Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although they dont have hinges available for bolt on assembly, theres always the universal application which can be applied to our mazdas. Instead of paying like a grand imma use my job to my advantage here and make my own set of hinges, so... heres my process begining with a test piece

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
just a heads up, it's been done before a couple times now. warning you that most on the forums over the years haven't been fans, so don't expect a whole lot of praise for it.

just remember, if you like it, that's what's important.

my .02 is suicide looks a lot cleaner on a 4 door.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
^^^ THIS. Have fun when the breeze catches your door and bends the shit out of your hinges.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ill be the first to say it but here it goes cause I know it's on everyone's mind...

RICE!!!!!!!!

Now with that being said, do what you want and I promise that I wont make fun of your mods or talk about you in a negative way because you went the RICE route. Have fun and keep us updated with pics. I like all your other work so far by the way.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sir, what you need are Delorean doors....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and a flux capacitor! lol, i do very much considers my mazda a ricer, rather look good an drive slow, i geuss u could say im maxin out $$$$ on the rice factor which is MY thing, i love it, at least respect that. but anywho's.. MrTeas ive not seen any new gens 09+ with a door up in the air yet but would loooove to see one so much, imma do it lol. And this thread here will be a complete guide on pretty much... installing lambo hinges on muh one of a kind 2009 Mazda 6!!! HERE WE GO!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so ive been looking at all the hinges out there and really thought this type would work best. I cant actually get any legit dimensions so basically estimated all the lengths and size based on the vertically pivitol pin saying that its .500"

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks, i think imma be able to get the dimensions down pat after a really good clear pic of GT' Factorys. But first off came the whole confusion with wats goin on inside the hinge and watnot so i threw a lil prototype together outta wood, removed the bumber, headlights, and fenders to see wat we got goin on. when i placed em up to the approx. spot the swing arm is not correct soo ill havta go back to the drawing and tweek and copy and work it out ill get em perfect

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
itll be .6450" thick at the swing arm, thought that .7500" might bee a bit wide but u really want the strenght. Plus the few thou's" of Niobium carbide coatings Ill be doing to this already hardened steel, dunno if sandblasting before or after the coatings will look best, just gotta test it out on some scrap tilll i get a cleeean look and figure out these dam radius inputs for the program codes which im a lil curios about

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres my best refrence pic of the hinge, i wrote up a manual coordinant plan/program running threw the sequenses of cuts for everything in straight line motions including the swing arm for ease of simply begining this all which now i prefer the smooth curve/arc look but having difficultys with circular cutting commands and specifying the center of the arcs radi since its only a portion of the arc i want.. Anyone familiar with Sodick AQ's? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well tommorow ill have pics with fender/bumper removed to test fit newer protoype and if it looks to clear the wheel wells and everything else ill be buring the actual parts same nite and have it all assembled (Just hingewise) What lb gas shocks should i look at for our doors? those are all i needa buy figure like $100.00?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts