Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i'm hoping that some of you guys who know more than me about engines can give me an opinion on a couple questions i have after my first "breakdown" with my 04 6s (mtx).

i had been noticing a little sluggishness for a couple weeks and then my cel told me i wasn't just hallucinating. took miss piggy (so named partly b/c of turning radius and partly due to gas consumption) to the dealer and they determined it was a faulty ignition coil, replaced it under warranty. they also found that there was a pcm reprogramming that needed to be done (first referred to it as a recall... is reprogramming really a recall?). anyways, my car seems fast as hell now.. huge difference off the line. it used to be that under 3500k and over were two different worlds, with a noticable surge in power as i passed 4k until about 5500. the surge is still there but much less pronounced as the car is already gaining speed rapidly from 2k on.

i have some questions that i didnt really want to ask the service guys..

first, was the increase in lower rpm power due to the reprogram or the now fixed ingnition coil or both?

second, did i possibly screw up the ignition coil by driving too aggressively? i love to drive my girl hard, I try to keep it over 3-4k rpm in the "sweet spot" i find there as much as possible. i have spent many gallons of gas experimenting with revving past the "red line" at 6500 (seems like its really just a tad over 7k) to drop in at different places after shifting. i hit the govener sometimes. am i screwing up the car? all my reflexes are wrong now with the totally changed low end anyways, shoould i learn different habits?

last, i paid $120 for "throttle body service" at the recomendation of the service manager. what the heck is that? i did it because everything else was under warranty and i had expected to spend sone cash anyways, but now i'm trying to figure out what exactly they did?

thanks for any insights

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i wouldn't think you should have to pay anything unless you're over 12k miles

even then there is a throttle body service bulletin...hmmm...odd

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
did i possibly screw up the ignition coil by driving too aggressively? i love to drive my girl hard, I try to keep it over 3-4k rpm in the "sweet spot" i find there as much as possible. i have spent many gallons of gas experimenting with revving past the "red line" at 6500 (seems like its really just a tad over 7k) to drop in at different places after shifting. i hit the govener sometimes. am i screwing up the car? all my reflexes are wrong now with the totally changed low end anyways, shoould i learn different habits?
[/b]
Read this thread from post#8 onward

last, i paid $120 for "throttle body service" at the recomendation of the service manager. what the heck is that? i did it because everything else was under warranty and i had expected to spend sone cash anyways, but now i'm trying to figure out what exactly they did?
[/b]
throttle body problem

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read this thread from post#8 onward
throttle body problem
[/b]

hmm i've read the fisrt thread you linked to before, i reread it though.. it is mostly about breaking in the engine. i wish i had read it before i got the car, but i didn't do too badly. one guy does say to use the entire rpm range constantly.. is that the general opinion that people go by?

the second link is interesting.. the dealer said the throttle body service was part of regular scheduled maintenance at 20k miles, but looking at the schedule on mazda's site there isnt any such thing as far as I can tell. on the other hand, the bill was labor only, no parts, and the tsb says you cannot service the throttle body part that is malfunctioning and therefore must replace the entire assembly... so did they actually do anything at all, or did I just give up $120 and they are all laughing, the old muffler bearrings joke?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I'm suspecting that they charge you for a warranty repair.

If I were you, I printed out the TSB for this problem, take it to the dealership with your receipt and ask them why they charge you for it. Hopefully you can get your money back.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You may also want to ask what was covered by this throttle body service... I call BS on them! I'm at 30K and my TB is just dandy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Mazda Gremlyn
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing