Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing my breaks with new pads up front, the hawk HPS pads, I was getting a very annoying squeel on ocassion. After install I tried lubing again but to no avail. However this time I was very thorough and I think I found the source of my problem.

For lack of my knowledge I am just going to call this a bracket. Anyway after greasing both sides and the surrounding area low and behold no more squeel! I also but a liberal ammount on the back of the pads this time but this seemed to fix my problem.

I remember reading a few people with having trouble with squeels on new pads no matter what they tried. It all made sense as soon as I ripped it out. Anyway I hope someone finds this useful. If anyone is planning a pad change I have more tons of pics of every step to help get you started if that is holding you back.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I greased them, then replaced the brackets where they were.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 pack of yuengling and I will.

·
Registered
703 Posts
i think that peice is a wear indicator. If the pads wear down far enough, the "bracket" will come in contact with the rotor and give you the squeeling noise. have you tried bending it away from the rotor? Or then again it could just be a dust shield.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be right but the brake pads themselves have a seperate "tab" that when they wear down far enough they will scrape the rotor. It seems to me like the hold the pad in place while you change them more then anything but who knows.

·
Registered
810 Posts
brake shims maybe?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good to me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts