Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the first? I have 14,300 miles... A nail in one side-wall and the tread is just about down to the line... 15,000 miles and i'm already forced to spend 600 bucks

·
Registered
940 Posts
Am I the first? I have 14,300 miles... A nail in one side-wall and the tread is just about down to the line... 15,000 miles and i'm already forced to spend 600 bucks
[/b]
These have a very low treadwear rating - that is about all you get out of them. Pulled mine at 8000 and they were half gone (and I drive sanely) - numerous others have reported similar wear.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
nope you're not.. i'm on my 2nd pair at 17,000

i had mine changed at about 12,000 cause the inside wall of the passanger front tire was cut pretty badly... so they had to change all of them... mazda was bitching at me about it real bad.... (got them done from firestone/bridgestone)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you got new tires installed for 600, I wouldn't be so disappointed with the old ones. 600 for a new set of tires is outstanding.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure exactly what i'm getting... I wanted cheap.. they are 150 each... same ratings and size (a bit wider i think) as the stock.. .however they are different... Guy said they are probably better for street use...

TO replace with the same type... I think he quoted 230-270 each or something like that.. HUGE difference... and tires are tires to me right now... once I find the rims I like.. i'll actually dump some cash into a good set of rubber for em...

stock rims? 150 dollar tires is about what they're worth =)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
at 14,700 i need tires in about the next 500-1000 miles. i'm almost at the wear bar.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Odd thing is my rear tires wore out almost twice as fast as the front one's. They're finished. I still can't figure why. I've done about 8000 miles on them. Front tires are probably good for another few thousand.

Running on winters now and don't know what I'll replace them with.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Odd thing is my rear tires wore out almost twice as fast as the front one's. They're finished. I still can't figure why. I've done about 8000 miles on them. Front tires are probably good for another few thousand.

Running on winters now and don't know what I'll replace them with.
[/b]
With soft summer only tires, I rotate mine every 3000 miles or so to keep things even.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine were gone before 8k miles. They have a super low treadware rating, like 120 IIRC.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yoko es100's!

great value, solid wet/dry performance (for us in CA w/out winter concerns)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Getting mine changed next week at just a few miles over 13k. I have already ordered a set of BFgoodrich g-Force KDW's in 225/45R18, they have just as good performance (even a little better in the wet) and have a 300 tread wear rating instead of the potenza's miserable 140. Oh, and they are $60 cheaper on tirerack. BTW, OEM tires just in a 225 size instead of 215 are on sale at tirerack right now.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Getting mine changed next week at just a few miles over 13k. I have already ordered a set of BFgoodrich g-Force KDW's in 225/45R18, they have just as good performance (even a little better in the wet) and have a 300 tread wear rating instead of the potenza's miserable 140. Oh, and they are $60 cheaper on tirerack. BTW, OEM tires just in a 225 size instead of 215 are on sale at tirerack right now.
[/b]
I keep hearing the KDW's have rather soft sidewall - do you have experience to the contrary?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I whored my tires up to 18,000. They were slicks by the time I changed them out. :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
yoko es100's!

great value, solid wet/dry performance (for us in CA w/out winter concerns)
[/b]
They don't have them in stock size though.

I whored my tires up to 18,000. They were slicks by the time I changed them out. :D
[/b]
What did you replace them with?

Has anyone tried Toyo Proxes T1R 215/45ZR18 they sell for $229 canadian vs $319 for the stock one's.

I found the stock tires to be great. But $1280 + tax + shipping to replace them seems like a lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
HELLO!!!Is anyone else looking at going to a 225/40/18?????
This size has more choices, generally costs less and I think should handle and fit better??
Is there something about this size I am overlooking????

:cheers:
:hammerhea:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

·
Registered
940 Posts
HELLO!!!Is anyone else looking at going to a 225/40/18?????
This size has more choices, generally costs less and I think should handle and fit better??
Is there something about this size I am overlooking????

:cheers:
:hammerhea:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:
[/b]
Nope.

I agree - the change in speedo is negligible (58.7 shown at 60) if you are not worried about potholes and such (shorter sidewall) - I am strongly considering this size for my spring tires - I could not believe how much cheaper most places sell the 225/40 compared to the 225/45.

You might want to increase your font size on future posts though - a little small.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do the rear tires wear out faster than the front??? I figured that the tires would wear like a front-wheel drive car, I was assuming that the front wheels are delivering most of the power - is that correct? or should I expect the rears to go first?

I never used to rotate my tires on my old front-wheel drive, that way I would just replace the front tires instead of all four at once. I wasn't saving any money, just deferring the cost of all four tires at once.

I got a set of Michelin Pilot PS2's on my MS6 and have one brand new tire sitting in the basement. Since these are $250 each, I was hoping to just buy one and then replace the front tires.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Do the rear tires wear out faster than the front??? I figured that the tires would wear like a front-wheel drive car, I was assuming that the front wheels are delivering most of the power - is that correct? or should I expect the rears to go first?

I never used to rotate my tires on my old front-wheel drive, that way I would just replace the front tires instead of all four at once. I wasn't saving any money, just deferring the cost of all four tires at once.

I got a set of Michelin Pilot PS2's on my MS6 and have one brand new tire sitting in the basement. Since these are $250 each, I was hoping to just buy one and then replace the front tires.
[/b]
Rotating tires is not just about moving the tires you destroyed through burnouts to the other end - rotate them regularly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts