Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I noticed one of our fog lights are out on the 04 6s. So I went to the sylvania site to find out what bulb I need etc. On the sylvania site it says
"Fog/Driving light
H3-55W
H3ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen"

So then I go looking at my local parts store and find the numbers etc. I was kinda confused though. The H3ST is a 100w bulb and the H3 is 55W. Am I going to fry my wiring if I get the silverstars? I coulda swore in my many hours of reading posts and faq's etc that using higher watt bulbs could fry the wiring

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ok, so I noticed one of our fog lights are out on the 04 6s. So I went to the sylvania site to find out what bulb I need etc. On the sylvania site it says
"Fog/Driving light
H3-55W

So then I go looking at my local parts store and find the numbers etc. I was kinda confused though. The H3ST is a 100w bulb and the H3 is 55W. Am I going to fry my wiring if I get the silverstars? I coulda swore in my many hours of reading posts and faq's etc that using higher watt bulbs could fry the wiring
[/b]
That would all depend on whether you use them as designed or you are on of the people that drives with them on all the time. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do not get the 100W bulbs. It will fry your wiring.
[/b]
You may be able to wire your lights through a relay to get more power to them and not draw too much from the stock wiring harness. I know more than a few people who did this and were very happy with the results. Go here (http://www.compltd.com/) for a place that sells ready-made wiring kits. From what I understand they are really easy to install. They plug right into the existing system. The only problem you would encounter is if the car in question has a Lamp Out indicator. It will be triggered and stay on. Most people just removed the bulb. If nothing else, read the FAQ page. It explains a lot about headlights and wiring and why using a relay is good idea. I'm assuming that Mazdas don't use relays. I don't know for sure. If they do, then upgrading the bulbs could be a lot harder.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sure, you can upgrade your wiring harness to make it work. But I would also be weary about the heat output from the bulb, which may melt the plastic housing / bezel. I'm not sure if it would or not on the 6, but on some cars, it has happened.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"Fog/Driving light
H3-55W

[/b]
therpmstore.com --> matched HID for fogs like 40bucks and lifetime warranty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
therpmstore.com --> matched HID for fogs like 40bucks and lifetime warranty
[/b]
Any clue if these will fit in the fogs that are in the headlight assembly? Only reason I ask is the setup they show in both pics shows the fogs that are on the grill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts