Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is not seeking any praise for finally figuring this out for my car but for people with the same problem i had.

So i have the mazda6i with appearance package and lower besel factory fog lights and i wanted to wire it so that the fogs would come on with just the parking lights on (no headlights) Well my fuse box which would be the easiest place to just make a single connect to the fog light fuse did not work.

When i removed the fog light fuse (15a) and/or the fog light relay my lower fogs were NOT affected, not sure if this is because i have lower not upper fogs (sport package only)

So if anyone with factory lower fogs has tried to wire them to come on with just the parking lights and had problems e-mail me at [email protected] or my sn on yahoo or AIM (Travis0385 for both)

hopefully i can be of some assistance, its an easy task just takes a little time to find the right wires to send juice.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Reading Topic: Fog Light Success!!!

It would be great if you posted a write-up step by step of what you did.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Fog Light Success!!!'

Ok this is a lil write up i put together to help all those people out there with factory lower fog lights on thier non-sport 6's. Not sure exactly how many people were in the same boat as i was in.... but if u were i will save u some trouble.

First off this is to make your lower factory fogs come on with just your running lights

and second off; i took these pics after i did it, so i did my best to get pics of everything important.

1) Make sure your car is in the same situation as mine, and the easiest way to do this is to take out your fuse and relay for the fog lights in the fuse box.... then turn on the fog lights....... if the fog lights still come on with the headlights... then yay i can help!

2) By the way, the fuse holder in my hand is the real fuse to your fog lights.... Ok so we solved that mystery..... now since the relay doesnt control the fogs we might want to kno what does..... In this pic we find a green and blue/red wire that was covered in a black cover.... this is the remote that lets your fog lights activate when the headlights are on, and what turns them off when the brights come on.....

3) The green is the positive wire going to some relay or switch... the blue/red is the hot wire from the fog switch so we leave that guy alone.... Next we cut the green wire and strip it!! After the stripping we need to take a short little piece of wire and connect it from a fuse of your choice from the fuse box (i recomment the taillight fuse or the dash illumination fuse so that fogs can only be on when the running lights are on) but if you want to be different, connect to the a/c fuse or the turn signal fuse for a fun time! (joke btw)

4) That is the taillamp fuse (comes on when running lights are on) i suggest a thin wire because you dont need much draw to activate the switch or relay... the wire i used looks thick but i thinned about half the exposed wire after i stripped it.... after you have it making good contact with the new power source, connect it to the stripped green wire

5) Soddering is recommended but i used electrical tape..... I think ive covered it all so sit back and rock them fog lights with no headlights all evening long!

I will add a synopsis of this mod.....
-You are only modifying one factory wire (green wire)
-You will provide the green wire with current that is on when running lights are on
-Finding the green wire may be difficult (i was underneath the car and wiggled what i thought was the relay wire from the back of the foglight assembly on the driver side while someone else stood above the engine and held on to the wire that was moving)
-Make sure you get good connections with the new wire (in the fuse block and the connection to green wire)
-This is easy

feel free to Im me on aim or yahoo with questions

Reactions: hojee

·
Registered
255 Posts

thanks for confirming my suspicion....there's an even better way to do this if i'm right.

·
Registered
255 Posts

i was going to wire the inside kick panel, but that ends up being harder...i ended up using the oem harness behind the resonator and using that green lead spliced into the parking lamp...the tail lamp and the parking lamps are the same circuit, so it's not a problem. i then removed the wire with the jumper harness that was on the side of the kick panel.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

I used the RearFog Lamps Relay, use a Fuse and run to wire. Then run the wire to the control lights. But the US version is different.

This is the control that came with the fogs (Jap. Vers.)

The high beam refer to the normal driving light

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

our version only has 2 positions for the fog spinner thingy (?)....... on and off....

from my experience there are two different relays that cut off the fogs, one is the switch for the fog light, next is the wire i modified.... the wire i modified is not effected by the fog switch, it would be hot when headlamps were on and off when high beams or nothing was on no matter which position the fog lamp switch was on.... so i dont think messing with the wires from the fog light switch will do the same effect as what i did

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

quick question for ya Scorp....... before u modded anything if u did mod it....... if you took out the factory fog fuse and fog relay in the fuse panel, would your fogs still light?

·
Registered
255 Posts

travis..the lower fogs for the us market have the relay under the driver side light assembly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yes i kno this.... this is the relay that i fiddled with

for the fogs to come on two things have to be 'on'.... one is the wire i modded, this wire has to have current thru it and the switch on the column has to be on..... since the switch is just on and off for the column, the other part of the relay has to be modded.....

maybe we're not understanding each other but i was saying that just modifying the switch shouldnt allow them to come on with just the running lights

Edit: i read what i said 'it has two relays' i meant to say that two factors that control it

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Hey Scorpion, I was looking at this pic and was noticing your shift knob. Do you have the shift gate or is it straight down. It looks like you have a button on the side like some other auto's but I have yet to see one like that on a 6.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ya i noticed that too, also wondering what that little red button is.......

DO NOT PUSH THE RED BUTTON

·
Registered
255 Posts

travis..you misunderstood me..i understood you just fine....see...i bought my 6 completely bone base stock...i added the fogs myself...only after i did the install...did i know the fogs would work that way.

in the lower fog install...you change two things in the wiring...i was hesitant to modify the electronics, since i was so new to modifying stuff on cars (i do computer repair/tech work for a living....but i hadn't done anything on cars besides maintenance)

after helping a fellow 6 clubber out with an aftermarket fog install, i got ballsy. hence i started figuring out what the wiring actually did. That green wire you cut...actually gets a pass through inside the cabin..by the kick panel. This wire gets a "jumper cable" connection to another wire in the kick panel. If you remove the jumper cable, there's no signal going to the fog relay below the driver side headlight. That green wire..is the second wire from the turn stalk control. In the circuit from the turn stalk control, there is no power source, you add your own...which is why that jumper harness exists.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

The 2.0 have a shift knob that work straight down. The 2.3 have the shift gate.

The little button is the HOLD button

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

Whith this control I control both fog light, upper and lower

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by SCORPION6@Jun 26 2004, 02:21 PM
Whith this control I control both fog light, upper and lower

[snapback]284558[/snapback]​
hey Scorp , if ur car is Jap version like mine , what did u have to mod???
i mean , mine is supposedly the sport one , but came with no rear wing spoiler ( althouhg i bought it right away ) no side sills , nor front sport bumper.
but it has the integrated fo lights in the headlamp cluster. and they turn on wit5hout turning on the whole lights , just the first click to turn on the parking lights , and then , moving the second knob that's only for the integrated fogs!
but then i installed aftermarket lower fogs , and connected them real simple , top the upper green wire , that's of the parking lights , so whenever i turn on my parking lights , the lower fogs come on !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Bulybuoy@Dec 31 2004, 01:17 AM
hey Scorp , if ur car is Jap version like mine , what did u have to mod???
i mean , mine is supposedly the sport one , but came with no rear wing spoiler ( althouhg i bought it right away ) no side sills , nor front sport bumper.
but it has the integrated fo lights in the headlamp cluster. and they turn on wit5hout turning on the whole lights , just the first click to turn on the parking lights , and then , moving the second knob that's only  for the integrated fogs!
but then i installed aftermarket lower fogs , and connected them real simple , top the upper green wire , that's of the parking lights , so whenever i turn on my parking lights , the lower fogs come on !
[snapback]341231[/snapback]​
now that control is difff. that's the one that comes with the OEM lower fogs right???
mine is like it , but with only one first click for the upper integrated fogss.
but again , can u turn only ur lower fogs with that? or first ur upper fogs , then both??

·
Registered
488 Posts
just finished this fog light success!!!
great write up

1 - 20 of 42 Posts