Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know fog lights have been addressed a lot on this forum so forgive me for the redundant question. My 2015 Mazda 6 Sport doesn't have fog lights and I'd like to add them. I've seen two types; one with just the fog light and the other with the fog light and some accent LED's, which I like the latter.

From what I've seen the wires for hooking up fog lights are already there for the vehicle, correct?

So replacing the interior turn signal/light arm is necessary with one that will control everything plus the fogs is necessary but other than that is there anything else needed?

Does anyone know where to find the fog lights with the LED accents that fit the 6? Maybe something that isn't crazy expensive?

Thank

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
As far as I know, all the wiring is ready to go so long as you, like you said, get the proper turn signal arm. I know it all was on the previous generations of the 6, and I'm fairly certain it holds true for the 3rd gen.

eBay or AliExpress are your best options for aftermarket headlights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if the standard/stock non-fog light turn signal stalk will operate the fog lights? I know a stalk with the fog light option will definitely do it giving you the function to turn only the fog lights on. However, if you keep the standard/stock stalk will the fog lights come on with all the lights? Just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Does anyone know if the standard/stock non-fog light turn signal stalk will operate the fog lights? I know a stalk with the fog light option will definitely do it giving you the function to turn only the fog lights on. However, if you keep the standard/stock stalk will the fog lights come on with all the lights? Just wondering.
They won't turn on because something needs to tell the relay in the main wire harness to open up and allow them to be turned on.

People have successfully added their own personal switch instead of replacing the turn signal stick if you wanted to go down that route.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for that - I kinda figured that was the case but thought I would check.

I emailed a company that deals with Mazda's trying to get the right part number for a stalk that had the fog light switch and this guy said that I would need to modify the switch if I wanted to use after market fog lights! That makes no sense to me since even on the Sport it's pre-wired for fogs.

So can anyone verify this: If I buy after market fogs, pop them into the blanks in the bumper, connect them to the wires, get a turn signal stalk that has the fog light setting and pop that in...it should work, right?

Also if anyone who reads this has a good source for the fog stalk and can point me in their direction that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ok thanks for that - I kinda figured that was the case but thought I would check.

I emailed a company that deals with Mazda's trying to get the right part number for a stalk that had the fog light switch and this guy said that I would need to modify the switch if I wanted to use after market fog lights! That makes no sense to me since even on the Sport it's pre-wired for fogs.

So can anyone verify this: If I buy after market fogs, pop them into the blanks in the bumper, connect them to the wires, get a turn signal stalk that has the fog light setting and pop that in...it should work, right?

Also if anyone who reads this has a good source for the fog stalk and can point me in their direction that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
I just completed this upgrade with these parts from Amazon:

• Genuine Mazda Accessories KD33-66-122 Fog Light stalk
  • iJDMTOY Complete Set Fog Lights Foglamp Kit with Halogen Bulbs, Wiring On/Off Switch and Garnish Bezel Covers For 2014-2016 Mazda 6
  • I followed the Mazda install procedure pulling the front bumper cover (Pretty straight forward process)
  • Halo Automotive Solaris Yellow H9 (12v 65w) Bulb - Twin Pack (Must be modified to fit)
  • Lamin-x 1-612Y Universal Film Cover (Yellow film protects the glass from road trash)
  • Upgraded the headlights to Philips H9s (Must be modified to fit)

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
I just completed this upgrade with these parts from Amazon:

• Genuine Mazda Accessories KD33-66-122 Fog Light stalk
  • iJDMTOY Complete Set Fog Lights Foglamp Kit with Halogen Bulbs, Wiring On/Off Switch and Garnish Bezel Covers For 2014-2016 Mazda 6
  • I followed the Mazda install procedure pulling the front bumper cover (Pretty straight forward process)
  • Halo Automotive Solaris Yellow H9 (12v 65w) Bulb - Twin Pack (Must be modified to fit)
  • Lamin-x 1-612Y Universal Film Cover (Yellow film protects the glass from road trash)
  • Upgraded the headlights to Philips H9s (Must be modified to fit)
Great info here, Brian. Thank you! I'll pin this thread in my 3rd gen one stop shop so this info doesn't get buried.

·
Banned
75 Posts
That "arm" doesn't have the automatic headlight option. Auto headlights comes included with the touring tech package in the 2014, not sure about 2016, if auto headlight comes with 2016 touring, you're screwed too. If you have the touring tech, which obviously doesn't have fog lights, you will need to install that arm and lose the auto function. You will lose it and you will have to do it manually from now. Not worth it, just for some fog lights, which in most cases, you will never need to use. Then again, why buy the tech package in the first place, if youre gonna have one its functions disabled.

If you only have the 2014 touring with no tech package, then you can do this without losing anything, cause you never had the auto headlights in the first place. I never realized this until recently. It seems Mazda is to stupid to realize that they created a "touring tech" model, which screws the owner both ways.

No fog lights and No fog light arm with auto headlight.

The only solution would be rip a GT arm off and use it on your touring tech or 2016 touring. The GTs are the only ones that have the arms with both auto and fog light option, cause they come with both features standard.

This is my Mazda lags behind, they don't think ahead, how difficult could have been to sell or make the GT arm, but no, they only have the non auto headlights arm

Also, the fog light kids on ebay are really low quality, yes, the led daytime fog light, looks nice, but the quality is subpar, who knows how long it will last, if i were to install foglight, i'd get the spider ones from CARID, or better yet the mazda original ones. The ebay ones are low quality and not that cheap either.

Better yet, don't buy fog light and use that money toward a real HID kit, which your touring didn't come with included

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own the 6 Sport version which is the lowest in the 6 line.

Well that's a huge bummer! I wonder if one can piggy back the fogs off of the main head lights so when they're switched on the fogs come on with them? Does anyone have any thoughts on that? If for some reason that's not possible it looks like I simply have to add a nice after market switch in the dash. Glad I asked and thanks for your reply.

·
Banned
75 Posts
I own the 6 Sport version which is the lowest in the 6 line.

Well that's a huge bummer! I wonder if one can piggy back the fogs off of the main head lights so when they're switched on the fogs come on with them? Does anyone have any thoughts on that? If for some reason that's not possible it looks like I simply have to add a nice after market switch in the dash. Glad I asked and thanks for your reply.
All Mazda 6s, even the sport model, have auto headlights OFF. You don't have auto headlights ON (when headlights turn on by themselves). So, you can go ahead and install your fog lights with no problem and use the arm sold by Mazda, since you don't have auto headlights on.

You can only turn on the fog lights when the headlights are on. When you turn off headlights, the fog lights turn off as well. You will rarely use the fog lights though, is more a looks enhancement, it makes the car look more complete, even if you are not using them.

You can do the fog light without any problems. The fog lights kits from ebay are not that good quality, but they are the only ones that have the daytime running led strip. They aren't cheap either, they usually cost around $180 for the whole fog light and led setup. Who knows how long they will last. What if the bulb or led strip go bad after a few months? would they replace the bulbs? I read some reviews from amazon and ebay, and some guys said that the quality is low for the price. I wanted to buy them too, but then I realized the low quality and no auto headlight arm either.

I have auto headlights ON and I really don't want to lose that function. I wish mazda would sell an arm with both auto headlights and fog light option, then I would install the mazda fog lights

If I were you, I'd forget about the foglight and use your money towards an HID kit, which will make a huge difference in the car. The fog light you will rarely if never use them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I must be confusing terms then. By 'Auto On/Off' I thought it implied this: I leave the headlights in the 'on' position and when I shut the vehicle off they shut off after a little time automatically. So, I won't lose that function with the fog light stalk? So what exactly is the auto headlight on function?

·
Banned
75 Posts
Ok I must be confusing terms then. By 'Auto On/Off' I thought it implied this: I leave the headlights in the 'on' position and when I shut the vehicle off they shut off after a little time automatically. So, I won't lose that function with the fog light stalk? So what exactly is the auto headlight on function?
All Mazda 6s have auto headlights OFF. They are all programmed to turn headlights off after a certain amount seconds. You can program this if you the infotainment system. I have mine programmed to turn off the headlights when I turn off the car, so basically I don't do anything. I turn off the car and everything is off.

Auto headlights ON has a sensor which detects the environment and turns on the headlights as long as you have it on the ON position. You don't have this feature. You will not lose auto headlights OFF by installing a fog light kit.

I have auto headlights ON. For me to install fog lights and keep this feature, I would need to use an arm that has both the auto healights ON function and the fog lights switch (just like the Grand Touring has). Mazda doesn't sell such arm. So, if I install fog lights and the arm, I would lose auto healights ON and would have to turn my headlights on manually.

I don't want to lose that feature. I live in a city where I would never need to use fog lights either.

How difficult can it be for mazda to sell the GT arm?

·
Banned
75 Posts
it seems i was wrong they do have the arm with auto headlights on

amazon.com/Genuine-Mazda-KD37-66-122-Fog-Light/dp/B00K8Y0I5K

so, now i can finally install fog light and not lose auto headlights on

I'm still not sure about the ebay fog light kits with led. It looks nice with led, but I don't trust their quality, who knows how long they will last.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here's my breakdown for my fogs from Amazon:

• $42.78 --- Genuine Mazda Accessories KD33-66-122 Fog Light stalk
  • $49.99 --- iJDMTOY Complete Set Fog Lights Foglamp Kit with H11 clear Halogen Bulbs, Wiring On/Off Switch and Garnish Bezel Covers For 2014-2016 Mazda 6
  • $17.30 --- Halo Automotive Solaris Yellow H9 (12v 65w) Bulb - Twin Pack (Must be modified to fit) --> Optional
  • $12.95 --- Lamin-x 1-612Y Universal Film Cover (Yellow film protects the glass from road trash) --> Optional
  • $123.02 Total

·
Banned
75 Posts
Here's my breakdown for my fogs from Amazon:

• $42.78 --- Genuine Mazda Accessories KD33-66-122 Fog Light stalk
  • $49.99 --- iJDMTOY Complete Set Fog Lights Foglamp Kit with H11 clear Halogen Bulbs, Wiring On/Off Switch and Garnish Bezel Covers For 2014-2016 Mazda 6
  • $17.30 --- Halo Automotive Solaris Yellow H9 (12v 65w) Bulb - Twin Pack (Must be modified to fit) --> Optional
  • $12.95 --- Lamin-x 1-612Y Universal Film Cover (Yellow film protects the glass from road trash) --> Optional
  • $123.02 Total
How do you install it?

So basically you have to remove the bumper or turning the wheels inward?

install the assemblies and then fog lights, what about the wiring, i read on the reviews that with the 6, the wiring is not needed, so what do you do? plug and play? you don't have to connect anything to the battery?

did you have to drill holes and use screws?

the question is what if i get the ones with led daytime running light, would i have to connect any harnesses or wires?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah saw that they had both so that's great for you! I ordered my new stalk so once I get my 6 back from the body shop I'm going to install every thing. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts