Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I’m looking to install fog lights to replace those plastic vent covers in the bumper but am confused how it’s to be wired. It’s an 04 and from Australia so there isn’t any pre existing wiring for them however I can get the wiring harnesses from the wreckers when I get the fog lights. Right now I have the integrated fog lights in the headlights so I was hoping they could both be controlled by the same switch on the indicator stalk. Can the wiring harness from the models with lower fog lights plug somewhere in my car or will it involve splicing wires? I would just check how it’s routed at the wreckers but because of COVID it’s pick up only. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, for some reason I needed to approve this message before it went public. Free bump to the top for your troubles.

I've been out of the fog light game for too long to remember exactly, but I believe you'll have to be splicing. @DrFeelGood or @bulwnkl might know for sure.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
First and foremost, there were no bumper fog lights available for the sport bumper, which, if you have the integrated fogs in the headlight units, I'm going to assume you have. Pictures will help in the search. It was a beef we had here in the States for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Rally Racer
3,038 Posts
Hi all, I’m looking to install fog lights to replace those plastic vent covers in the bumper but am confused how it’s to be wired. It’s an 04 and from Australia so there isn’t any pre existing wiring for them however I can get the wiring harnesses from the wreckers when I get the fog lights. Right now I have the integrated fog lights in the headlights so I was hoping they could both be controlled by the same switch on the indicator stalk. Can the wiring harness from the models with lower fog lights plug somewhere in my car or will it involve splicing wires? I would just check how it’s routed at the wreckers but because of COVID it’s pick up only. Thanks
Hello, you will want to know which bumper you have for sure.
Mine came with lower fogs (non-sport) controlled from the stalk. I added the integrated fogs from the wrecker as a daytime running light but I used a different switch for that.

0000-8Z-H01A Fog Light Kit.jpg

The challenge for me was getting the factory wiring to work reliably. The wiring for both (integrated and lower) fogs is there from the factory but they use different pathways. Please see the installation instructions on the linked thread I posted before.
Integrated Fog Lamps (2003-2005 USDM Sport)
Something was happening with the factory headlights when I tried to use the "original integrated pathway". My car had the retrofit done by the dealer to install the lower fog lights. There is a jumper for the relay trigger wire that is added. That relay trigger energizes the wires the run down the left (your passenger side)

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I ended up spending way too much time on this for what it was in the end but I was determined to make it factory clean. [shrug]

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
What he said ^^^

You might want to check traffic regulations in your country, in Canada there is a very old law that states that any vehicle can only have two sets of lights on at the same time and that is why on the 6, the fog lights turn off automatically when you turn on the high beams.
This law should be changed as many vehicles now have integrated headlight LED strips (brighter than the sun), the regular driving lights and the fog lights on at the same time.

·
Rally Racer
3,038 Posts
You might want to check traffic regulations in your country, in Canada there is a very old law that states that any vehicle can only have two sets of lights on at the same time and that is why on the 6, the fog lights turn off automatically when you turn on the high beams.
This law should be changed as many vehicles now have integrated headlight LED strips (brighter than the sun), the regular driving lights and the fog lights on at the same time.
In the states you cannot have more than 4 forward facing white lights illuminated at any one time and none can be over 55w when oncoming presents. Some states say that none can be over 55w at any point when on a public road (here in Oregon it is illegal to use a 65w light at any time on a public roadway) All of that is basically moot because LED and HID use different wattage and light numbers vary like @jman1200 already said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn, seems more complicated then I had hoped. Australia must be a bit different because Im pretty sure mine isn’t the sport bumper (Unless I got it backwards I think only the sport ones over here have fog lights). Here’s my car and a wreckers one with fog lights. The bumper of the one at the wreckers looks a bit different to the sport bumpers linked in the other post (US spec), but I don’t think they’ll fit my car.
CF5C1827-5758-45B0-B9FF-1F1B9DC9CA0C.jpeg

It’s also a wagon and they only came in one trim level for aus so none had fog lights but because it’s basically the same as the sedan I was hoping it would be relatively simple :/. I might have to go an aftermarket set because I can’t really find any that aren’t for the sport bumper.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Amazing. They did it exactly opposite in Australia. I knew a lot of people that would have given a limb for those fogs on the red car in the picture.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts