Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
New to the forum but happy to be here! I've recently started having issues with the folding mirrors on my newly acquired 2015 Mazda 6 and I was wondering if anyone may have come across it before.
My driver side mirror is no longer folding in, although the passenger side is doing so without issue. The mirror in question was getting slower at folding prior to this and was making more noise then it had in the beginning. Now it's completely stopped folding.
Has anyone any ideas as to the issue or perhaps come across this before? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance folks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had that problem before. The driver side was folding slowly until it won't fold anymore. I went to our dealer and they replaced it. After a couple of months, the passenger side was having the same symptoms. They also replaced that side mirror.

At the moment, the driver side is starting to slow down. I asked the dealer on what to do. I was informed that they will "try" replace it by claiming through warranty.

I have documented the procedure on how to replace the side mirror. Unfortunately, I can't see the thread that I started.

EDIT: I finally found it.

@Administrator
I hope we can have a feature where we can see the topic/thread that we started. All I can see on my profile are, "Replies", Discussion", "Reaction score", and "Points".

·
Registered
19 Posts
so guys any idea how to take off the fuse for the side mirrors? i mean identifying the mentioned fuse. i tried the one showed in the box but the mirrors (one of them folds and the other just make the noise and is draining the battery).it just starts making the noise since i start the engine. any DIY solution for the mirror which doesn't fold?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
so guys any idea how to take off the fuse for the side mirrors? i mean identifying the mentioned fuse. i tried the one showed in the box but the mirrors (one of them folds and the other just make the noise and is draining the battery).it just starts making the noise since i start the engine. any DIY solution for the mirror which doesn't fold?
Follow the guide I made until the part where you disconnect the power supply inside the door panel. The drawback is, this will prevent any movement of the mirror.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Archerfish: i saw what you made but didn't want to open it, and tried(with no success i think) another method. i found the fuse below the wheel and disconnected it(the fold unfold button was out of the equation after this) and the noise from the left mirror disappeared - fine up to here - but when i switched off the engine the f..ing noise restarted. then i disconnected the negative on the battery so that it does not drain. tomorrow i will try pouring some antioxidant spray in the part of the motor of the mirror and if that doesn't do the job ill try what you've done. ill try to avoid open wide the door(if i may). Anyhow i have a question, what have you done after disconnecting the power supply? i mean it has to be replaced or else? Thank you

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
@Archerfish: i saw what you made but didn't want to open it, and tried(with no success i think) another method. i found the fuse below the wheel and disconnected it(the fold unfold button was out of the equation after this) and the noise from the left mirror disappeared - fine up to here - but when i switched off the engine the f..ing noise restarted. then i disconnected the negative on the battery so that it does not drain. tomorrow i will try pouring some antioxidant spray in the part of the motor of the mirror and if that doesn't do the job ill try what you've done. ill try to avoid open wide the door(if i may). Anyhow i have a question, what have you done after disconnecting the power supply? i mean it has to be replaced or else? Thank you
Since you plan to spray some lubricants, I recommend a silicone spray. The gears are made of plastic and this kind of lubricant is safe to use.

The car is under warranty so the dealer replaced it for free. I already have another side mirror, driver side. I opted not to install it since it is "still" working. I avoid folding the side mirrors at the moment, as practical as possible, unless I'm parking outside in an unfamiliar place.

I just wonder why it will drain the battery. As I understand it, the battery supply should stop after a minute or two, right after you turn off the engine. Unless the model you have doesn't have a timing relay built-in to cut off the power supply, then you should disconnect the negative terminal as you have done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just don't know what to say, but i think the relay(if it has) has gone bad. . thanks for the tips. I will try to make smthng happen and then update

·
Registered
19 Posts
i did try it the lubricants, it didn't work, although the relay works - after roughly 2 mins it stops (so i don't have to disconnect the negative). so either i will try the disconnection of the power to that specific mirror through the door (and have no movement there) or i'll go check it at a pro. the info in here is SUPER

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i did try it the lubricants, it didn't work, although the relay works - after roughly 2 mins it stops (so i don't have to disconnect the negative). so either i will try the disconnection of the power to that specific mirror through the door (and have no movement there) or i'll go check it at a pro. the info in here is SUPER
Have you tried to dismantle the whole thing? I mean, you should see the gears. Unless it's the motor that is busted but I doubt it. Anyways, it's good to know that the relay is working.

I haven't tried to disassemble the mechanism for the mirror, by the way. Both side mirrors were replaced as a whole but I was told that the remedy is to lubricate the gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i was not in the mood to start such thing, but maybe tomorrow i will :). IF i will do it, ill make sure to post some photos in here for future reference

·
Registered
19 Posts
So guys, sry for the delay, i disconnected the power for the mirror[making the mirror loose - not through the door](now i fold it myself - manually - and it doesn't move up down left or right). The RVM sensor still working (checked). Unfortunately no photos. From what i heard it needs to be replaced although, within few months i plan a general check of the car(rust beneath is a little disturbing) and i may try open the mirror and aces the motor. I will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
So guys, sry for the delay,
Hey! You're back. As long as you can use the mirrors then you should be fine. I remember when I was a kid, everything is manual and we were able to drive without these "features".

Then again, I'd rather have a car without that feature than have a car that has that feature but is broken. It is an annoying thing to have.

For a guy like me who is a bit clumsy, I always take pictures before I dismantle anything. For every step that I do, I take a picture. I even line up the parts the way I removed it. I know it's troublesome to do, but this assures me that I can assemble it the way it should be. Let us know of any progress with your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Archerfish Well done. I know that's the way to do it, cause it is easy to follow the steps to assemble it(learned that from a mechanic eng.). When i will deal with the rust if i will find the time i'll try open wide the motor of the mirror and post some pics. Have a nice weekend
I remember when I was a kid, everything is manual and we were able to drive without these "features".
For a guy like me who is a bit clumsy, I always take pictures before I dismantle anything. For every step that I do, I take a picture. I even line up the parts the way I removed it. I know it's troublesome to do, but this assures me that I can assemble it the way it should be. Let us know of any progress with your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts