Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Buffalo, NY where apparently the only Mazda 6s available are either the 4-bangers or V6 automatics. This is maddening.

So I worked with a girl at Mazda USA to find one that's about 600 miles away from me. I've been talking to the salesman and he has agreed to give it to me for $1000 over invoice (which I verified as being correct) for a fully loaded 6s fully loaded stick.

1.) Is this a good deal?

He can have the car transported to my location, but of course this will cost around $600. Or I can take a bus to his dealership and drive it home which will be cheaper, but within the first day of owning my car I'll have put 600 miles on it. Fyi, this is the first brand new car I've ever owned.

2.) Any opinions on whether I should drive her home or have her transported? Any mechanical downside to driving it like that on day 1?

Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: Flatbed or drive it home

Damn! $600? You should try getting the dealer to have it transported for free! :D

·
Registered
736 Posts

The only mechanical downside I could possibly think of is not being able to (you are able to but aren't supposed to) go 55 mph for the first 1,000 miles or so. But if you do choose to drive it home, you will have broken it in earlier so it would be a much nicer car power wise to show off once you get it home. :)

·
Registered
628 Posts

Well, it is also recommended to vary your speed. That might be not so much fun for over 10 hours of driving.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

$1k over invoice is average, but you could do better. I paid about that much over invoice on a 6s manual I ordered, and from what I've heard around this forum, that's about average. People have done better, even on a 6s manual. There's a couple of national car carrier companies you could check with on price for transport to see if you could do better than $600. Or you could negotiate that down based on the price you're paying. Try pushing a bluff. Tell him you found a dealer that has one for $1100 over invoice, but only will charge you $200 to transport because he's closer, but it'll be a week longer before you get it. You might get the dealer into a corner where he doesn't want to lose the sale and he'll knock half off the transport (or knock something off the price). ;) Worth a shot!

I would probably opt for transport rather than drive it home because of the break-in requirements (under 55, vary RPMs). That would be a nightmare on a long trip.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Catch the Bus there & Drive it Home, As well as running it in , it will give you a good feel for the car as well !! Enjoy !

·
Registered
262 Posts

Agreed. The drive home should be fun. If possible, bring someone (or some people) along and make a road trip out of it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

'Til your CEL light comes on halfway home. Nothing like scrambling to find a Mazda dealer and a last minute motel. Or better yet, keep driving it not knowing what's wrong while potentially causing some damage. This probably won't be an issue, but you get to decide whether to gamble with $20k+. Talk down the $600 delivery. It's a small price to pay for breaking in a brand new car within the comfort of your home area and your local dealer. If you were buying a Corolla after umpteen model years of working out small bugs, I'd definitely suggest driving it home. But you've got a first year model and you don't know what TSBs were applied since you don't know how long it's been since the build date on the car.

·
Registered
468 Posts

drive it home...enignes are broken in from the factory...it's just the transmission that isn't. just be somewhat easy on the drive back.

·
Registered
980 Posts

If you do go decide to pick it up, go with at least one more person or else you might go nuts. Imagine the long drive back without someone to talk to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Flatbed or drive it home'

Bring a friend, drive it home and make a road trip out of it, I would.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So the dealer got back to me and his initial estimate of $600 to transport it here was off.

It's $800.

Ugh... but I just had an idea - I'll rent a UHaul car tower and an SUV for one day, and go get the thing myself! Total cost to me: about $200 including gas money. *And* I won't put any miles or undue stress on the vehicle. Eh? Ehhhh? :) I'm getting excited, won't be long now!

·
Registered
980 Posts

My suggestion is that if you are going to pick up the car you might as well drive it back home. You get to drive the 6 and break it in. It's like killing two birds with one stone

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

So the dealer got back to me and his initial estimate of $600 to transport it here was off.

It's $800.

Ugh... but I just had an idea - I'll rent a UHaul car tower and an SUV for one day, and go get the thing myself!  Total cost to me: about $200 including gas money.  *And* I won't put any miles or undue stress on the vehicle.  Eh?  Ehhhh?  :)  I'm getting excited, won't be long now![/b]
Good call, I forgot about that option. That's what the guy who bought my car did. Don't forget to take it for a spin before you accept it, load it up, and drive it home.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Flatbed or drive it home

You can drive it home and kill two bird with one stone but the drive home will be slow and painful since you are still breaking it in. The car will just want more. Plus you can not just put it in cruise because you need to vary your engine RPM for breaking in.

·
Registered
105 Posts

you idiot, what's the point of buying a car if you are too afraid to drive it!!

get a cheap ticket on Southwest or take the bus and drive back!!

I can't believe that you even considering hauling the car back. Breaking in the car around town by driving short distances will do more 'damage' than a long controlled dirve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts