Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that if I have all of my lights off (during the day), that if I flash my highbeams, it also flashes the HID low beams. As far as I know, flashing HID headlights is bad for them, as they need to heat up/cool down when they are used.

Was this an oversight by Mazda, or am I incorrect about HIDs?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
On my car, they stay on all the time.
[/b]
so youre saying you leave your headlights on the entire time you drive or that your HIDs stay on when you flash your highs?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tried this out once, with my headlights fully to "off". If you pull it in towards you I don't think the HID's lit up. But if you pushed it away from you, they did.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I urge everybody to go experiment with their car before replying to this thread. Because either you guys are wrong about how yours work, or our cars were all wired by blind, deaf monks in a secret underground Mazda factory.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The HID's do flash as well. If you look at your car at night with the high beams on, the HID's stay on. The high beams just add an additional light source along with the HID's for high beam.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The only thing is when you flash the high beams at night with you lights on, the fog lamps should turn off when you flash the high beams... "should" because if they don't its illegal...

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Back on topic, Dekz makes a valid point because a lot of people flash their lights and they are severely shortening the life of their HID's if the HID bulbs flash

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would you flash your lights during the day time?

Also, I think for the person that said they stay on all the time, Are you in Canada?
I read somewhere that the cars sold in canada the lights always stay on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I think for the person that said they stay on all the time, Are you in Canada?
[/b]
Yesterday I pulled up behind one of my friends and without thinking flashed my lights to get his attention. I then slapped myself in the forehead Doh! when I remembered that it flashes the HIDs on this car.

I am in Canada. We have what they call DRLs (daytime running lights). The MS6 (like most cars) runs the highbeams at a very low voltage at all times. However, as I've stated, when you turn on the highbeams, it will also turn on the HIDs, which is bad.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The HIDs on my MS6 also flash with the high beams.

Do you have some links that cite why flashing HID lamps shortens their life?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Meh. I noticed it the other day. But then I thought how often do I flash my lights? Maybe ONCE a year if that. I don't flash my lights at all for the reasons one would normally do it so I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
[/b]
Canada does indeed require cars to have DRLs (day time running lights) because of...hell, i dont know why. its one thing that pisses me off about driving etiquette; just cuz you turn your lights on due to the rain doesn't mean you know how to drive in it.

but anyways, you'd be surprised how effective flashing your lights during the day are. take a look in your rearview mirror next time you're on the highway, i guarantee someone has their stupid DRLs going. a lot of toyota cars have em and an increasing amount of domestics seem to have them too.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am beginning to think these Mazda engineers that everyone here thinks are so freaking smart are kind of stupid...

No boost gauge on a turbo car...
215 tires on a 3600 lb car...
AWD that's really rear wheel assist...
HIDs toggled to high beam flash...

Oh wait a minute... that white lighting guy just called and want his thread back!!! :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
There are a few reasons to flash your lights in the day:
1) Let oncoming traffic know there is a speed trap ahead and to slow down
2) If your pissed at someone and really want to let them know you can honk and flash them (not that I would recommend this type of behavior).

The DRL on the car don't use the HID, the HID's only go on when you flash or turn them on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are a few reasons to flash your lights in the day:
1) Let oncoming traffic know there is a speed trap ahead and to slow down
2) If your pissed at someone and really want to let them know you can honk and flash them (not that I would recommend this type of behavior).

The DRL on the car don't use the HID, the HID's only go on when you flash or turn them on.
[/b]

I despise DRLs, because too many drivers drive at night without turning on the rest of the car's lights. They assume that since they can see (my headlights are on, I can see in front of me!), then their lights are on.

What they forget is that their tail lights aren't on, and their car can't be seen easily from the rear.

The DRL function is poorly spec'd. It should have been designed so that all the car's lights are always on, or it should have been designed to include a photo-sensor that detects when it's not daytime anymore, so the rest of the lights automatically turn on. Either that or have DRLs disabled, forcing the driver to turn on the lights.

As for the MS6, the lights turn off automatically a few seconds after the car is locked, so you can just keep them on all the time. And then you don't have to worry about "flashing" the HIDs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the MS6, the lights turn off automatically a few seconds after the car is locked, so you can just keep them on all the time. And then you don't have to worry about "flashing" the HIDs.
[/b]
I think having my HIDs turn on and stay on EVERY time I drive the car would definately shorten their life more than the odd time I flash them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is "good driving etiquette" to flash your lights when someone is trying to merge into traffic (from the left or right) to let them know that there is space for them to get over. Trucks do this all the time. Truckers really appreciate this because it is difficult to approximate the distance 50 ft. behind out of a 5x9 mirror.

If you do not do this, try it sometime when a truck is trying to merge. Ten bucks says they will tap their brake lights or flash their hazards as a "thank you" for your help.

It is stupid that the HIDs flash when the high beams are flashed, but it also makes sense. They would have to install a separate controller for the high beams (if the HIDs run with high beams on) just so they wouldn't do this. Seems like a waste of money. Besides, I have never heard that flashing HIDs will diminish the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I despise DRLs, because too many drivers drive at night without turning on the rest of the car's lights. They assume that since they can see (my headlights are on, I can see in front of me!), then their lights are on.

What they forget is that their tail lights aren't on, and their car can't be seen easily from the rear. [/b]
But.......usually the DRL's are much dimmer than a regular headlight and don't give a lot of forward illumination, which should be hint #1 that their headlights aren't on. Also, DRL's don't turn on the dash lights which should give the driver hint #2 and if they have any intelligence at all they should know by then that their headlights and taillights aren't on.
But........you can't fix stupid.

The DRL function is poorly spec'd. It should have been designed so that all the car's lights are always on, or it should have been designed to include a photo-sensor that detects when it's not daytime anymore, so the rest of the lights automatically turn on. Either that or have DRLs disabled, forcing the driver to turn on the lights. [/b]
My previous car was a 2002 Impala. It had DRL's and automatic headlights. I never touched the headlight switch the whole time I owned the car. To be quite honest I sorta miss the automatic headlight feature, but its pretty easy for me to know when my headlights are on and when they should be on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
But.......usually the DRL's are much dimmer than a regular headlight and don't give a lot of forward illumination, which should be hint #1 that their headlights aren't on. Also, DRL's don't turn on the dash lights...
[/b]
A few weeks ago I had the misfortune of driving a loaner car while my MS6 was in for warranty work. The loaner, courtesy of Enterprise, was an 06 Toyota Corolla. It has DRL's and an electroluminescent dash that lights up whenever the ignition is on, which makes it harder to remember that your taillights are not lit.

Until I realized it had DRLs, I thought "hey cool, it has automatic headlights" but I later made a mental note to never own a Corolla because it had crappy dim headlights. The only reason I figured out it had DRLs was because I couldn't see the radio or HVAC controls, and then I flicked on the headlamp switch.

The Subaru LGT also has DRLs and an electroluminescent dash. Same thing happened to me during a night-time test drive before I bought my Mazda. I even remember asking the salesman if there was a blown fuse or something that they missed during their new-car-prep procedure, and then I remembered to turn on the headlamp switch!

DRL's are dumb. Turn 'em all on or make 'em manually operated. Too many forgetful or oblivious drivers (or drivers in unfamiliar cars, in my case) out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts