Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FOB has new battery, all functions in the FOB (open/close doors, etc.) work fine. However, when trying to start car info display shows "Key Not Detected" as in this photo, yet, the car started, and is running (check tachometer). There are other messages such as; "FOB Battery Low...etc.

Dealer's mechanic cannot find cause because when at the dealer the car starts every time??? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
View attachment 243259
FOB has new battery, all functions in the FOB (open/close doors, etc.) work fine. However, when trying to start car info display shows "Key Not Detected" as in this photo, yet, the car started, and is running (check tachometer). There are other messages such as; "FOB Battery Low...etc.

Dealer's mechanic cannot find cause because when at the dealer the car starts every time??? Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum!

Standard IT-guy answer: have you tried unplugging the battery and plugging it back in? It's possible the ECU just needs to be reset - give it a few minutes with the battery unplugged then try again, see if things reset/resync.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you., Yes, I just did it last night and naturally the car started. But it remains to be seen if it will fix the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you., Yes, I just did it last night and naturally the car started. But it remains to be seen if it will fix the problem.
Later yesterday the car failed to start twice out of four instances. So no, disconnecting the battery dis not fixed it.:-(

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Later yesterday the car failed to start twice out of four instances. So no, disconnecting the battery dis not fixed it.:-(
Poo - do you have another fob to try? My car came with two.

Also, has the stealership suggested re-syncing the fob to the car yet? I'd replace it's battery and bring it to them to re-pair. If that's still not working and the other fob has the same issue, I'd say it's the unit in the car that's having issues detecting properly. What stinks is that might be a pricy fix :\

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I do and I have brought both keys to dealer. However, they have not suggesting, that I am aware, re-syncing the keys. I wonder why?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
There should be no cost since the car is only 5600 miles and purchased in 2020.
With this few miles I'd bring it to them until it was fixed - They'll obviously keep pushing back but could you try driving the car to the place while it doesn't think the fob exists, proving to them it happens?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
For giggles, what happens when you put the fob up against the Start button?
That's a good point - OP, holding the fob directly to the start button should temporarily force it to recognize it.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Got a cell charger plugged into the outlet under the climate controls?

Unplug it.

See if the problem goes away.

You're welcome.

PS: It's specific to certain chargers. Others will not have the problem. I ran into this a couple of years ago and tossed the offending unit. I was able to conclusively run this down as I have RF gear; it's due to the BCM controlling power to that outlet; there is a small amount of parasitic power in the outlet when it is "off" which causes some chargers to oscillate on a frequency that interferes with the fob. Yes, Mr. Spectrum Analyzer was quite useful..... :)

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Got a cell charger plugged into the outlet under the climate controls?

Unplug it.

See if the problem goes away.

You're welcome.

PS: It's specific to certain chargers. Others will not have the problem. I ran into this a couple of years ago and tossed the offending unit. I was able to conclusively run this down as I have RF gear; it's due to the BCM controlling power to that outlet; there is a small amount of parasitic power in the outlet when it is "off" which causes some chargers to oscillate on a frequency that interferes with the fob. Yes, Mr. Spectrum Analyzer was quite useful..... :)
That's super interesting! I would never in a million years guessed something like that could happen.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I had something odd happen the other day, three times now, where the ignition thinks its on when you turn the car off. It did sat night as i was putting the rest of my autox gear in the car and i had to unlock it with the key for the first time ever. I think its cause my dash cam power supply is on the mirror circuit now and was causing a minute drain like Ticker said, and fooling the car into thinking the headlights were on or something else. The start button was orange, the door dinger was ringing and the tach surround was flashing at me. It did it once when i got to the track and not since, but i had also unplugged the camera at the track and it acted fine. Ive been turning the camera off and taking it off the mount and hasnt done it since. So i think i figured it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, thank you, unfortunately my Mazda does not have charger, or plug in that area. Still, I have plugged and unplugged items in the outlets under the center console, no results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts