Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Speed6 for an oil change yesterday. I asked for the power loss re-flash. They went to http://portal.mazdausa.com/[bla bla bla], plugged in my VIN number and there it was listed, under lack of power.

The service guy said I had to leave the car since the re-flash takes a couple of hours. I did not have the time so I said next time. Is this true? Can it take 2+ hours? I though it was just a plain download...

That aside, and I realize this may have been covered already but I am here writing anyway... Is it safe to use synthetic oil?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
No, it doesn't take that long. I went to my local dealer and with one mechanic, hd did the oil change, updated the WDS and did the powerloss recall in under an hour.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The reflash should only take a few minutes, I was in and out in about 45 minutes total. Yes, synthetic is not only safe, but it is needed in the Speed 6. People disagree as to when to start running it, but past 1,000 miles you are probably fine. I put mine in close to 10,000, but many people here changed to synthetic much sooner than that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That’s what I thought. In fact, when I asked him why it would take that long, he said because of re-programming the ECU, who knows?

Because of this he offered me free rental. Not knowing exactly what they need to do I agreed to leave my car there for half a day next time I go for an oil change...

Dave, where did you go? I went to Tom Wood Mazda (East side)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I took my Speed6 for an oil change yesterday. I asked for the power loss re-flash. They went to http://portal.mazdausa.com/[bla bla bla], plugged in my VIN number and there it was listed, under lack of power.

The service guy said I had to leave the car since the re-flash takes a couple of hours. I did not have the time so I said next time. Is this true? Can it take 2+ hours? I though it was just a plain download...

That aside, and I realize this may have been covered already but I am here writing anyway... Is it safe to use synthetic oil?
[/b]
* Mine took almost 2 hours (I think the tech was moving in 2 speed, slow and slower!!!).
* If the dealer is cool, they might give you a loaner.
* OK to use synthetic, read that it is recommended on turbo engines b/c of high heat. I'm using it now, only have 4K miles.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Thanks guys. That’s what I thought. In fact, when I asked him why it would take that long, he said because of re-programming the ECU, who knows?

Because of this he offered me free rental. Not knowing exactly what they need to do I agreed to leave my car there for half a day next time I go for an oil change...

Dave, where did you go? I went to Tom Wood Mazda (East side)
[/b]
Post I made yesterday was apparently lost, but here it is in a nutshell.
Hubler Mazda in Greenwood. Dedicated Mazda shop. Service Manager drives a modified RX-8 and is very cool.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You can always use syn oil at anytime. It's a myth about it not being safe. It's becoming very common as a factory fill now.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

[/b]
Couple of hours?! What a joke!

I just had the re-flash done today, and observed from the service desk. (The service rep was looking up some other warranty stuff for me on the computer.)

It took longer for the service tech to drive the car in and hook up the computer than it took to complete the update. 5-10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I usually go to Hubler Mazda South in greenwood, they are fast and know what they are doing. I would have bought my car there, but at the time they wouldn't offer the best price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just had my 1st service, car had 200 miles on it when i drove it in. They did the reflash no questions asked, and they replaced the oil with synthetic. The cost of the oil change was close to 100 as they charge 10.50 per quart for Mobil 1 5w20. I complained about the high cost and they comped the filter and labor so the net cost was the same as buying my own oil. Do any of you guys think its an issue using 5w20 vs. 5w30 as recommended by Mazda? Thats all they stocked at the dealership otherwise I would have asked for the 5W30. I got a loaner without any issues, although it was a pretty dirty Mazda 3. I dont really care as I its a lot easier than having to find a ride to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts