Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week I had the oppurtunity to drive my brothers 03 6i with the 5spd manual. I've been an enthusiast for quite awhile, and when he called and told me he had just purchased it from the car dealership where he works, I told him I hated him. Its gonna be a whole year before I can get one because I'll be gone to a police academy a big chunk of next year, and the turd went and bought one before me! :irate:
lol..So I told him he better come down soon so I could see it, and this trip could'nt have been better for it. It covered about 1000 miles, of which I drove more than half, as my brother was'nt feeling well. Here are my thoughts....

His is silver with the sport appearance package, so of course it was gorgeous on the outside. Sitting in the drivers seat was very comfortable. I liked the layout of the gauges and how all the audio and climate controls were placed, though I thought they looked a little cheap to begin with. But they grew on me more and more throughout the trip. I especially like the look of the red backlighting as it began to get dark outside. The seat was firm, but not terribly so. The steering wheel is thin and small and feels light, and the steering itself is quick and precise. The shifter is well placed, and I never had any trouble finding a gear, once I got used to how it shifted. The clutch is my only gripe with the tranny, as it seemed very vague. There was no definite engagement point, but I got used to it as I learned to just push it in and out smoothly. It would be nice if had a little more feel though. The four cylinder had plenty of get up and go, which makes me even more excited about the fact that I plan on getting the v6. It was just like everyone said. It does'nt have the most horsepower, but what it does have is spread throughout the powerband, which makes it feel much quicker and sportier. The handling was superb, it turns like its on rails, and it held the road very well. Overall I loved the way it drove, and it was even better than I had imagined.

The stereo was nice as well. It was just the stock sinlge disc, but it had very clear, crisp, rich sound with every kind of music we listened to, from rock to classical, no matter how high we cranked it. Admittedly, I'm mostly comparing it with my daily driver, which is a Taurus, so I'm sure it was'nt all that great, but it sure sounded good to me!

Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend, and every time we stopped I could'nt wait to get get back in the 6 and start rolling again. I know now more than ever now that this is the car I want to buy. I just have to be patient and continue to save my money until the glorious day comes. Anyways, thanks for listening to a newbs recap of his first experience on the road in our beloved mazda 6.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How reliable is your brother's 03? I had many reliability issues with my 03 and I'm out of warranty. :swearin: So I'm fixing all those problems by myself now, some by dealers.

Here is the list I or the dealer fixed:

Fuse box falls off
Clutch squeak
A/C fan clicking noise
Foggy front windshield
Broken motor mount
Front power windows clunk noise
Bouncing idle
Fuse box falls off

Here is the list awaiting to be fixed:

Brake moan
Dashboard rattle
Front suspension clunk noise

So get a Mazda for the style, performance, and handling. Not reliability.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
for the most part i would still say your 03 is reliable. it seems the only malfunctions you've had is the broken motor mount and maybe the front suspension noise. but squeaks and rattles is common and not a reliability issue. i bought my 03 used and what i've had to take it to the dealer for was the fan controle module and its in the dealer now because it wasn't started on cooler mornings. they ruled out the fuel pump cause it didnt lose any pressure overnight. so they believe its electrical, maybe spark plugs or ignition...overall i'm happy and believe its reliable

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
My PT Cruiser was a 2003, it had 63k miles when I traded it in. I bought this car brand new in July, 2003 with 34 miles on the odometer.

- at 47k miles, front struts AND rear shocks went
- A/C compressor had a block at 47k
- rear seat fell down when stopping hard, latch broken
- car would have difficulty starting sometimes
- car would shake badly in reverse, even after..
- transmission REPLACED at 58k miles
- front wheel bearings went at 62k at the same time
- new front brake pads every 9k miles or so

The troubles you're listing are NOTHING for a 2003.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he's only had it since September, but he has'nt had any problems that I know of. Maybe the previous owner already dealt with them? I don't know, but the only problem I've noticed is that it does have the transmission lurch, especially in the lower gears. But this seems to plague many, if not all manual tranny 6's with stock clutches. It is annoying, but its something most of us can learn to live with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts