger compartment. The exhaust manifold and pipes are oftentimes mere inches away from the drivers feet.

Here's the engine in my Pantera. It's quite a bit more open than in the Mangusta.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's a ZF transaxle there. Reputedly a very stout transaxle capable of many ft lbs of torque. If I'm not mistaken - it has a racing-pattern 5 speed arrangement?... (1st gear is where 2nd gear is in most cars)??? Does it have ltd slip? A very valuable car... very valuable gearbox.... 351 Cleveland?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a ZF transaxle there. Reputedly a very stout transaxle capable of many ft lbs of torque. If I'm not mistaken - it has a racing-pattern 5 speed arrangement?... (1st gear is where 2nd gear is in most cars)??? Does it have ltd slip? A very valuable car... very valuable gearbox.... 351 Cleveland?
Yes it's a 5 speed with limited slip, which it definitely needs!

It's the same one used on the Ford GT40, Maserati Bora, DeTomaso Mangusta, and the BMW M1; it is very strong.

1st is where 2nd "usually" is on most cars. That lets 2nd & 3rd, 4th & 5th be in a straight line with each other.

You are correct; it's actually a 351 Cleveland Cobra Jet. (y):)

I've had it since 1986 & it has just over 16,000 original miles on it from new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is one cool car. Keeper for life; hand down to appreciative son or daughter... 16,000 miles!?!?!?
Definitely a keeper. No kids, so I'll keep it as long as I'm able to work on and drive it (I'm only 55, so hopefully it will be for a lot longer) and then I'll sell it & use the money at retirement. I bought it when I was only 22; it had 7,000 miles when I got it. It only gets taken out on beautiful days with no traffic around. It's about 95% original and unrestored, including the original 47 year old factory paint.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What's so nice about the Pantera is (well, among other obvious things - like beauty 😊) is that it has domestic iron driving it... unlike the other exotics. We know the ZF is bulletproof. The Cleveland is durable, cheap for parts, potent. What other exotic can lay claim to all of the above? All the while, it has an Italian pedigree 😊.

Alessandro DeTomaso also owned Maserati and Moto Guzzi for a while... and I have one :) ... a 1985 - in Dark Smoky (sic) Quarz Metallic (an Italver / Maserati colour).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's so nice about the Pantera is (well, among other obvious things - like beauty 😊) is that it has domestic iron driving it... unlike the other exotics. We know the ZF is bulletproof. The Cleveland is durable, cheap for parts, potent. What other exotic can lay claim to all of the above? All the while, it has an Italian pedigree 😊.

Alessandro DeTomaso also owned Maserati and Moto Guzzi for a while... and I have one :) ... a 1985 - in Dark Smoky (sic) Quarz Metallic (an Italver / Maserati colour).
That's a beautiful Moto Guzzi 850 T5; I love that color! 🤤 I'm going to have to get one someday; I've always been a fan.

Detomaso was a fascinating guy; he owned a bunch of companies like Maserati and Moto Guzzi as you said, along with Benelli, Ghia Design, and Vignale Coachworks to name a few.

Here he is on a 6 cylinder Benelli 750 SEI

·
Registered
2017 Mazda Mazda6 Touring MTX
104 Posts
I've found that for the best feel and control in this car, you just have to drive it naked.. completely naked. I think Mazda intended it to be driven like that for the full Zoom-Zoom effect.

Just make sure to tint all of your windows extra dark. Also recommend carrying leather cleaning wipes and not eating much Chipotle.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts