Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I recently purchased a 2003 Mazda Atenza station wagon. It is the 2.3 L sports model. Now unfortunately this car has a variety of issues that have come to my attention since I purchased it. I am slowly working my way through them where I am able to.

The issue I want to address today is the high beam headlights. When I am driving with my normal headlights on, at random intervals the high beam lights flash on and off as well without any warning or regularity. This concerns me as I don’t want to alarm or blind other road users and also I know it is not legal to use your high beams in residential areas where I live.

Everything is fine with the lights besides the high beams flashing on every now and again. They work fine when I deliberately activate them and the low beam headlights aren’t affected.

If anyone can help me with any information this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It is possible that you have a grounded connection or a loose connection that will "activate" after a long drive.

If I may share a similar story, my CR-V 98 will "tremble" after driving it for an hour or two. It was impossible to replicate it since if I go to a shop, they can't feel any vibration during the test drive.

I went to the Honda dealership and the same thing happened, they couldn't pinpoint the problem.

I finally requested that someone come to me and I'll be the one to drive it. They didn't agree to drive it for a longer distance than I wanted to so I drove it hard hoping that way, it will "tremble".

Finally, the vibration occurred on our way back. The car was left there and the solution they found is to repack the grease.

So all I'm saying here is that if the problem is intermittent, looking for it will be a challenge.

And so I remember back then when the said car won't start. However, the car started when the mechanic arrived! How in the world will he troubleshoot something that is not working if it's working?

The joy and challenge of maintaining an old car.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Man, where do people get their username these days...

My suggestion, turn on your car and lights on your driveway after a long drive so everything is "hot". Tap the light switch on the steering column, the fuse box, the relay/fuse box in the engine, the headlights... hopefully by doing that you'll find the component causing the issue and then be able to narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Man, where do people get their username these days...

My suggestion, turn on your car and lights on your driveway after a long drive so everything is "hot". Tap the light switch on the steering column, the fuse box, the relay/fuse box in the engine, the headlights... hopefully by doing that you'll find the component causing the issue and then be able to narrow it down.
Yea, i was gonna suggest the switch/stalk too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone :)

I’ll try tapping all the components I can think of and see if I can figure something out.

I was wondering if there’s any chance a wire is frayed or exposed or something and as I drive it is making contact with another contractor wire which is causing the lights to flicker? I don’t know if this is something that happens but for those more knowledgeable out there could this be a possibility?

Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts