21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
8 Posts
you don't need to cut any wires with this kit. you just take the plug that plugs into the current light bulb and plug it into the ballast and the ballast has another plug that you plug into the new HID bulb. it's the same difficulty as putting in a new bulb, but if you don't want to have to put the ballast somewhere then that's your decision. up to you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
you don't need to cut any wires with this kit. you just take the plug that plugs into the current light bulb and plug it into the ballast and the ballast has another plug that you plug into the new HID bulb. it's the same difficulty as putting in a new bulb, but if you don't want to have to put the ballast somewhere then that's your decision. up to you.
Oh is it that easy?? That may be the way to go then. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hahahaha yeah just make sure you secure the ballast with the ziptie they give you. i just stuck it on the radiator with the double sided tape they gave me and it lasted a couple of months but then one of the ballasts fell on the ground and i dragged it across the road for a while =/ i can take some pics when i get the new ones in if you want. i just ordered a set today.

·
Registered
548 Posts
please,

show where you mounted them. trying to figure out if they would get in the way of a future front mount or if i shold just go with the HID look-a-like bulbs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
hahahaha yeah just make sure you secure the ballast with the ziptie they give you. i just stuck it on the radiator with the double sided tape they gave me and it lasted a couple of months but then one of the ballasts fell on the ground and i dragged it across the road for a while =/ i can take some pics when i get the new ones in if you want. i just ordered a set today.

Ok thanks that would be great. Its just that in all the threads I have seen it looks like installing HID kits are very involved. I honestly don't want to cut anything or rewire anything. But since its plug and play, it sounds like what I am looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sure, no problem. actually, it would probably help to look at doug's fmic to see exactly what options there are too. i just saw doug's posts in the "other" forum so i wouldn't mind meeting up when you guys adjust the fmic since i live in weymouth which is right next to quincy haha.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Come on over, we're doing it tomorrow at my place. I live right near quincy shore drive. the good end not the end Doug lives on ha ha ha

·
Registered
710 Posts
The kit looks promisingly easy to hook up. I'm going to pick one up myself. How difficult was the actual install for you? I've heard two stories. Some say you need to remove the entire front bumper to access the behind the fogs, while others say you can work from behind by removing the splash guard on the driver side, but the passenger side is difficult because the windshield washer fluid container is in the way. I'd like to get a mental pole for when I install mine. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The kit looks promisingly easy to hook up. I'm going to pick one up myself. How difficult was the actual install for you? I've heard two stories. Some say you need to remove the entire front bumper to access the behind the fogs, while others say you can work from behind by removing the splash guard on the driver side, but the passenger side is difficult because the windshield washer fluid container is in the way. I'd like to get a mental pole for when I install mine. Thanks in advanced.
idk about the ms6, but with the 06 v6 with the oem fogs, you can change the bulb w/o even lifting the car. there are about 6, 8mm bolts that you remove just below the fogs on the bottom of the bumper, and there's the fog!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm with all of you, the color difference between the headlights, parking lights, and fog lights drove me crazy right away.

I swapped mine out within a month of getting the car. I got the color matched fog light bulbs from RPM that others have mentioned and posted the link.

When I first researched LED options for the parking light bulb in the headlight assembly, everyone was having problems with the LED's failing in short order because of the heat in the headlight assembly from the headlights and high beams.

My previous car was an 02 GTI and they have the same bulb in the headlight assembly we do, it's called a city bulb in the VW's, and it's also a 194 wedge style bulb. So you have a ton of options from the VW market if you want to search on LED city bulb. I went to 42 draft designs and ordered the white 194 wedge style led from them

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Wedge-Style-LEDs_c_38.html

It is a bit bluer than the stock HID headlights and I would like them to be just a bit brighter, but I like it a lot better than the stock halogen bulbs. I’ve had them installed since Feb 07 without burnout or issue. I also ordered the high intensity but have just been too lazy to swap them out and compare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty easy to hook up and I just needed to take off the splash guard underneath the car to access the fogs. You have to feel around for them because they're kind of tucked up and into the area, but I just felt around and stuck it in the empty hole haha :D I just got the kit in the mail yesterday since ddm is on backorder and the ballasts for the "cheaper" kit now are a lot bigger than they used to be so you might want to spend the extra money on the slimline kit. I'll install them on Saturday and take some pics to show exactly what this entails.

·
Registered
572 Posts
just installed the autolumination 194 3 led bulbs in the headlights and HOLYSHIT. they are awesome, i just want it to be dark right now to see what they look like. it appears to me that they may be slightly bluer that the oe hid's but no bluer than about 5K from the illustrations that i have seen.

oh yah as soon as i installed them my ds highbeam blew. FUCK!!!! Oh well they're 3 yrs old off of ebay. Looked at the DDM website and how can you pass that up for $40, read the DIY, and seriously if you can't install them then you should not be working on your car. read the instructions and i think my wife can put them in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
just installed the autolumination 194 3 led bulbs in the headlights and HOLYSHIT. they are awesome, i just want it to be dark right now to see what they look like. it appears to me that they may be slightly bluer that the oe hid's but no bluer than about 5K from the illustrations that i have seen.

oh yah as soon as i installed them my ds highbeam blew. FUCK!!!! Oh well they're 3 yrs old off of ebay. Looked at the DDM website and how can you pass that up for $40, read the DIY, and seriously if you can't install them then you should not be working on your car. read the instructions and i think my wife can put them in.
they caused your high beam to blow?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts